Question for all those with Spaniels

minimex2

Visit site
Dont know if its coincidence but our cocker spaniel seems to always want to go and befriend other Spaniels as appose to other breeds. Doesnt matter where or when but is completely different (happy) when he see's one.

Do you think they are aware of different breeds ? Are yours like this or do you thing its pure coincidence ?

x

Dobiegirl

Visit site
I have a Dobe bitch who is nervous of other dogs but she is always pleased to see a fellow Dobe so I do belive they know what they are and recognise their own breed.:)

Nickijem

Visit site
My springers are definitely more friendly with other spaniels than with different breeds. Moreover, they can definitely recognise spaniels they are related to! Holly, my 7month old pup is quite nervous of other dogs and will just run back to me when other dogs come along and Purdey my older spaniel just ignores other dogs as she is usually too busy. However, a few weeks ago, we met the breeder on a walk with her mum, dad, grandma and two of her brothers. I have never seen my dogs so excited to see other dogs before. Purdey was up on her back legs waving her front legs around with excitement! They have never reacted like that before or since when meeting other dogs!

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Yes I definitely believe they recognise their own breed, I think they also recognise other familiar breeds. Pickle, my daughters Lancashire Heeler, loves my GSD and always gets very excited when he sees other GSDs, more so than other breeds.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Mine aren't bothered about other dogs (except naughty Zak :(). Moreover, there are three springers we sometimes meet and Brig, unusually for him, absolutely hates them! Contrary dogs!

Elle123

www.ellaporterphotography.co.uk
Yes :D Pixel is. Which is even more bizarre considering how little sight she has, it met be partly the spaniel mannerisms then :)

Oh and with my mums black lab, he ignores all other bitches, apart from yellow lab bitches, like a moth to a flame! ;)

fallenangel123

Visit site
Sorry to hijack but there is a collection of spaniel owners here. Quick question... Do they have bones? We met a young cocker out walking today who wagged like an epileptic snake, seriously the whole thing wriggled when it wagged and I have seen a similar phenomenon in springers too. I'm thinking there must only be leg bones!

Actually I am almost tempted from my Danes to get one.