Question for any vets on here (sorry, not horsey...)

Minnies_Mum

Visit site
Hi, hope it's OK that this isn't strictly horse related, but I'm in a bit of a pickle and would love some help!

I'm a vet student with a pathology project that's giving me some problems. The case is a 10 year old WHWT with rapid development of bilateral testicular enlargement and a non regenerative anaemia. My first thought was a sertoli cell tumour but it doesn't look like that histologically. In fact, it mostly looks normal, so I'm thinking hyperplasia?

Been researching t'internet but not much useful info. Anybody know whether anything causing hyperplasia would be related to the anaemia? Could it be related to a prostate problem?

Thanks for reading, sorry it's a bit random.

Fairynuff

Visit site
Im having a stab in the dark here
grin.gif
. Could the two symptoms be unrelated? The hyperplasia due to ??????????? and the non regenerative anaemia due to EIA or some other parasite? Okay, I will go to the bottom of the class
blush.gif
.M.

Happy Horse

community.webshots.com
[ QUOTE ]
sorry not a vet but why not try contacting liphook or new market by e-mail i know liphook used to have good site .

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd certainly advise against contacting either - they will tell you to do the research yourself. Trust me I used to work at one and we'd receive loads of emails from vet students and I used to have to type the reply emails!

Minnies_Mum

Visit site
Don't worry I won't be contacting them...just wondered if anyone on here could point me in the right direction (cheeky, I know). In any case, Liphook wouldn't be able to help me much, seeing as the case is a dog not a horse! Thanks for the replies anyway.

I'm starting to wonder if the symptoms are unrelated too...bit sneaky of my tutors if they are, but not unlikely knowing them!

star

Visit site
was going to say - a WHWT is a Westie - it's a dog problem so Liphook wont help even if they could and it cant be EIA as dogs dont get that!

I am a small animal vet, but I have to say it sounds random - non regen anaemia means the bone marrow isn't functioning to replace the rbc's - are there any tumours that can affect bone marrow and testicles? or is testicular swelling oedema due to a hypoproteinaemia - sorry, dont think i'm being much help. i'd be really interested to hear what it turns out to be!

Minnies_Mum

Visit site
Well, a sertoli cell tunour can suppress the bone marrow, but I don't think it looks like one on histology (I really am not very good at hostology, I'm hoping my friend will have a look at it and say "ooh, of course that's a sertoli cell tumour!").

I'm off to have another look at it tomorrow. Thanks for the replies!