Question for breeders.

koeffee

Visit site
How many of you have bought mares with the idea of breeding from them, only to find when you get them home, get to know them find they are not really what you want to breed nor sweet enough to want to breed from?? Reason i ask is i was called all the names under the sun today and im a scumbag dealer for selling i mare i bought last year and not giving her a life time home, and she will ruin my stud name as its what im about!!!

Revena

Visit site
That's absurd! Did you say that she would definitely have a lifetime home? It would be different if she asked you at the time to let her know if you ever got rid of the mare. Nobody would take this seriously if she did spread this story around as horses move around, horse people are aware of that. Circumstances always change. Do not worry about this woman, it's ridiculous!

Mugsgame

Visit site
How many of you have bought mares with the idea of breeding from them, only to find when you get them home, get to know them find they are not really what you want to breed nor sweet enough to want to breed from?? Reason i ask is i was called all the names under the sun today and im a scumbag dealer for selling i mare i bought last year and not giving her a life time home, and she will ruin my stud name as its what im about!!!

And... you were asked this by someone who (instead of giving her a lifetime home themselves :eek: ) SOLD her on to you.... LOL! Lost for words a little.... :D

Mugsgame

Visit site
Yes, I think I would have been a little irritated!!! Of course we all want the best for our animals, so maybe it is a compliment that the person would rather the horse had stayed with you - but quite a blinkered view on reality it seems!! Rather you than me is all I can say!!

eventrider23

Visit site
NO one can offer a lifetime home as we never know what circumstances will come up in someone's life that mean you have to sell a horse on so is ridiculous from that aspect alone but yes I totally agree with you that from your perspective you are doing what is best for the mare in question.....what is worse? Keep a horse that doesn't suit your breeding programme or that you do not think is a suitable broodmare (whether at all or for your purposes) and thus produce foals that could potentially be labelled as 'irresponsibly' bred....or do the responsible thing and find a home for her where she will be appreciated for her own qualities. I know which option I would choose!

AMH

Visit site
I think some people think that if they allow their animal to go to someone for breeding purposes that it will have a home for life, simply because they don't understand the way breeding programmes work. The whole point, IMO, is that one tries to breed to improve, so even if you like the mare and she produces good stock, it might not suit your plans to hold on to it for ever.

I think this says more about the previous owner than you!

welshsporthorse

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Obviously dont know the person or horse but maybe they could not ride her properly, sold her as a brood mare and now having heard that she is to be ridden may be ashamed in their community that they could not do the job. Just guessing knowing the small introverted equine community we live in.