Question for owners of TB Ex-racehorses

jacksmum

Visit site
Sorry for the numpty question but interested to see what others do.
Having to move my ex racer and am looking at different livery options.
Currently in the running are DIY assisted with daytime turnout only and DIY on a farm with a stable there but horse can stay out 24/7 if wanted (field has trees for shelter)

Now my question is that my boy is 9 and has raced most of his life so has been in a lot.
Currently he is out 24/7 on fab grass and is very chilled and putting on weight nicely.
So can they convert to 24/7 ok in winter or is it better to give them more of a routine and pamper them more which the yard would give him?
And does anybody compete from 24/7 turnout or would that be just too much like hard work?! :D

ihatework

Visit site
It is very much dependant on the horse!
But with plenty of hay, correct rugging etc. often the TB's are better rides for being out 24/7

dessmont

Visit site
Not got an ex racer myself but I do have a TB. they're tricky criters to keep weight on - I tend to bring her in a night after she's been clipped otherwise the weight seems to drop off her no matter how much she's given. I find that even with ad lib haylage she will only ever eat her fill and thats that!

I dont see why he couldnt winter out, so long as he's dry, well fed and warm. I've competed through the winter when they've been out 24/7 - I think its just a matter of organisation and allowing plenty of time to de-mud hocks and knees. Get a rug that covers him from head to toe then at least you havnt got a mane dreadlocked with mud to deal with!!

Sleepeeze_dad

Visit site
Not so sure with this one but given he's a complete wimp and really does get cold in a slight autumn breeze with drizzle behind it, I'm stabling overnight this winter, apart from our new yard we have to do it (after last year when a livery left their TB out all the time with barely a rug). Apparently it didn't do well at all and the owner got very nasty when challenged by the YO.

Last winter his stable was in his field so he could wander in and out when he wanted but he was seriously rugged up for what was a serious winter...

Think if he's used to being brought in and spoilt he may be better off if he has the same routine?

Nocturnal

Visit site
In theory I think mine would love living out, but practically speaking, he's so sensitive that he has to come in over night to dry off and keep warm. If I were you I'd pick the farm, as then at least you have the option.

Kenzo

Visit site
It is very much dependant on the horse!
But with plenty of hay, correct rugging etc. often the TB's are better rides for being out 24/7

agree with above, if it suits both you, your horse and the livery yard, after all it's totally natural providing there within a heard and not left out on there own.

If your horse has certain field companions that will be coming in sometimes they can stress out more being left out, so it's really down to the horse and your facilities at the livery yard, TB's seem to thrive better on routine though, so as long as your horse is in one, not matter what it is, should adjust fine.

akashapachamama

Visit site
Is your ex racer TB called Jack? Mine too!
He is out 24/7 like yours at the moment but I definitely think he needs to be in at night during the winter, he drops condition so fast and really needsd a warm stable and pampering. I am lucky to keep my lot at home so theres no restricted turnout, I keep him out for as long as possible during day in the winter.
However, as others said, each horse is different. as long as your tb is warm and fed enough haylage Im sure he could manage either way. I'd be inclined to go with the 2nd option so he could live out if he was happierbut he would have somewhere to go if the weather was really horrendous.

jacksmum

Visit site
Is your ex racer TB called Jack? Mine too!

No my old boy is Jack but it does seem to be a popular name!
Thanks for the replies and PM's, not as manylive in as i thought they did.
Was just feeling a bit guilty at stabling him so much when he has been shut in most of his life.

R2R

Visit site
My new boy is now in as he dropped off (even though he had a rug on) when the weather turned.... rug or not they are sensitive souls and unlike hardy ponies are bred to be in :D

beer101

Visit site
My ex racer was also in training for along time,(9 yrs, he's 12 now). He just loves being out, but not 24/7, he prefers to come in at night. It can be tricky to keep weight on them especially through the winter, but as the others have said good rugs, plenty of hay/hayage, and hard feeds, will help.Try Allen and Page's Calm and Condition it works for my boy- he's looking really good on it.
So long as your field has some shelter and doesn't 'poach up' badly if it gets wet, and most importantly-your boy is happy to stay out; then why not keep him out. Just invest in a good brush to remove the mud and watch out for signs of mud fever, TB's do have fine skins.

catembi

Visit site
Mine is out, but with a field shelter which he does use.

It's my first winter with a TB so we shall have to see how we go, but my preference would be to leave out. He lives at home, so I can feed 3 times a day.

Jzee

Visit site
Mine is in a nice safe cosy stable at night in the winter as the bogey man comes out after dark in the winter - judging by the hysterical way he comes in... he'd be a wreck if he lived out!

Funny how he doesn't visit in the summer months.

Chestnuttymare

www.ipcmedia.com
Mine would have a total fit if I even suggested living out but she is stupidly wimpy.
My friend broke her anke one winter and she had to turn hers out 24/7. They had really good heavy rugs on and they all seemed to love it and none lost condition.
I think it depends on the horse, and you know him best. I suppose you could try it and if it didn't suit go to plan b and use the stable.
Most of them thrive on routine as that is what they know from being on a racing yard.

Perrie

Visit site
One of mine is a TB but not an ex racer.

She thrives being out 24/7 but does have a field shelter should she want to use & she does.
She gets heavily rugged in the depths of winter & is fed accordingly which is up to 3 meals a day.

XxX

D66

Visit site
Ours likes to be out in the field in the summer, we have difficulty dragging him into the stable for a groom! However in the winter he is waiting by the gate at dusk to be let into his stable. I think he could cope if he had to, but I'll echo the others who say he'll need rugs, and a shelter or somewhere dry to stand. FWIW Ours keeps the weight on much better when he is fed a feed balancer.

Dizzle

Visit site
I wish I could have mine out 24/7 365 but I just couldn't find a yard that would offer me the facilities/location and all year 24/7 turnout, last year he spent 2 weeks turned out over Christmas in a heavy weight rug with no neck in the snow and ice and didn't loose a pound.

He is far happier out naked than anything else, tonight he is the ONLY horse out overnight with no rug, he's always the least rugged and I'm yet to find him standing at the gate wanting to come in.

His field is very well drained but last year in a differenct field he did get mud fever so even if he were out 24/7 over winter I would want the option of a stable, just in case.

BubbleDog

Visit site
Mine is an ex racer and living out 24/7 even in the summer didn't suit him at all. I think he needs to come in for a sleep because over a period of time he got grumpier and grumpier but after I bought him in for a night he reverted back to his sweet little self. I'm don't think the lack of routine suited him either, and I know I'd never be able to keep decent weight on him over winter, it's hard enough with him living in over winter.

Jazzaria

www.sikytamedia.com
Mine is out 24/7 in summer then out in the day and in at night in winter unless it's extreme rain as field will be churned up, or snow and they won't see the electric fencing :) :) :):) :) xxxxxxxxxxxxxx