Question for professional grooms

blitznbobs

Visit site
In a normal working day? Including all the necessaries - mucking our grooming , to field and back etc - and those of you who ride as well how many horses can you do the above and exercise etc assuming a 5 day full time job ? Thanks for any info of what is reasonable and what would make a job more or less attractive

ihatework

Visit site
It depends on the standard to be done tbh.

If top-notch standard, 3-4 horses incl. riding.

If to a reasonable but not fancy standard then up to 6 horses, of which a couple might be exercised.

Getting beyond that, although common place, then standards slip

BBP

Visit site
Eventers/SJ in NZ- Between me and my pro rider we used to do 12, riding 5 each and 2 would have a day off. But all lived out in pairs so it was just rolling through each pair, bring in, groom, ride, any trim/pull/clip, then chuck out and grab next two. Then tack clean to finish the day.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I used to do 8, all the mucking out and exercising but a part timer came in to tack up/untack for me in the mornings so I could just hop on and off them. I then did all the clipping and other yard jobs in the afternoon before evening yards. I started very early and the yard was an easy one to manage efficiently, and all turnout was nearby so no long walks to turn out or fetch in. I had a youngstock as well but they weren't so intensively managed.

Having said all that, it was my yard so the workload was my choice. I wouldn't ask a groom to do that many!