Question for those who were horse owners in the 1970's

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
When did cross surcingles come in? Were rugs in the 70's (I'm guessing jute stable rugs, New Zealand canvas turnouts and wool day rugs) done up with leather straps at the chest, leg straps/fillet string and single surcingles? Was the spider system around then?

Thanks. :)

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
In the eighties I remember jute stable rugs and wool day rugs with a separate roller. Green canvas New Zealand, I can't remember what sort of surcingle it had but it had leg straps.

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
From the late ‘60’s I had a jute stable rug with a roller. For turnout a green canvas New Zealand, grey blanket lining and a fixed surcingle.
I don’t recall getting a turnout with cross surcingles until the ‘80’s.

In the 70's most horses & ponies didn't have rugs - it was only the "posh" people who rugged.

Yay. I’ve never been called posh before.?

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I’m getting all nostalgic and thinking about Daniel Crane paintings now. Probably infringe copyright if I post one but worth looking on his website if you like lovely horsey paintings ?

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
I worked in a 'posh' yard!
The horses stood in all winter with no turnout.
They had canvass rugs with rollers. They all had under blankets which we pulled up at the front like the beginnings of a paper aeroplane then folded back on top of the rug and under the roller.

I’d forgotten that.
Also the huge piece of sponge or folded blanket to stop pressure under the roller.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I still have cotton string sweat rugs about 35 years old and still working well - maybe a little faded. The first new zealand rugs I remember had a surcingle attached on one side. It was set back from the girth groove. These rugs were heavy, leather leg straps, felt lined and always slipped sideways.

The leg straps were that smelly pigskin that went squishy in the rain.

catkin

Visit site
The leg straps were that smelly pigskin that went squishy in the rain.
and the front strap was the same - it looped through two slots in the canvas.

The first cross-over surcingles I remember were on Lavenham stable rugs - navy blue with red binding and straps. They were thought by Old School types to be some new-fangled fad in the early 1980s. They may have been around earlier but remember that sort of date at I had a young TB who had one (we was thought very swish ;) )

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
and the front strap was the same - it looped through two slots in the canvas.

The first cross-over surcingles I remember were on Lavenham stable rugs - navy blue with red binding and straps. They were thought by Old School types to be some new-fangled fad in the early 1980s. They may have been around earlier but remember that sort of date at I had a young TB who had one (we was thought very swish ;) )

Yup, see the ad above, that would have been 60s or very early 70s.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
Ah the good old days........ one New Zealand rug that went on October to March and a jute stable rug. Both so stiff you could hardly get them on the horse. Life was so much simpler then; no dentists, no physios, no supplements, no saddle check every few months ?
And by 15 horses were considered veterans without many years riding life left!

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
From the late ‘60’s I had a jute stable rug with a roller. For turnout a green canvas New Zealand, grey blanket lining and a fixed surcingle.
I don’t recall getting a turnout with cross surcingles until the ‘80’s.
Pretty much this though I was on my 4th pony in the 80s before I owned a rug (just for shows mind you ? ) no rugs in stable or field. I do remember thatching a sweaty pony with a bran sack and straw though they were usually turned out to roll in the mud to dry off.