Question re Ifor Williams trailer/Honda CRV

marioforever

Visit site
I passed my driving test well before 1997 but am I right in thinking that the only Ifor Williams trailer I can safely tow is their mare and foal one, the HB403? My CRV is a 2005 2L petrol automatic and I know not ideal for towing. I have one 15 hand horse and only ever want to carry her. A friend of mine tows a Ifor 505 with one horse with the same car, but I dont want to be unsafe or illegal! Perhaps this is one for ROG. Would be grateful if anyone can help. Thanks

horserugsnot4u

Visit site
I think the older style CRV has a towing capacity of 1500kg (newer diesel 2k) so on that basis and carrying only one horse you should be okay but probably best to wait for a more professional answer.

ROG

Visit site
I passed my driving test well before 1997 but am I right in thinking that the only Ifor Williams trailer I can safely tow is their mare and foal one, the HB403? My CRV is a 2005 2L petrol automatic and I know not ideal for towing. I have one 15 hand horse and only ever want to carry her. A friend of mine tows a Ifor 505 with one horse with the same car, but I dont want to be unsafe or illegal! Perhaps this is one for ROG. Would be grateful if anyone can help. Thanks

ANSWERED HERE in post number 757 :D

marioforever

Visit site
Thanks ROG. Have checked my CRV Handbook and it says 1600kgs, so prob a 505 would be okay. Would prefer a single trailer but they are so hard to come by secondhand and just cant afford to pay the VAT on top for new. 505's are much more common and easier to get hold of. You may just have saved me at least a £1000 pounds, so thank you again! My husband will be pleased!

ROG

Visit site
Thanks ROG. Have checked my CRV Handbook and it says 1600kgs, so prob a 505 would be okay. Would prefer a single trailer but they are so hard to come by secondhand and just cant afford to pay the VAT on top for new. 505's are much more common and easier to get hold of. You may just have saved me at least a £1000 pounds, so thank you again! My husband will be pleased!
With you having a B+E licence you have two things to remember

You MUST NOT exceed the trailer plated MAM weight
You SHOULD NOT exceed the towing capacity for the vehicle

I am just waiting for someone to mention the MYTH doing the internet rounds which says that the trailer MAM cannot be more than the vehicle towing capacity ......... any takers?