Question regarding difficult saddling

RichardRider

Visit site
Any thoughts on how to curb a 12 yr old Selle Francais's habit of constantly pawing and digging the ground while saddling? For a horse that supposedly was schooled and did some competition, acting so stupid and moving about when saddling, well, just doesn't add up...Have offered(daughter of a local farmer,) free livery if I could ride it while she's working, mine horse now 20 and getting a bit on. I'm 66(getting a bit on myself,) and just don't want the HASSLE if I can't find a gentle, intelligent way of stopping this. That being said, the horse is 12 and this isn't normal...

Appreciate any advice. Alreaady had some thoughts in "club house," on the "good morning" thread but wanted to try here as well...Owner back from vacation and am supposed to see her today. Will try to get some REAL answers as what this horse has been up to...Thanks in advance...rr

albeg

Visit site
What's the saddle fit like? I'd want to rule out pain/discomfort. Is it only when you approach with the saddle or does she react when you groom?

ThreeWBs

Visit site
Sounds like he is in pain or has discomfort with the saddle. This could be:

- Ill fitting saddle
- Muscle pain
- Ulcers
- Kissing spine

I would suggest the owner gets a vet to get to the bottom of the issue. The horse is trying to tell you he's not happy!

RichardRider

Visit site
The mare does exactly the same with the saddle "fit" and used by her owner. We've ridden out one(before she left on vacation,) and the mare was difficult even for her...Not dangerous, she really a sweet horse, but just, for me, not(or never) schooled...rr

RichardRider

Visit site
Sounds like he is in pain or has discomfort with the saddle. This could be:

- Ill fitting saddle
- Muscle pain
- Ulcers
- Kissing spine

I would suggest the owner gets a vet to get to the bottom of the issue. The horse is trying to tell you he's not happy!

But, then would she be adorable once out on a long hack, as she was three weeks ago???

albeg

Visit site
But, then would she be adorable once out on a long hack, as she was three weeks ago???

Possibly. When my saddle needed adjusting my guy was fidgety to tack up, reactive to mount, but once you got him walking was perfect.

If it's independent of the saddle used I'd definitely look at possible pain causes. Alternatively it could be that neither saddle is a suitable fit.

HeyMich

Visit site
Also, the mare acts like this just attached by her head collar, before a saddle or pair of reins even gets within 5 meters???

What happens if you give her a hay net? Mine fidgets like an idiot if I tie her up anywhere, but with a hay net to keep her occupied, she stands like a wee lamb.

If it's not something as simple as food or company, then I'd be thinking along the lines of pain/discomfort somewhere... Saddle fit, ulcers etc.

RichardRider

Visit site
What happens if you give her a hay net? Mine fidgets like an idiot if I tie her up anywhere, but with a hay net to keep her occupied, she stands like a wee lamb.

If it's not something as simple as food or company, then I'd be thinking along the lines of pain/discomfort somewhere... Saddle fit, ulcers etc.
Will try the hay net today. She's quite greedy when I'm doing morning feed, but not over baring with regard to my horse, as some have been in the past...Thanks, will go load up a hay net....Her owner's due any minute....rr

be positive

Visit site
I know three like this, the first is due to the child never being consistent when tacking up, he faffs about and pony just wants to get done, she stands well enough for me, the second same home did come with a badly fitting saddle and I don't blame her for showing resentment, she was here for 2 weeks and stood quietly by the time she went home and still will if asked but will fidget if allowed.
The third I have nothing to do with but do see regularly behaving like a complete idiot, the owner makes excuses for him that are really just accepting he is completely bad mannered, it might be discomfort but his manners seem to be pretty non existent so it is unlikely.
The mare could have any number of reasons for how she is, seeing her owner and how they deal with her could be very telling, if never corrected a young horse being a little impatient can escalate into far more, this applies ridden as well as on the ground and often they will be mannerly rides.

RichardRider

Visit site
I know three like this, the first is due to the child never being consistent when tacking up, he faffs about and pony just wants to get done, she stands well enough for me, the second same home did come with a badly fitting saddle and I don't blame her for showing resentment, she was here for 2 weeks and stood quietly by the time she went home and still will if asked but will fidget if allowed.
The third I have nothing to do with but do see regularly behaving like a complete idiot, the owner makes excuses for him that are really just accepting he is completely bad mannered, it might be discomfort but his manners seem to be pretty non existent so it is unlikely.
The mare could have any number of reasons for how she is, seeing her owner and how they deal with her could be very telling, if never corrected a young horse being a little impatient can escalate into far more, this applies ridden as well as on the ground and often they will be mannerly rides.

Well, hay net is ready and waiting. The mare was bottle fed, having lost mother at birth. She gallops across the paddoct at the sight of her young owner like something out of a "Lassie Come Home" movie. She's extremely willing and very good natured in the paddock. I'd love for this situation to work out but we'll see. Currently waiting for her owner....Will report back after posing my "probing" questions, lol....

Thanks everyone...rr

RichardRider

Visit site
I automatically give a horse hay when grooming/tacking up. Apart from encouraging them to want to stand still for you, it helps to line the stomach and thus contributes to ulcer avoidance.

Yes, I do with my horse, and ALWAYS some grain/horse food etc, whenever I bring them in for whatever reason. After years of chasing around my guelding with a bucket I just figured if they KNOW when they see me in the field it going to mean something(if ever small,) to put between their gums it might save a load of hassle. ,,,rr

be positive

Visit site
Hand reared, she is probably fine physically and what you are seeing is attention seeking behaviour relating to how she was reared, make a fuss, get fed, later on make a fuss 'mum' comes to check you are ok reassures you with a pat, carrot or whatever and so on, it also explains why she is good to ride as that was probably done properly.

J&S

Visit site
Hand reared can often be a problem. They think they are human, not horse and are too demanding!

RichardRider

Visit site
Hand reared can often be a problem. They think they are human, not horse and are too demanding!

Hand reared, she is probably fine physically and what you are seeing is attention seeking behaviour relating to how she was reared, make a fuss, get fed, later on make a fuss 'mum' comes to check you are ok reassures you with a pat, carrot or whatever and so on, it also explains why she is good to ride as that was probably done properly.

Still waiting(and I've put off lunch.) Now I'm the one "pawing the ground" because I'm bloody STARVED, but know(Sod's Law,) she'll show up right when we sit down to eat and wife's making her famous home made pizza.....rr

RichardRider

Visit site
ALL OF THE ABOVE, lol....

Mare reacted much better today. Owner was lame herself, having broken a toe last week so all we did was saddle and lunge; too hot to do anything else and was happy with this step. She continued to tap away but got to where I could stop her with verbal command, then snapping my fingers been her nose. Time will tell but I did find out that she did have back problems(thus proper saddle fit important,) hadn't been properly worked for AGES, and was "different" with men...This I'll know more about in the weeks to come....Thanks again to everyone and will keep you all posted...rr

RichardRider

Visit site
Just as a side note, strengthen before riding if she's had time off. We seldom take the time, and the right action, to prepare the horse for being ridden, their bodies are not built to carry us. I see many saddle problems from this.

Good point. Owner's(she's 25,) parents paid for a month at local riding club, lol, but she's big(1,75) and VERY FORWARD naturally. Talking about the horse, of course, lol...rr

Leo Walker

Visit site
Bobbie would do this if she thought she was allowed. Its not. When I first got her I used to tie her up and go and sit round the corner in the car until she stopped. I could see her in case anything happened, but wasnt in her line of sight. Once she stopped I would reappear and make a fuss and do nice things with her. I had to sit in the car until she stopped as it used to really wind me up and it would escalate in a desperate attempt to get attention!

First time took nearly an hour of twirling and pawing and it it took 2 weeks to stop completely. She still goes back to it if shes worried or stressed, but never to the same degree. Ignoring her is the only way to get her to stop though.

Its not pain in her case. She was pretty spoilt and cossetted when I got her and as shes so nice natured she had always had lots of attention, and she thought if she pawed and twirled I would come running.

RichardRider

Visit site
Bobbie would do this if she thought she was allowed. Its not. When I first got her I used to tie her up and go and sit round the corner in the car until she stopped. I could see her in case anything happened, but wasnt in her line of sight. Once she stopped I would reappear and make a fuss and do nice things with her. I had to sit in the car until she stopped as it used to really wind me up and it would escalate in a desperate attempt to get attention!

First time took nearly an hour of twirling and pawing and it it took 2 weeks to stop completely. She still goes back to it if shes worried or stressed, but never to the same degree. Ignoring her is the only way to get her to stop though.

Its not pain in her case. She was pretty spoilt and cossetted when I got her and as shes so nice natured she had always had lots of attention, and she thought if she pawed and twirled I would come running.

Thanks Leo, Also have noticed, now that we've had her a full month, she NEVER STOPS. Ok, she'll stop to eat, next to my horse in the field but when approaching morning feed, waiting for mine to catch up, she'll just turn in circles. She must be a bit nervous. I also noticed, the one time her owner rode her, it was a moving hop into the saddle, instead of the mare standing still till her owner was seated...rr