Question regarding Showing turnout for Shire Horses

Ollys crew

New User
Visit site
Hello everyone... this is possibly a silly question coming up.... We have been to the National Shire Horse Show today at Stafford showground, we had a brilliant day watching some beautiful horses. We were intrigued to see that there seemed to be different ways the horses were presented, with regards to grooming. While some of the horses appeared to be groomed in order to present them as having a smooth coat, others appeared to be presented with their coats with the coat brushed backwards (if that makes sense). Also we noticed some of these horses had areas of their coat (along their back, or an area on their hindquarters) that was smooth. Is there a reason/ explanation for this? Just really interested :)

Ollys crew

New User
Visit site
We wondered about this, and yes one (at least) was clipped as you could see where the clip ended at the top of the legs.... however some of the 'fluffy coated' horses had areas of their back/ hindgquarters that were groomed flat ... baffled us :)

Ollys crew

New User
Visit site
Shire foals and youngstock are shown with fluffy often soaped coats, adults are shown gleaming
We did think this, as the first class we watched was 2 year old filles. However there were senior horses presented in the same way... this is what confused us more haha... we were trying to 'crack the code' all day :) I really wish we had taken photographs now...

abbijay

Visit site
Youngstock can be shown with "soaped up" coats. I didn't think you could do it with senior horses but my expertise is more about draughts north of the border. Then again there is an element of fashion to these things and certain big breeders can do as they please and still be placed. I would expect the riddens to be clipped but the inhand stock in winter woolies but well groomed through with flat coats.
The reason for it is to make the horse look bigger (same reason for the braid with flights in and the tail decoration).

abbijay

Visit site
It's a new Shire Horse Society thing that senior horses can be soaped up, but it only applies at this particular show. The guidelines sent out to exhibitors say that at all other affiliated shows only foals may be shown soaped up.
Well everyday is a school day. Did they give a reason for allowing it at the spring show only?

Ollys crew

New User
Visit site
Youngstock can be shown with "soaped up" coats. I didn't think you could do it with senior horses but my expertise is more about draughts north of the border. Then again there is an element of fashion to these things and certain big breeders can do as they please and still be placed. I would expect the riddens to be clipped but the inhand stock in winter woolies but well groomed through with flat coats.
The reason for it is to make the horse look bigger (same reason for the braid with flights in and the tail decoration).
This makes a lot of sense, thank you x

Ollys crew

New User
Visit site
It's a new Shire Horse Society thing that senior horses can be soaped up, but it only applies at this particular show. The guidelines sent out to exhibitors say that at all other affiliated shows only foals may be shown soaped up.
Ah how interesting... thank you!