Question: wolf tooth fragment removal- cost?

EquestrianFairy

Visit site
There is a remaining fragment of a wolf tooth left in a horse I had vetted that was picked up on. Vet said it wil need to be removed if it causes any problems however after googling I'm seeing costs of £1k plus for wolf teeth extraction.

Is this normal?! It will seriously affect the price if this is the case.

Thanks

be positive

Visit site
A wolf tooth has no root so a fragment should easily be removed under sedation and local anesthetic, the cost should not be that high.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
I am having my rising 4 yr old's wolf teeth removed next week - I am led to believe that it is a very straighforward procedure. My daughter's 20 yr old cob mare on a dentist visit around 2 years ago was found to have fragments of a wolf tooth left in her gum and he removed them and charged me no more than the normal visit fee.. They are only shallow in the gum and I guess quite fragile.

TheMule

Visit site
I can assure you wolf teeth do have roots!!
They are reasonably shallow compared to the other teeth though and should come out fine under local, as suggested above.

ihatework

Visit site
Providing no major disasters, £150 max. Mild sedation, a bit of local and some vet time.
Had one done earlier this year with no dramas.

cambrica

Visit site
Wolf teeth are generally small with roots but unlike normal teeth they float which make them more uncomfortable when knocked. Very easy to remove, my vet charged £70 for two wolf teeth to be removed under sedation. It took less than five minutes.

dianchi

Visit site
One thing to bear in mind..... I presume this was noted on the vetting, if you are insuring, they are likely to exclude this.

But yes, would say about £150 you will be looking at.

w1bbler

Visit site
My vet was sedating horse for another procedure & just took out a wolf tooth fragment for no extra charge - too minutes.

HaffiesRock

Visit site
My pony had a fragment removed last summer. Was already having the vet for jabs but she charged an additional £20 for sedation (no local required but she hung around in case it was needed)and dentist removed it for £10 more than his normal charge. So all in all £40 for the dentist for removal and all teeth done and £69 from vet for call out, vaccs and sedation.

Hope that helps

_GG_

Visit site
Um, my EDT removed wolf tooth and did full dental work including also removing two caps for his usual £40 fee.

He had to remove a wolf tooth fragment from a pony on the yard and that was again done as part of his £40 fee.

Neither require sedation or local, neither were bothered by the work being done.

£1k is ridiculous.

thinkitwasjune

Visit site
I had this done on a gelding I had a few years ago. We had travelled to the vet but he did what was essentially a full work-up and removed the wolf tooth fragment for just £70.

glenruby

Visit site
GG and the work your dentist has carried out is illegal as Horses MUST be sedated for removal of wolf teeth.
OP, the cost usually depends on the time taken - about £60-ish if quick and simple to maybe £100 if it's more tricky. Both exclusive of visit fee.

ihatework

Visit site
GG and the work your dentist has carried out is illegal as Horses MUST be sedated for removal of wolf teeth.
OP, the cost usually depends on the time taken - about £60-ish if quick and simple to maybe £100 if it's more tricky. Both exclusive of visit fee.

I'm glad you said that, I thought it was illegal but couldn't back that up with facts.