Questions re buying my first pony

Jinx94

Visit site
Hey all, got a few questions

First of all, I contacted a seller yesterday morning asking if their horse was still for sale, they haven't replied yet, should I contact them again or assume that someone must have already offered on the horse?

Second, I've found a lovely pony that has been out of work for two years and is being sold due to owners ill health, he's a 14.1hh Sec D, I'm 5'7" and 11 stone - is this too tall/too heavy??

And finally, 5 stage vetting?? What are your experiences with it, and can it cause problems with insurance?? (Any suggestions of insurance companies to use or avoid would be much appreciated!)

Thanks! x

Faithkat

Visit site
1. How did you contact the seller? If you sent them a text, then try ringing them. Some people won't reply to a text message

2. 14.1hh seems a bit small for a Section D and at 5ft 7 you might look a little "underhorsed"!!

3. Insurance companies usually only ask for a 5 stage vetting is you are insuring for £5000+

be positive

Visit site
A pony that has been out of work for 2 years may change once it comes back into work, you may not be able to try it fully so I would avoid as a first purchase as said above it is also rather small for you.

I would always recommend vetting, ideally 5 stage, it should not be an issue getting insurance with or without but can save a lot of heartache by making sure you start with a healthy horse, taking an experienced person to view will also help weed out some issues that may go unnoticed when you try them.

Jinx94

Visit site
Thanks for the responses!

Will probably try ringing - but now I've seen this second one, I'm not as sure about how interested I am in the first.

The first one is broken to ride and drive, however has been hardly ridden.

I'm confident that I can bring a horse/pony back into work if they have been previously schooled (am currently bringing two ex polo ponies back into work) but not 100% about schooling pretty much from scratch...

I know that I will get a five stage vetting anyway - from what I've been told, they aren't overly expensive and I'd much rather know about any problems than wing it and hope for the best. I already know who I'll be taking with me to any viewings - one very experienced friend, and my mother who doesn't have a clue - she may well spot something trivial that we would not think about otherwise.

Thanks again!!