questions to ask when buying a horsebox?(boring)

carmenlucy123

Visit site
well the last one got away but iv seen another wich has re-assured me i dont have to rush into buying anything?

went to have a nosey yesterday, is rather nice P-reg ford with cabbie on back and luton.(for weekends away)

all looks good so taking the man in charge to have a nose over. but realised i didnt really ask any questions!!??

what should i ask.... and a how much please.
cant post a pic as its not my box and feel it would be naughty but its brown p-reg, 2.5 diesel enjine ford transit with cab on the back. takes 2x16.2hh not brand new but not at all old or scruffy.

it was full of hay when i looked at it is it wrong for me to ask her to clear the hay out so i can really see?

She wants £3,750

carmenlucy123

Visit site
oh yeah got that one.... its a 3.5 tonn with nedds in
its taxed for 11 months
its mot i did ask but cant remember its got one though not due one yet
erm what else did i ask its rear load/unload which doesnt out me off i prefur that to side unload on these think it can be a bit "sticky" with the iforW type

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
No you need to know the weight without horses on board, so you can check you won't be over weight with horses, tack, water & riders etc...

exracemad

Visit site
I don't know much about lorries, but my friends 3.5 tonne struggles to carry her 2 big horses whereas ours is 5.5 tonne and takes the load easily. probably not much help but hey ho
smile.gif
lol

carmenlucy123

Visit site
yeah its unlaiden weight?
should i get a weight certificate? they'd have to take it to a weigh bridge....
love to drive something bigger but im in the stupid after 1997 band

ecrozier

Visit site
When was the floor/ramp put in? Has it been stored undercover? Mileage? It it a wooden box/alloy/fibreglass? Definately need to get the hay taken out to have a good look at the floor. Are there rubber mats down? Fixed or loose? What work have they had done...are there reciepts? Have a good look at all the tyres including the spare...
So much can be wrong with lorries, we found one we liked, were all set to buy, luckily decided to have it vetted by the professional guy that goes round doing them, he said it was condemmed!! And when we looked more closely at the things he pointed out (badly fitted windows so damp was all inside the walls, amongst other things) you could see them, just had to know what to look at. A friend of mine (she is on here too actually, hope she doesn't mind me using as an example!) bought one recently, was told it needed new glow plugs....yes, it did, but also new battery and alternator! Slightly pricier than just the glow plugs.
You can find good ones, but also v easy to get stung! Hope some of those questions help, all stuff we were told to ask/look for after that first nightmare box we wasted £200 having vetted.
grin.gif

Boolagh

Visit site
Unless you're taking someone quite knowledgeable about mechanics to check the box over I would recommend getting it professionally vetted. Yes, it will cost you around £200 but cheap in the long run.
You must check what the unladen weight is especially if you intend to carry two horses. Work out what two neddies plus tack, water, fuel, passengers etc will weigh and check that you will still be under 3.5ton with all that on board.
It's crucial that the hay is removed so that you can have a good look around and check the floor.
Ask why they are selling; how long they've had the vehicle; does it have a full service history?