Quick Insurance Question...Travel for Two Ponies

HeresHoping

Visit site
Hi

My mother is sending her two Dartmoor Heritage mares back to the Dartmoor Heritage Trust as she is unable to sell them and there is an agreement that they will take them back again.

However, in order to send them back, she must cover the transport costs. Fine. All the companies she has approached need her to have insurance for them. Fine. Bizarrely, however, the insurance companies she has approached have told her she cannot just insure them to travel and have her 3rd party cover for the transport. She has to have an annual policy in place. She has approached the usual (NFU, SEIB, Animal Friends and something else I forget which). One company has offered - at a total cost of £390! Does anyone have any suggestions? Please?

Ta muchly.

Polos Mum

Visit site
Join the BHS - gold membership gives you £20million third party liability for 12 months for any horses you handle/ own/ ride etc. it's £60 a year - excellent value.

be positive

Visit site
The last horse I sent on a professional transporter did not have any insurance in place as far as I know, the transporters did not ask for any and I would expect them to have 3rd party cover, does the trust insist on insurance in case of injury?

HeresHoping

Visit site
BHS Gold Membership...check. Have 'phoned them. They said no, not covered, does not include horses in transport!

It's not the Trust, it's the transport companies. They want my mother to sign a piece of paper to say that a) the ponies are insured in case of accident, and b) my mother will pay for any damage to the lorry should there be any. Surely, if the transporter is insured, his insurance would be invalidated by such a waiver of liability?

Last edited:

be positive

Visit site
Try Gillies, they transported mine uninsured, they certainly did not ask for any evidence and are used by racehorse trainers many racehorses are not individually insured as it is not viable although they may be covered by the trainers insurance.

HeresHoping

Visit site
find a different transporter :)

Yes. Well, that avenue has been pretty much exhausted, too. If anyone can recommend a transporter that will travel from Ipswich to Devon for less than silly money (Top quote of £1080, anyone?) and will do it in the next couple of weeks, please do make a recommendation.

My mother is in ill health and does not have a trailer to do this herself. I live some miles away and my Landy wouldn't make it to Devon even if I could borrow a trailer.

HeresHoping

Visit site
Thank you. Will try Gillies.

Actually, have just had a look at Gillies...Their Ts & Cs state: "Eric Gillie Ltd and it's employees will take all reasonable precautions; however, in
the event of an accident please note that you are personally liable for your horse in the event of injury or damage sustained to or by your horse. Any damage to the vehicle must be paid for and the owner will be liable to cover the cost of any repairs"

Ergo, I think insurance is needed. These ponies came up from Devon in a lorry but they haven't travelled any distance since - lived close enough to PC to hack when they had a jockey.

Last edited:

Lynette

www.horsetransport.org.uk
By law any transport company whether it be for livestock or dead goods has to hold a Goods in transit policy. Think of a House Removal Firm that didn't hold such a policy. Go with a Firm that will arrange this cover for you.

rowan666

Visit site
Ive never been asked if any of mine have been insured when in transit and I was always led to believe a profesional transporter had to legally have thier own insurance to cover any accidents?? Maybe im wrong tho but the companies ive used do state in adds tbat they are fully insured! Could you not loan tgem out or give them free to good vetted home? Try posting on project rescue on fb set up for similar situations

HeresHoping

Visit site
Ive never been asked if any of mine have been insured when in transit and I was always led to believe a profesional transporter had to legally have thier own insurance to cover any accidents?? Maybe im wrong tho but the companies ive used do state in adds tbat they are fully insured! Could you not loan tgem out or give them free to good vetted home? Try posting on project rescue on fb set up for similar situations

Re the above. Unfortunately, there is considerably more to think about than the little that I have posted in this thread. The Dartmoor Heritage Trust will take them back and sell them on to vetted homes. It's part of the agreement of purchase. The only obstacle currently is the transport. I will examine the Goods in Transit policy (I work for a law firm so will consult with one of our Supply Chain lawyers, which is what I should have done in the first place) and try and find a solution.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.