Quick jumping lesson report

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
As promised another lesson report. This time it was a jumping session with Caroline Creighton.

I have actually cut the video down quite significantly as what we did was quite repetitive. The main objectives for the session was to improve the rhythm of the canter so it was flowing more forward and to encourage her to do some flying changes.

Caroline did say at the end of the session that she recognised I had some issues with my position but that would be solved better by a physio / chiropractor straightening me out again than her correcting something that is difficult to correct due to the way I am. However she was very keen I softened through the arms and particularly the elbows to allow her to flow freely forward.

After warming up we jumped a course which by the end was a decent height. We used a pole placed after the fence to encourage her to change if she was on the wrong leg. Perhaps for a lesson report this contained minor tweaks rather than radical exercises and a overhaul of what we were doing. However those of you that follow Pip's progress can hopefully see the improvement in her way of going particularly the way she shortens herself through the treble which was pretty short.

[youtube]MQSARFUECUY[/youtube]

Next stop for us is Tweseldown Intermediate on Monday.

Horsemad12

Visit site
Wow so much softer and more forward than the last video lesson I watched which was one on grass.

Good luck for Monday.

Lyle

Visit site
That looked much more rhythmical than the videos I watched of your lesson report on the grass! She looks very comfortable with the height.

Good luck for Monday :D

frannieuk

Visit site
Hello, just wondered if you would be prepared to give some info on your position issues? I have problems with my pelvis and spine which are being resolved (very) slowly with lots of physio but will never be quite right, and am wondering if I can learn anything from your experiences - yours may be completely different of course!

Do PM if you prefer!

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
Hello, just wondered if you would be prepared to give some info on your position issues? I have problems with my pelvis and spine which are being resolved (very) slowly with lots of physio but will never be quite right, and am wondering if I can learn anything from your experiences - yours may be completely different of course!

Do PM if you prefer!

I have a number of issues that have been hugely helped by a physio and chiropractor but have to accept will never be resolved. I have to be as good as possible but I also have to accept that I will never be right and my horses have to learn to cope with it.

Firstly I have a pinned and plated ankle which means my left ankle does not bend the same, this means on that side I often ride with the stirrup a hole or two longer. My other problem on the same side is my hip. This can cause me pain which I may subconsciously protect but again the mobility is not quite the same meaning when I fold over a fence I often slightly twist with my hips going one way and my shoulders the other. There is an element here if I focus I can improve it.

You can see it slightly in this video as I come towards and leave the fence http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95-kM9O8-bM

The above I too a certain or lesser extent I cope with and accept but what I find most difficult and what physio / chiro / exercises help me keep on top of is the subsequent stiffening in my neck and back. There is nothing originally injured here but a knock on from the others meaning that some days even to sit in the saddle and be soft in the eat is impossible I feel like an unbalanced plank of wood wobbling up and down. That is why I struggle so much at intermediate as I have to do sitting trot, I also wonder if some of the jumping issues is not helped by me not being able to softly sit in the saddle on an approach to the jump :(

Hope that makes sense typing on the train and sun so bright can't see what I am writing!

frannieuk

Visit site
Thank you for taking the time to explain that - you certainly hide that lot well when you ride! My issues are also with limited mobility and stiffness, mainly in pelvis and spine (genetic) which makes sitting trot v. difficult, and means I find it very hard if my horse is at all set through the back as I can't move enough to keep up! My default is into a 2 point position, but I'm working really hard with an excellent physio to overcome as much as possible. My problems weren't picked up until I had a shoulder op this year and the consultant noted that most of my issues were as a result of lack of spinal/pelvic mobility.
You've given me hope, and Pip is looking great - her rhythm seems to be really solid in that lesson.

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
Thank you for taking the time to explain that - you certainly hide that lot well when you ride! My issues are also with limited mobility and stiffness, mainly in pelvis and spine (genetic) which makes sitting trot v. difficult, and means I find it very hard if my horse is at all set through the back as I can't move enough to keep up! My default is into a 2 point position, but I'm working really hard with an excellent physio to overcome as much as possible. My problems weren't picked up until I had a shoulder op this year and the consultant noted that most of my issues were as a result of lack of spinal/pelvic mobility.
You've given me hope, and Pip is looking great - her rhythm seems to be really solid in that lesson.

Pip is looking great and whilst I work hard she has also adapted to my issues and horses do :) Good luck with the physio.