Quick Q - letting a neighbour use your arena for free

ArcticFox

www.bryland.co.uk
Hi all

as title, if I let my neighbour use my arena for free, do I need insurance? I have said that its at her risk - should I get her to sign a waiver?. I've let her ride in it this summer, but recently a friend asked if they could also ride in it and I made the excuse that we would need insurance which they pointed out that we wouldn't as I wouldn't be charging for its use. I was surprised by this and thought i'd check.

The friend has a youngster and was going to book a couple of lessons with my instructor who has her own teaching insurance.

just looking for advice really, ideally I'd like to allow my direct neighbour to use it, and I'm happy to put others off, but I thought I'd ask you for advice!

Thanks in advance.

popsdosh

Visit site
You should have insurance to cover anybody using it paying or not although you would most likely be covered by your household policy for third party liability.However bizarrely this would most likely only cover you if there was no financial reward.
Waivers etc are rarely worth the paper there written on when the chips are down.

Last edited:

_GG_

Visit site
Not paying, can go on household insurance.
Paying, you need insurance.
But...if someone is using it and not paying you for the use, but paying an instructor to give them a lesson in your arena...you may want to check! As soon as a professional service is given in that arena, it becomes a place of work or trade if you like. I have no ideas the legality of it but I do know, where I am at livery, the school is insured for us to use and others to hire, but additional insurance was needed to allow freelance instructors to use the school for teaching. So, I would just check it out or hopefully someone on here will know the answer for you.

ArcticFox

www.bryland.co.uk
Thanks GG

would I need to inform our household insurance? I don't let my neighbour have lessons in the arena (this is actually due to my hubby not liking my neighbours chosen instructor!) so actually for my friend using it, as she would be having an instructor then this probably wouldn't be allowed - thats ok as that will please hubby!

_GG_

Visit site
Thanks GG

would I need to inform our household insurance? I don't let my neighbour have lessons in the arena (this is actually due to my hubby not liking my neighbours chosen instructor!) so actually for my friend using it, as she would be having an instructor then this probably wouldn't be allowed - thats ok as that will please hubby!

I would check with them as better safe than sorry. Everything is fine until something goes wrong and then the people we know can suddenly become very different. I've hear all sorts over the years. A woman using someones yard for the farriers as she had no hard standing. Horse got hurt pulling away from the wall (took a brick with it and brick hit horses head). Horse just not good being left but the owner tried to sue the YO saying that the yard had not been made safe as there was a plastic bag waving about in a hedge!!! Yep, she actually said that and tried to sue on the back of it and was very very nearly successful.

It's a sad sign of the times, but I just won't trust in people doing the right and decent thing anymore. I'd rather make sure I am covered and not have the worry :)

AnShanDan

Visit site
I'd never thought about this :eek: I quite often let friends and frequently, the Pony Club, use my arena and I've never charged anyone! Wondering where I stand now!!

I suppose I assumed, that it is just another (very small, not grassy) paddock, the Pony Club use our fields all the time for rallies and practices etc. After all, people can ride up our farm road if they choose too, so they must be at their own risk then?

Let us know what you find out AF, please :)

Just remembered, of course, the Pony Club members are all covered by the PC insurance :)

Last edited:

DW Team

Visit site
Something else you might need to think on is even though you are not charging Council Might see it as a business. You know how bureaucrats can be. Especially if there is money changing hands for other instructor and not your selves. Good luck

AdorableAlice

Visit site
This has really made me think. What are people's thoughts on my situation please.

My lovely neighbour welcomes me into her school as when I want free of charge. We have never discussed insurance and I do not have lessons. My horses are fully insured and I hold BHS Gold Membership. I would make good any damage my horses cause without question. I use the school for flat work only and starting my young horses.

_GG_

Visit site
This has really made me think. What are people's thoughts on my situation please.

My lovely neighbour welcomes me into her school as when I want free of charge. We have never discussed insurance and I do not have lessons. My horses are fully insured and I hold BHS Gold Membership. I would make good any damage my horses cause without question. I use the school for flat work only and starting my young horses.

No money changing hands and no professional service taking place. Straightforward in my mind. Up to you to have your horses insured, up to her to have her property insured. No need for anything additional IMO.

Oliver12

Visit site
I used to use a neighbour's arena. She probably knew about the insurance situation as she asked for no payment but a bag of horsefeed occasionally. Would this be payment in kind though?

Mickyjoe

Visit site
I would check things very, very carefully as horse-riding is acknowledged as a dangerous sport, so something like household insurance or public liability might not cut it.

Jnhuk

Visit site
Can't remember if you are a BHS gold member or not, if yes, maybe a call to their legal helpline would answer your questions? Does the BE membership run a similar helpline?

If it is for who I think, I don't think you would have any issue with them but I think you do need to make sure any instructor is fully insured etc.... and that any friend using the school is covered by their own insurance

popsdosh

Visit site
Can't remember if you are a BHS gold member or not, if yes, maybe a call to their legal helpline would answer your questions? Does the BE membership run a similar helpline?

If it is for who I think, I don't think you would have any issue with them but I think you do need to make sure any instructor is fully insured etc.... and that any friend using the school is covered by their own insurance
Having their own insurance is not good enough !!! If they have an accident that was in any way down to the op for example arena maintenance their insurance company will soon come after you and sue you.Afraid it is the world we live in

Jnhuk

Visit site
Having their own insurance is not good enough !!! If they have an accident that was in any way down to the op for example arena maintenance their insurance company will soon come after you and sue you.Afraid it is the world we live in

I can understand what you are saying Popsdosh. If most situations I would agree with you but I know the OP. At the end of the day, it is a matter of trust or not versus risk of being sued and cost of insuring against such thing.

I know that you never can fully trust people but knowing folks for a long time you tend to get a feeling for them and what they would do so hence my comments above.

AF has to weigh up the risk involved against the cost and what is means to her if she says no to the friend involved.

Capriole

Visit site
You can't rely on having known and trusted people for a long time I'm afraid. Theoretically, if something happens and the friend has to claim off their own insurance, their insurance company will go after the OP. They have no such scruples.

AnShanDan

Visit site
Has anyone actually heard of this happening? Surely, if a person tripped on the uneven steps of your house and broke their leg and was off work for months, they could similarly sue you?

ArcticFox

www.bryland.co.uk
thanks everyone, have got some insurance quotes today for public liability, spoke to a couple of insurance people and they were very helpful and suggested a yard insurance for anyone who I let use the arena for free so by the end of the week I should be ok.

However I am wary about letting too many people use it, after all, I cannot afford to replace my arena should anything happen to it, and would be gutted if something did, so as my hubby is happy to be the bad guy I'll probably continue to say i don't have insurance ;)