Quick question: dressage turnout!!!

khalswitz

Visit site
Am nipping off to a very low key unaff dressage comp tonight. Usually wear my full getup for unaff (tweed, shirt, stock, cream breeches black peaked hat and white saddle cloth and plaits), but was told when putting my entry that 'it's very casual - don't bother plaiting and feel free to dress down'.

So what should Geoff and I wear??? Don't want to be the muppet who is dressed up, but equally don't want to look like I've made no effort...

ihatework

Visit site
I'd personally plan to wear comp kit minus jacket, but maybe go with a dark plain polo and replce the white shirt with that if everyone has really dressed down!

montanna

Visit site
I'd personally plan to wear comp kit minus jacket, but maybe go with a dark plain polo and replce the white shirt with that if everyone has really dressed down!

This. I would take all your comp kit with you in the lorry but dress smart casual like you are going to a clinic? So polo shirt and breeches as above.

khalswitz

Visit site
Have you a plain polo shirt and/or jumper? Wear that with the white saddlecloth and go for neat :)

Good ideas, will go white saddle cloth and cream Breeches with my comp shirt (which is an American collar so can be worn without a stock) and a plain vneck jumper for on top, slightly dressed down but still smart.

This is what happens when a showjumping yard starts running dressage... How can you be a proper dressage diva when you're to dress down?! ;)

khalswitz

Visit site
Crash test dummy to dressage diva is probably more accurate. Anyway, wont be a real diva until I have to do sitting trot.

Hmm, debatable. Especially now you can even rise at Medium... Very sure diva-dom comes before that :p. Probably comes the first time you remind someone in the warmup ring that they should give way to lateral work.. ;)

PaddyMonty

Visit site
Probably comes the first time you remind someone in the warmup ring that they should give way to lateral work.. ;)
or when they correct that myth. There is nothing in the rule book that gives lateral work priority.

77. Riding in collecting ring or practice areas/arenas
Riders are to behave with consideration to their fellow competitors whilst working in:

a) Pass left hand to left hand when meeting another rider coming in the opposite direction unless they are in counter canter, when you should give way by circling.

b) Make tack adjustments outside the arena if possible, or near the middle of the arena, but without obstructing the diagonal or centre lines.

c) To avoid accidents, announce that you intend to enter an indoor practice area.

d) Ensure your whip is not so long or used so that it could upset a passing horse.

e) Do not halt or walk on the outside track and always leave room for other riders to pass.

f) Do not lunge without the permission of the Organiser and only if there is sufficient room so as not to cause inconvenience to other riders.

g) Trainers or other pedestrians are not to stand in the collecting rings or practice areas/arenas and must minimise disruption to other riders when helping their client.

h) Riders with impaired vision should wear a white armband whilst warming up as an indication to other riders.

i) If a warmup arena is becoming overcrowded, the Organiser or steward/marshal may ask competitors not competing that day to leave. An organiser/steward may impose a limit on the number of horses allowed in the warmup arena, giving priority to those closest to performing their test.

Last edited:

khalswitz

Visit site
or when they correct that myth. There is nothing in the rule book that gives lateral work priority.

77. Riding in collecting ring or practice areas/arenas
Riders are to behave with consideration to their fellow competitors whilst working in:

a) Pass left hand to left hand when meeting another rider coming in the opposite direction unless they are in counter canter, when you should give way by circling.

b) Make tack adjustments outside the arena if possible, or near the middle of the arena, but without obstructing the diagonal or centre lines.

c) To avoid accidents, announce that you intend to enter an indoor practice area.

d) Ensure your whip is not so long or used so that it could upset a passing horse.

e) Do not halt or walk on the outside track and always leave room for other riders to pass.

f) Do not lunge without the permission of the Organiser and only if there is sufficient room so as not to cause inconvenience to other riders.

g) Trainers or other pedestrians are not to stand in the collecting rings or practice areas/arenas and must minimise disruption to other riders when helping their client.

h) Riders with impaired vision should wear a white armband whilst warming up as an indication to other riders.

i) If a warmup arena is becoming overcrowded, the Organiser or steward/marshal may ask competitors not competing that day to leave. An organiser/steward may impose a limit on the number of horses allowed in the warmup arena, giving priority to those closest to performing their test.

Yes, but there's nothing in there about circles giving way to riders on the track either and that's definitely a THING (no alternative word to rule comes to mind). I have heard stewards at BD pull people up on both!!

Anyway, check you and your rule book quotations, you diva you ;)

khalswitz

Visit site
What should horses with impaired vision wear?! Mine only has the use of 1 eye, just a quick musing....

I think as long as the rider can see then it's not a problem - you're guiding it after all. Whereas a rider unable to see needs steered around.

I was trying to think up a witty joke about white boots or bandages but I'm just not on the ball enough today...