Quick Question for Eventers

monkeybum13

Visit site
Hello all.
Please could you tell me what level you compete at and what your fittening regime is i.e how many weeks/months before your first event do you start your fittening and what do you do, how intense etc?

Thanks very much!
grin.gif

Eventerlad15

Visit site
Shannah is at Novice; moving up to Int/1* in the spring.

He had 8 weeks off after Weston 1*, and the first week I did 30 min walking, moving up to 45 min and by the end of week 2 he was on an hour. Week 3(this week)started trotting and by the end of the week we will have a play in the school(would wait a bit longer but skiing then school so want to go before I leave).

Then flatwork probs for a few weeks; dressage competitions hopefully by the end of Jan, he will then start jumping and do some showjumping in Feb, XC school + couple of canters/gallops in March then probably start with either Oasby or Lincolnshire novice.

brushingboots

Visit site
Barrys Intro/PN hopefully moving up to PNP/N this season [we will see
wink.gif
]

Mine had 5/6 weeks off and he started off by walking out 3 times a week
which turned to 4 times a week in the next week and adding trot then went to normal flat as i felt his tendonds had hardened enough
but then the snow came so was on the horse walker twice a day for about a week and a half
seems pretty fit atm

now i'd usually start hillwork lightly in a walk trot
then in late Jan start cantering the hills
and doing a gallop every 2 weeks
by this time he'd be going out every 2 weekends and the other 2 would be lessons
then by the time march came i'd not want a summer fit horse but a eventing fit horse
[a summer fit horse for me is a horse that can cope with PC Camp whereas an eventing fit horse can cope with an event and then a week or 2 week break until the next event] and then i'd keep doing at least/hopefully once a week fittening stuff whether it be a gallop or a hack at trot...depends on weekend plans
smile.gif
x