Quick Ties - your experience?

sassyequine

Visit site
Has anyone got experience of using the new quickties, if you've not seen them they are rubber with clips and designed to release more quickly than bailing twine in the event of a horse panicking. We have recently bought some for our lorry and I would be interested to hear of any experiences of them, Im keen to know that they will snap as they say they will?

My partner is a vet and has just operated on a horse who broke his neck because he was tied to a piece of new baler twine that didnt snap when he panicked, please make sure your baler twine is thinned out.

silverstar

Visit site
Never used them but have used the plastic ties you can get from car accessory shops. Much cheaper plus they break when pressure is exerted on them.

bailey14

Visit site
I use a quick release metal tie thingy for the end of my horses lead rope. It attaches to the ring on the headcollar and then you attach the rope to it. In the event that the horse pulls back you just grasp it between thumb and forefinger and pull it back and it instantly releases, whereas a normal lead rope attached to headcollar you need to push it one way first to get the looped end off the ring which is impossible when your horse is panicking. I had a lucky escape with one of my horses once. He was tied to bailing twine outside his stable happily munching away on his hay net. This silly girl used to let her pony wander loose around the yard, and that night she let it go. He walked behind my horse. My friend shouted at the pony to get away in case my horse kicked it (which he wouldn't have anyway), but poor old Billy who was very sensitive and kind thought he was being shouted at instead of the pony. He panicked, pulled and the twine didn't snap. Eventually it did snap and he went over backwards, slid down the slope and crashed through the fence with his head. Luckily apart from being a bit dazed he was okay but we had to put him in a stable, shut the top door and call the emergency vet out. All this happened whilst I was filling my water buckets up across the yard and I'd took my eyes off him for one minute.

Inchy

Visit site
I think the idea behind them is good, but they snap a little to easily. Our welsh cob waits till everyone is out of sight and then leans on it to test it - anything he feels has a bit of give he snaps and then b*&*ers off to find something else to destroy.

So if you've got a horse that normally stands sensibly and only pulls back for a reason i'm sure they'd be great.

loobylu

Visit site
We did use them on the box after a nasty incident with baler twine and fingers. However, after I came back from xc to meet another of ours trotting towards me, ropes trailing, I chucked them. (And wondered where their 'looker-after' had gone....