Quitkick - opinions?

Visit site
Hi,

I have a pony that is very attention orientated. He wants to be fed first, turned out first, and treats or pats off anybody who dares to walk by his stable door. If he gets none of the above then he kicks his stable door. We are on a large yard with approx 30 horses, so there is always someone about so he is always kicking.

I am interested in the Quitkick door kicker system, however, he has been known to windsuck in the past and my concern is that by taking away the door kicking, he will channel his attention/frustration in to windsucking.

What are people's opinions? Is this a valid concern or am I overthinking it?

Thanks in advance

splash30

Visit site
Love my quitkick, worked quickly and now only has it on occasionally when he forgets himself ?
Should have also included; I got it as he would think its breakfast time at any point he thought necessary from 3am onwards. The yard owner wasnt on the same thought process ?

sportsmansB

Visit site
Mine kicks the door so I removed it and have either a stall guard or a chain
Works far better, nothing to kick (and in your case nothing to windsuck on either!)
Mine is so institutionalised that he has his 24/7 and even if its not up he doesn't leave his stable, but you can of course close the door over last thing and open first thing if you were worried about escaping..

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Someone at my livery used a bucket of water/hose a few times over the period of about an hour which all but solved the problem.. Save yourself £290!

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
There have been other threads about this problem.
I put 2 tub trugs part filled with water inside the stable door.
The pony was a new arrival and unsettled. One soaking and he has not kicked since. I still put them there occasionally as a reminder.
He still paws if ignored when tied but this is improving with time.

doodle

Visit site
Robins buddy has his water buckets put in front of his door. Tada no kicking! (Unless you forget the buckets and he notices instantly ?)

soloequestrian

Visit site
Probably difficult on a large yard unless you can train everyone but... make it about reward rather than punishment. Make sure he only gets what he wants once he has stopped kicking the door e.g. if it's attention - wait out of range and as soon as he stops, got to him and pet him. Same with everything - he should learn that the thing that gets him the reward is not kicking.

VRIN

Visit site
I tried everything with mine. Bought a quit kick - stopped instantly!! Couldn't believe how effective it was. Don't use it now as it completely stopped the behaviour.

Natasha381

New User
Visit site
I tried everything with mine. Bought a quit kick - stopped instantly!! Couldn't believe how effective it was. Don't use it now as it completely stopped the behaviour.
Hi, are you selling this? I'm in desperate need for one? Or would you consider hiring it out?