Quitkick

maybs124

Visit site
Has anyone used a quitkick? Was it worth the price
My mare kicks the stable wall when anyone else on the yard is being fed even if she has already eaten! Really keen to stop this for her and my sake!

splash30

Visit site
I have one for the door, and it's had amazing results, it's now off the majority of the time, only goes on when he forgets himself or he accidentally turns it on with throwing his head collar around 🤣

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
I have a water pistol and a lot of patience.

Its important to understand why they kick; what are they trying to tell you. If you are content you've ruled out a genuine issue, it took me less than an hour to teach him.

It won't work if your horse has no common sense. You can buy a back plate and hire a quit kick if you have an intelligent horse who learns quickly. You can then buy a decoy box.

Shay

Visit site
I've used then on doors - but they only work if the horse kicks the door. All it did for us was teach him to kick the door standing far enough back not to get squirted, or to kick the wall beside the door instead. A water pistol and patience works better - but you have to have the time and be consistent.

Alternatively - pad the walls with carpet. Saves the walls and the hooves.

fburton

Visit site
... but you have to have the time and be consistent.
This is a key point that's worth repeating.

In some ways, I would favour a rather indelicate technological solution like QuitKick that had infinite patience and impeccable consistency over someone who was irresolute and inconsistent - hence I am intensely relaxed about electric fencing, but wary of electric shock collars that are operated by humans.

A lot of kicking is done for attention and can be stopped by completely withholding attention (no shouting, nothing) until it stops. Unfortunately knowing this is no help if the solution isn't applied consistently. Doing so semi-consistently can be worse than not at all, because the horse has to work harder to get attention and ends up kicking more.

Hatts24

Visit site
Yes been amazing for me. Stopped my boy kicking the first night and he's never done it since. Also found he is much more respectful around the door and not so pushy and downright rude!