Rabbit woes

ChiffChaff

Visit site
Evening,

I was hoping for some advice. My sister and I have recently adopted two bunnies. They are Netherland Dwarves and from the same litter. When we adopted them the owner told us she thought they were both girls (they were 8 weeks at the time). When we took them to the vets for their jabs etc we were told they were both boys, and to bring them back if they started fighting to be neutered, which we did.

We have not owned rabbits before, but have spoken to the vet about re-bonding after castration, and read extensively. It has now been 7 weeks since castration we have been attempting to re-bond them. Currently they are in our living room separated by a puppy pen which they can sniff and groom each other through. They are happy to flop next to each other and eat next to each other etc. They have been in this set up since castration. They are never caged.

This week we have been putting them in a neutral area for about 10 minutes at a time to see how they go. It hasn’t been going very well at all. We have stopped any fights immediately, but they have continued to fight through the puppy gate when back in the living room after we have ended the session. Unfortunately, last night one broke through the fence and they fought while we we in bed (fur everywhere!) although luckily neither seem injured. We have been doing more reading and have read lots about two boys being incompatible. As I speak they are acting in a way I thought was good - one (Clover - who we presumed would be dominant!) is grooming the other (daffodil) through the bars. However, when actually put together, clover, the groomer, (which signals submission) is often the aggressor who demands daffodil submits. Daffodil, who is right now being happily groomed, tends to huddle and not interact with clover until he demands daffodil groom him. At which point daffodil attacks.

Is it worth persevering? Or does one of them need to be rehomed and we adopt a female? We’d be reluctant to do that, but can’t carry on like this!!

Thank you

Leo Walker

Visit site
I think you might be better asking on the rabbit forum. Theres lots of people on here who have had rabbits but it sounds like you need someone really experienced in bonding to help you. I know some charities will do the bonding for you for a small fee, and you might get some recommendations for that as well. Good luck, it must be really stressful!

ChiffChaff

Visit site
I think you might be better asking on the rabbit forum. Theres lots of people on here who have had rabbits but it sounds like you need someone really experienced in bonding to help you. I know some charities will do the bonding for you for a small fee, and you might get some recommendations for that as well. Good luck, it must be really stressful!
Thank you xx

Nudibranch

Visit site
Sadly a timely post...don't want to put a downer on your rabbit bonding but this morning I had to have one pts after it went horribly wrong. Did everything by the book - side by side runs, swapped litter trays over regularly, etc. First meeting on neutral territory but original bunny was a bit huffy so separated them and carried on with the plan. Second meeting, again on neutral territory and original bunny launched herself at the new one, who screamed. I separated them immediately but too late. She had degloved 6 inches of skin from the poor little mite, presumably with her claws. The vet said bonding rabbits is a nightmare and their skin is so thin it just rips apart. I kept and bred dwarf lops for 10 years and never saw anything like this. Horrible. I now feel like the world's worst rabbit owner and the original doe will have to continue to live on her own I'm afraid. I'll never risk another bunny.
Definitely get some help 😥 but good luck and I hope yours do better.

Mule

Visit site
Sadly a timely post...don't want to put a downer on your rabbit bonding but this morning I had to have one pts after it went horribly wrong. Did everything by the book - side by side runs, swapped litter trays over regularly, etc. First meeting on neutral territory but original bunny was a bit huffy so separated them and carried on with the plan. Second meeting, again on neutral territory and original bunny launched herself at the new one, who screamed. I separated them immediately but too late. She had degloved 6 inches of skin from the poor little mite, presumably with her claws. The vet said bonding rabbits is a nightmare and their skin is so thin it just rips apart. I kept and bred dwarf lops for 10 years and never saw anything like this. Horrible. I now feel like the world's worst rabbit owner and the original doe will have to continue to live on her own I'm afraid. I'll never risk another bunny.
Definitely get some help 😥 but good luck and I hope yours do better.
😞

ChiffChaff

Visit site
Oh my god Nudibranch, I’m so sorry, that’s absolutely horrifying. I’m starting to get more and more apprehensive about this. I did post on a rabbit forum and got such conflicting advice...it’s so hard to know what to do, but I think a male/female pair might be the best option 😔