Racehorse rehoming charities - recommendations please

Hetsmum

Visit site
A lovely lady at my yard has had an ex-racehorse for 2 years. Short story it is not working out and she feels he would be better in a different home. Lovely boy would make a super happy hacker - alone or in company, but who does NOT like lots of turnout - it seems to stress him. She is heartbroken to have to part with him but it does seem like the best solution for the pair of them.......trust me there is a long story here.....too long for this but absolutely no fault of the horse, just circumstances.

So the point is..........does anyone have any recommendations for a re-homing centre that would take him? Preferably in the south. I think with her personally circumstances being what they are it is going to be too hard to try to sell/loan him privately. Many thanks :)

Lolita

Visit site
Greatwood charity is located in Wiltshire and they take in ex racers. As does the thoroughbred rehabilitation centre but I think they are in the North east.

dark_prince

Visit site
The thoroughbred rehabilitation centre in the north west is a fantastic charity that works to retrain and rehome ex race horses. If you google then they have a website that gives plenty of info!

Dizzle

Visit site
Greatwood. I was in a situation a couple of years ago, personal circumstances meant I had a lot more outgoings than before I couldn't afford to keep a horse I had lost all confidence in.

Greatwood came to meet him and realised in the right hands he was a straight forward horse and agreed to take him.

It wasn't easy to get him rehomed, a lot of charities ignored us or declined us flat out, but I couldn't warrant selling him as a cheap TB, he deserved better than that.

Hetsmum

Visit site
Thanks for all the advise guys. I really appreciate the input. I had a few options from google but it is always nice to get some personal insight. It is going to be heartbreaking for her but something that she now realises has to happen. Dizzle.....similar to you she only wants what is best for the horse as she loves him to pieces.