Racehorses and ordinary horses, the difference

Enfys

Visit site
Quote from a recent thread:

"People who ride ordinary horses don't really know how to ride TB racehorses"

Which is actually quite true, because it IS different, not everybody wants to, or has had the opportunity to :)

So, what makes racehorses different to ride?

How DO you ride a racehorse?

Who has, or does, ride racehorses?

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Well, that was my quote, lol.
The racehorse has to win a race, or at least make the effort, he needs to walk out on a loose rein, trot for fitness, canter for fitness, etc etc.
It matters not how it is achieved, but that is the goal.
The rider has to keep him happy, keep him sound, keep him going forward.

Last edited:

wingedhorse

Visit site
Quote from a recent thread:

"People who ride ordinary horses don't really know how to ride TB racehorses"

Which is actually quite true, because it IS different, not everybody wants to, or has had the opportunity to :)

So, what makes racehorses different to ride?

How DO you ride a racehorse?

Who has, or does, ride racehorses?

I bought a 4 year old flat ex-racehorse as my second horse in 2001. He was 4 weeks off the track then I bought him. I was a DIY livery at an eventing yard that did some producing and some buying and selling. I hacked some of their easier horses in my spare time. I enjoyed hacking this one, including fast work in company, and solo hacking. He still looked like a race horse in training when I bought him, and had little muscle, hence they couldn’t really crack on with producing and selling him, hence . I had a lot of fun with him – some jumping, some sponsored rides, lots of long fast hacks. He was good to hack / load / jump / traffic / clip / handle. We did riding club stuff / camp etc. He was never complicated, but I never really got him going on the flat. Looking back I had poor posture, and didn’t have the experience to train him on the flat. He took a while to get him established with group turnout, and took about a year to get him to hold weight and build more muscle. Knowing more now, I’d have treated for ulcers, and turned away for a bit, as he took a long time to fill out. However he was magical for fast hacks along the downs and ridgeway, and we had a lot of fun.

I think there are all types of ex-racehorses and some are fine for relatively inexperienced owners, as long as you know what you are buying.

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
hmmmm.

i call BS.

i competed one up to inter 1 and yet somehow manage to magically also ride natives, cobs, warmbloods, irish types and every cross and mix you can think of.

TB's arent for everyone but it doesnt take someone special to ride them, just someone who wants to ride them.............i teach a huge variety of people of all different backgrounds and abilities and a fair few have ex racers and they are all just good solid riders who also ride ordinary horses.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
I think there are all types of ex-racehorses and some are fine for relatively inexperienced owners, as long as you know what you are buying.

yes but the point is that an inexperienced person does not know what they are buying surely?

I am not a good rider, and could only ride about half the racehorses in the yard, but I was a lot better than the average rider who is a leisure rider who has been thru the RS system. I started age 8, and was breaking ponies for cash when I was 12. I might have been a good rider if I had had lessons, but I didn't and most of my school friends were better riders than me, yet I was the only one who ever rode in a race, trained horses, or worked in racing.
People are not aware that horse riding is hazardous, because RS horses are failsafe.

Last edited:

Tapir

Visit site
I went from only ever having ridden normal horses to riding race horses at a very small NH yard. Now I know NH is different than flat but honestly, those horses were no different than any other I'd ridden, except that they were absolutely bombproof. I used to get sent out on my own on them sometimes for hours during the first stages of their fittening work with no problems whatsoever and I'm definitely not the bravest rider. They were all schooled in an indoor in just the same way as I'd schooled my own horse. I would have taken any one of them home quite happily to be a happy hacker/low level RC horse.

wingedhorse

Visit site
yes but the point is that an inexperienced person does not know what they are buying surely?

I am not a good rider, and could only ride about half the racehorses in the yard, but I was a lot better than the average rider who is a leisure rider who has been thru the RS system. I started age 8, and was breaking ponies for cash when I was 12. I might have been a good rider if I had had lessons, but I didn't and most of my school friends were better riders than me, yet I was the only one who ever rode in a race, trained horses, or worked in racing.
People are not aware that horse riding is hazardous, because RS horses are failsafe.

Not sure about the RS link. Dont think anyone would assume first horse bought when coming from riding school would be an ex-racehorse. I worked as a teenager at a dealing yard that ran a riding school. I rode the horses fresh from the sales, and the ones that caused customers problems. Was an experience, I think you bounce and think nothing of it when young.

I was a relatively novice rider when I bought the TB. Had ridden a long time, including in dealing yard. Looking back (photos are terrible!), I had no core, no stability, and pitched forward as a rider! But the horse was suitable and safe for me at the time. Racehorses aren’t all not novice rides. Some can be fine for some relatively novice riders. I was able to test the safety of the horse out in a range of situations before buying.

My current 16hh, 13 year old Dutchwarmblood (show jumping lines) would possibly not be safe in a busy sponsored ride environment. My 4 year old recently off the track TB was.

There is no one size fits all. You get lazy race horses – I know lazy, bomb proof TBs, and sharp hot ones.

And a fit race horse, in training, fed race horse diet, is not the same as a let down racehorse, not at full fitness, fed a forage diet, and turned out.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I have a failed racehorse he was so naughty he never made it to a race course .
I train him like any horse but he is defiantly a TB he has TB mind that slight arrogance they have and they learn by learning what you want then doing it ( if they choose ) there's a subtle difference between TB's and warmbloods and ISH's and although J's very well conformed in sport horse terms he's built to gallop .
Nothing beats galloping a good TB it's just the most amazing feeling .
They are taught in training to take the rein down onto the contact when doing fast work and that's often a hard thing to retrain at first as it's not want you want in a sport horse also when exciting work stops they are off the contact so often the more rein you take the more excited they get and when you drop the rein they calm that's very hard for some riders to grasp .
I can stop J in gallop by a quick squeeze of the leg and giving the rein and sitting up
A horse in training does feel very different to a riding/sport horse perhaps that was what the poster was referring too.
Doesn't make them unsuitable for competent sport or leisure riders to take on though .

Tammytoo

Visit site
The difference is how they are trained. Their job is to win races, so they are trained to race! They are usually pretty bombproof as they encounter just about every sight and sound at the racetrack, usually good to handle as the racing yards don't want or have time for horses that mess about.

They are very loyal and will try till they drop for you, but they are sensitive so need quiet, confident handlers. They take very well to being re-trained (in knowledgeable hands).

Obviously, I'm biased because I have had one or two!

dominobrown

Visit site
hmmmm.

i call BS.

i competed one up to inter 1 and yet somehow manage to magically also ride natives, cobs, warmbloods, irish types and every cross and mix you can think of.

TB's arent for everyone but it doesnt take someone special to ride them, just someone who wants to ride them.............i teach a huge variety of people of all different backgrounds and abilities and a fair few have ex racers and they are all just good solid riders who also ride ordinary horses.

I break in and pre-train racehorses, but when quiet at work break in and ride/ compete everything from Fell ponies, Arabs or heavy cobs. Don't consciously do anything different!

I think the most noticeable difference is that some people feel the need to hang on to horse, this would wind a racehorse up meanwhile if you chucked the reins at it and relaxed it would be fine.

Nudibranch

Visit site
Enfys, are you talking about horses in training, or out of? Or both?
There seems to be a fair old bit of bs spread about TBs. A bit like the more sensitive dog breeds. I remember getting flamed on the dogs section for thinking about getting a Saluki. What most of the nay sayers didn't bother to consider was my dog handling experience and home setup. Suffice to say we now own a fantastic Saluki who attracts complements everywhere she goes for her manners, and who has complete recall.

I am also onto my 3rd ex racer....Some people like to think they're the only ones who can do something...anyway, I digress ;)

RunToEarth

Visit site
The fact that so many people put racehorses on a pedestal does absolutely nothing for the industry whatsoever, and it often is completely unfounded.

We have 2 in training, 2 out of training and one retrained at the moment, they are all different. Yes, something older which has spent years in a racing yard environment is bound to take time to adjust to life in a private yard, but they aren't a different species, it just takes some common sense.

I agree with DB and the only thing that I do differently out hunting is throw the reins at the TB, which is actually harder than it sounds. It's when you throw the reins at the bog pony that you are in a world of trouble.

hobo

Visit site
I had an ex steeplechaser I rode him the same way I ride all the horses I have had 'badly'. He was the sweetest, easiest horse I have owned.

madmav

Visit site
I shared an ex flat TB for a while and the one thing I did notice that was different was he seemed so very quick to learn things - the good and the bad! He was also quite lazy. But very much the alpha male, which you had to watch.
The one time I rode a chaser still in training scared the pants off me. Flat out over the wilds of Cumbria. Quickly worked out though that me trying to keep him in check was making him go faster. So just gave in and hoped for the best! It was fun, in retrospect!

Visit site
I work ride racehorses, have just got home after riding 5, sometimes you ride them like any other horse (ie happy hacking days and teaching them to jump in the school) but the rest of the week you ride them like the horses that they are. Walk to and from the gallop on a loose rein leg long, Jock the irons up and pick up a slight contact for field work or steady work, pick up a strong contact for faster work. This is pretty much generic for every racehorse. Of course some will pull your arms out on the steady work so you have to grab a hold of them but it is a totally different way of riding.

You wouldnt ride a dressage horse like and endurance horse or a show jumper like a show horse. Each discipline has its own way of doing things. Racehorses in training are very much about technique over strength - realistically what can a 9st human do against half a tonne of muscle! You are up out of your saddle balancing on very little underneath you not using your reins for balance.

Of course people can ride both racehorses in work and normal horses. I show my lot, as far away from racing as you could get and I figure I am clearly not that bad a rider as I still win quite a lot and not just with my retired racers, with the natives that I learnt my craft on too. Though my riding has gone down hill since starting with the racehorses, nothing a few lessons won't sort out but who has the time for lessons these days?!?

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
This forum is full of people who buy cheap ex racers, they may find they have a horse who is difficult, it is not what they are used to/can cope with, and it may have physical problems, but if they are nervous, they tighten the reins .......... this is the signal to go on...........

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
The fact that so many people put racehorses on a pedestal does absolutely nothing for the industry whatsoever, and it often is completely unfounded.

We have 2 in training, 2 out of training and one retrained at the moment, they are all different. Yes, something older which has spent years in a racing yard environment is bound to take time to adjust to life in a private yard, but they aren't a different species, it just takes some common sense.

I agree with DB and the only thing that I do differently out hunting is throw the reins at the TB, which is actually harder than it sounds. It's when you throw the reins at the bog pony that you are in a world of trouble.
When I rode a cowboy/natural trained pony recently, it took me a few hours to stop any sort of contact, then I saw a 4 yer old kiddie riding the very same mare, more successfully than me!

zaminda

Visit site
Racehorses in training are different to ride to horses not in training. They are ridden much shorter generally and are hugely fitter. The majority if going along in the string are quite happy, but a lot won't have led anywhere especially on a big yard, although where I work at the moment 90% will go out alone.
They can change very quickly when not pumped full of food, and the difference a few hours turnout makes can be huge. I have come across a few horse in training who should be shot rather than rehomed though, although the majority of those probably have major physical problems.

Enfys

Visit site
Enfys, are you talking about horses in training, or out of? Or both?
There seems to be a fair old bit of bs spread about TBs.
I am also onto my 3rd ex racer....Some people like to think they're the only ones who can do something...anyway, I digress ;)

I was referring more to the quote ' people who ride ordinary horses' really, and the difference between a traditionally schooled riding horses (which I assume 'ordinary' refers to) as opposed to a tb (or arab even ) that is, or has been in training and is often accustomed to a slightly different way of being ridden and managed.

Agree with the bs bit :) Every horse is different, tb's are no exception, I have known totally hysterical prima donnas, your hard as nails tough nut and lots in between, but I dare say that that goes for all other breeds/types too.

I am afraid that I often read "Oh, I have an ex-racer" as if it is some sort of super-species, and I risk the wrath of all if I ever dare to write "No, it is a horse, the same as any other, just (in this case) bred for a specific trait " and therefore not suited to everyone's capabilities, ridden or otherwise.

The first time I rode a tb in training I was just legged up (wtf! How do I stay on with my knees up here?) on a 2 year old,
"just road work" they said (the utter b's) yes right, road work until the gallops,
"we'll just trot" they said, huh! So, I gathered up my reins, a la BHS and whoosh, the ****** went! I swear at least one person fell off laughing at me :(

Well, how was I (PC indoctrinated) supposed to know about contact and cues for a horse on the gallops if they didn't tell me?

I didn't fall off, it wasn't pretty but I sussed out the short stirrups, and I am pretty sure that any anglo saxon would have been proud of my command of the old language as I whisked past shouting "how the ***k do you stop the thing?"

Last edited:

Enfys

Visit site
I had an ex steeplechaser I rode him the same way I ride all the horses I have had 'badly'.

:) and that's my preferred method of riding, (I have no illusions about my score if I was ever to ride another dressage test :( ) I like to just sit there, not fuss or meddle with them unless it is needed.

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
When I rode a cowboy/natural trained pony recently, it took me a few hours to stop any sort of contact, then I saw a 4 yer old kiddie riding the very same mare, more successfully than me!

I rode out in Australia a few years ago, and being fairly experienced was put on one of their nicer homebreds. That was hilarious, I kept going backwards every time I wanted to slow down!

As a teenager I remember riding an ex-chaser whose owner point-to-pointed him every weekend. He spooked and headed off towards a five bar gate with apparently every intention of jumping it - his owner yelled "drop the reins" at me, luckily I did even though it was the last thing I wanted to do and he stopped dead. She told me if I'd held a contact he would have jumped as stronger contact means go.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I used to have a lot to do with ex racehorses. There are some that despite their breeding have no desire to do that job. Many of these really flourish doing a different job after some retraining. I used to compete RDA dressage on one of them and he suited that job down to the ground. Give him a rider with no hands, a leg missing, down's syndrome or another disability, it made no odds to him he looked after his rider and happily did walk only tests if required. The only time he lit up at all was when I took him showing and all the horses cantered round the ring together, but in the dressage arena he was so reliable (and was a fab hack too).

rachk89

Visit site
I think they are just a bit more sensitive. I mean the one I loaned got a problem with his muscles up his leg and along his back randomly. He went nuts at times when I tried to ride him. My half warmblood half native however even when we tried a saddle on him that dug into his shoulders he still behaved and was polite even though he could barely walk. I think the ex racer would have flipped out.

They are nice though. The one I knew before his issues was dead lazy. You could pony club kick and he would maybe walk forward haha. Very sweet horse too easy to love him. I just can't trust him now after what he did to me but I know it wasn't his fault.

Visit site
How I ride racehorses, quite low, crouching almostvwhen keen. Technically not correct according to the BRS but hey! It worked for Piggot, it works for me!

DeliSand.jpg

Riding my 17hh exracer show horse.

GrayMo%20Dabbs_zps5xqoglov.jpg

Right down to my 12.2hh Dartmoor!

FOCFreebsConcours_zps86747e96.jpg

I still ride the Shetlands at home too!

leflynn

Visit site
My instructor (ex jockey,events, dressage) told me the difference between a race horse and any other horse is that racehorses (or ex) know a different way of doing things. All horses are different and although I mostly just ride ny ex racer if I get on another horse I just ride it the same (yep fairly badly too). I just think its easy for people to add a label to them, same as cobs get a label too....

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
I was rather young [well, 28]and probably pixxelled, it was beautifull dawn, we danced thru the night, hand in hand we slipped on to the horses bareback, and we had a lovely gallop round the field, totally without artifacts, it was great!
Sadly he seemed rather old and tired later in the day........... crossed him off the list. We were not "intimate", he was a bit unattractive by 07.30. But it was worthwhile for that gallop. I had to replace the bottle of gin.
oops, sry thot this was humped goose.

Last edited:

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I had an ex steeple chaser. I don't remember riding him any differently to any other horse to be honest. He was a been there, seen it all type. Not overly sensitive. The only difference I suppose was that I couldn't take a 'pull' on him in canter as he'd just go faster 😀