Racing Saddles... best tactics for staying on?

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
partly inspired by HHO, I am doing some morning work at a flat racing yard - a bulk of the time is spent riding out - most of the horses are 2 or 3 years old, and all are ridden in teeny-weeny half tree race exercise saddles.

I have stayed on top so far - but I am little worried about staying put for the inevitable broncing fit - I am usually not bad at staying on, but I have realized I am totally reliant on my knee rolls - how do I stay in the plate? I have visions of loose horses running rider-less across the downs...

Genesis

Visit site
Glue!
grin.gif

seabiscuit

Visit site
I am no expert but do you have your feet well wedged in? the stirrup treads should be right up to the heel on your boot. Also have reins tightly bridged and leaning right into the neck holding the neckstrap at the same time.
When they are being silly, hips&bottom go as far out as possible, and legs further forward and hands pressed into the neck.
Also you should be allowed to have the stirrups longer if you feel more comfortable like that for the time being ?

natalia

Visit site
hehehe! its deff difficult to get used to, i rode out a for a while and found the first few times i rode in a racing saddle and the horse had a moment i came straight off, but in the end it not not too bad, you just get used to it, as siad legs forward and put yourself in the back wards number 7 possition.

MillbrookSong

heartbuster.blogspot.com
1st tips is not to ride to short and unlike what OB said do not have your feet wedged in the irons as if they do spook and you fall your foot will not come out!

2nd is that your neckstrap is your best friend - hold on to it at all times!

3rd tip would probably stay relaxed this way if they do jink or spook you are more likely to stay with them!

Follow these and *i will give myself the kiss of death now* but am in my 3rd season and not fallen off in many a sticky situation!!

seabiscuit

Visit site
Do not have the feet wedged in? Oops!! I was told at Ralphs Becketts yard the feet have to be wedged in right up to the heel. That does make you more secure but very fair ( and obvious! ) point about being dragged if you fall off!!

MillbrookSong

heartbuster.blogspot.com
Well i never have for that reason, i ride "normally" some do have there feet right in but very few and the jockey usually ride off there toes!

Would say this would be about normal for me and most people at work but we are a NH yard but dont think that makes a lot of difference??

n502710561_5371829_8382.jpg

Joss

Visit site
Honestly, trust me you will get used to it. I lurve, lurve my racing saddle with a passion. Its my safest, comfiest saddle. Make sure you have nice comfy pads under neath. I used to have a poly pad plus quite thick gel pad that bends in the middle (not one of those horrid heavy ones!)

Ride at length that is comfortable for you. Dont be afraid to put stirrups down for walking/trotting & up for cantering. I often alter mine by about 10 holes. There is a saying in racing; ride long, live long!!

Also, hear, hear to advise about neckstraps. Think of it as your seatbelt & ignore jibes from naughty fearless irish men, that will be making chicken noises at you & hang onto that neckstrap at the first sign of trouble. Both hands is fine
grin.gif

seabiscuit

Visit site
Thank god you said something! Will change that now. Must admit I have seen lots of Jocks ride like that but do agree its not safe:)

amage

Visit site
you'll be surprised how quick you adapt...i adapted to it so much that everything yest bucked and had episodes...the only one i fell off was the hunter i was hacking in a normal saddle!!!

Gamebird

Visit site
Stayed on 3 buckers yesterday..... I do ride slightly longer than most but probably about 4 holes up from my XC length. I was having a chat with the trainer's wife (who often rides the naughty ones) yesterday about neckstraps and we agreed that we tuck our fingers in automatically, whether on a donkey or a loon. Reins bridged, hands pushed tight in either side of the neck, fingers tucked in neckstrap.

Oddly I have a raw patch on the inside of each knee today - methinks I may be gripping a little too much (in my defence they did properly buck and I did stay on.....).

Trainer says he likes that I have my feet properly in the stirrups as lots of people don't but I don't think they're any further in than I would XC TBH.

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
advice much appreciated!

I feel safe enough riding v short for the gallop work - that bit is fantastic! Others on the yard put stirrups up/down for the hack to and from, so I am also doing that. It's a very strange feeling though these saddles - like being bareback, but with some stirrups attached.

On the first day, I was put on a 3yo which is coming back from injury - first time it had been out of the yard, and although it had had a little bit of sedative, it still stood up vertical quite a few times in a row, with a bit of jinking and spinning thrown in. I actually stayed aboard with feet still in stirrups and earnt a 'well sat' from yard jockey... but then think I overheard later that I could be put on such-and-such a horse because I'd probably stay on. I DON'T want a rep of staying on to start with, I would prefer an easy life with easy horses
crazy.gif

But it's all worth it for the fast work isn't it
grin.gif

madgirl

Visit site
you will get used to it, iv hunted and,been xc in it....and ditto others your neckstrap is like your seatbelt lol!

MissDeMeena

Visit site
You'll learn to love a racing saddle.. i'm now at the stage where if there's anything fresh, i'd much rather ride in a race saddle than a hunting saddle!!!
ride with your foot well wedged into the iron!!

MissDeMeena

Visit site
lol, i've only just read the whole thread.. i agree, it's prob not that safe, but i have some 'barns buckles' on my irons at work, so if i do fall off and my foot becomes stuck, i [hopefully] wont get dragged!!!!
I do feel ALOT more secure with my whole foot in.. it also makes it alot easier to hold the pullers, as you can get moor weight down through your leg..

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
plenty of pictures in the H&H this week of NH jockeys with feet well wedged into the irons... so I assume it's a bit of a personal preference thing. I always ride with feet fairly well into the irons, so will continue to do so.

MissDeMeena

Visit site
NH feet are wedged well in.. flat jocks ride just on their big toe..
All racing yards seem to have an 'old man' who has been riding racehorses all his life, and they usually all ride with their whole foot wedged in, regardless of flat/NH backround.

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
yes, have noticed the stereotypical older horseman, casually smoking on board with horse messing about all over the place, totally unconcerned!