Racing today - Pric Arc de Triomphe

Clodagh

Visit site
I had a bet on her. I always support the girls in the Arc! OH is watching the rugby so I haven’t seen it yet.

Janique

Visit site
That's just why, i don't like or support racing anymore...

All those people with their top hats, drinking champagne and congratulating themselves,
they don't give a damn about the broken horse or for the lads looking after him..

The is no worst feeling of bringing the bridle back to the stable without your horse when you are a lad.....

As for the owners, well, they will just buy another one and carry one regardless.

I just have no respect for those people, they really don't give a s----

slimjim86

Visit site

All those people with their top hats, drinking champagne and congratulating themselves,
they don't give a damn about the broken horse or for the lads looking after him..

The is no worst feeling of bringing the bridle back to the stable without your horse when you are a lad.....

As for the owners, well, they will just buy another one and carry one regardless.

Yep I used to love racing but the powers that be don't seem interested in looking into why horses are breaking down, doing anything to help their long-term soundness such as starting them later, investigating the bloodlines that don't stay sound etc. They just keep churning out more and more replacements, to hell with all the ones that find themselves on the scrap heap 😢

Time for Tea

Visit site

Yes.

humblepie

Visit site
Very sad about Haya Zark. Seems to be a lot of flat horses breaking down. It’s not right to say though that nothing being done as BHA have work ongoing with all fatalities on the racecourse or within 48 hours looked into to research factors to help inform future work. Do totally agree though about those at the races who don’t care and just look to see if they’ve won.

Beausmate

Visit site
You bet people are looking into horses breaking down. These top horses (and they seem to be becoming much more fragile recently) are worth a lot of money. Haya Zark was due to go to stud next year, so even if the owners only care about the prestige, they're not going to want to lose anymore money than they have to.

Besides, a lot of owners do care about the horses. The stable staff adore them.

And nobody wants to see breakdowns. It's not good for racing, from anyone's point of view.

Anyway, Bluestocking ran a fabulous race, and a great ride from Rossa. Well done!

Darcey69

Visit site

I turned out much loved horse out in the field Friday night and had to.call the emergency vet Saturday morning as we thought he had suffered a potentially lethal accident. Looks like he will make it, but he is a retired one already. When he was originally retired due to foot issues we bought another - does that make us bad people? Should we also not turn out anymore as it's dangerous? Accidents happen. Racing has it's faults but the majority of the owners connected to Uk and European racing care deeply about their horses in my experience, and the lads and trainers definitely do. Blue Stocking will probably be retired now and live an excellent life in the paddocks at one of Juddmonte's stud farms. She's only 4.

Chiffy

Visit site
I only really follow National Hunt racing but Marcus Armytage wrote an article in my weekend paper about Rossa Ryan explaining that he didn’t even intend to be a jockey and now he was about to ride a fancied horse in the Arc.
I decided to watch as I was indoors anyway. Amazing race, great filly. Ryan quoted that she has an unbelievable will to win.

Orangehorse

Visit site
It is wrong to say people don't care. It certainly affects the atmosphere, no one wants an accident. But as I have always said about racing, there are always at three lots of people, the owner, the trainer, the jockey who are extremely happy at the end of a race. Although 90% of racing is disappointing, that 10% of success makes it worth while, and that is a direct quote.

The horseracing authorities are looking into it and I raised the subject with a trainer, who said that he had bought two horses from France for NH racing and both of them broke a leg on the gallops, needless to say he wouldn't be getting any more from that source. Why? He wasn't sure, although all his horses are turned out after exercise unless in the depths of winter and it was obviously something he was concerned about it.

I was thinking about this - of course it must be the breeding. If you think of all the event horses that go round courses, up and down and jumping, the accident rate is very very low, and although there might occasionally be a tendon injury, I have yet to hear of an event horse just breaking a leg on the flat (it might have happened).

I don't think it is necessarily the age at which racehorses start work, because starting to race at 2 has been the norm all over the world for a long, long time, and a study in Australia found that the starting young actually improved soundness over their working life.

So it is back to breeding lines, and that will take an international approach to sort out.

I wonder if a veterinary university would undertake a study?

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Perhaps those who omitted initially to reflect on the horrific loss of a horse in a very high profile race and who instead seemed to be more concerned about the bets they had placed on the race might reflect on how that appears.
I will choose to ignore that blatant criticism of me other than to advise the ITV 7 is not gambling and no money is involved. I trust that helps you understand what is and what is not gambling.

Far more horses are lost in low profile races and in training yards than those lost in high profile races. Only difference is the media coverage. Many high profile owners, JP and the late Trevor Hemming for instance provide excellent care for their retired horses. Just recently 2 exceptional horses died at grand ages, Istabraq was 31, Bindaree slightly younger.

Quality of life after racing has never been higher than it is now. Take a look at the ROR classes, 30 plus in a class. There is far more suffering going on in hidden away yards and fields than there is when a horse is fatally injured racing. The race horse is dealt with within minutes, unlike the hidden away suffering horses and ponies.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I hold my hands up that I did not realise that the ITV7 is not gambling. I’m still disappointed but not surprised about the post race chatter which didn’t include a reference to the horrific death on course.

I used to be a racing fan who would be glued to the telly for the big festivals, but the rate of attrition on course and in training now sickens me.

minesadouble

Visit site
I hold my hands up that I did not realise that the ITV7 is not gambling. I’m still disappointed but not surprised about the post race chatter which didn’t include a reference to the horrific death on course.

I used to be a racing fan who would be glued to the telly for the big festivals, but the rate of attrition on course and in training now sickens me.
I'm fairly confident in saying that the fatality rate has actually dropped in the last 20 years. So are you saying you were unaware of the fatalities previously or has your viewpoint just changed over the years when you say it 'now' sickens you?
I'm not being facetious just wondering whether it is increased reporting the that has now made you sickened by the sport.

Time for Tea

Visit site
Good to hear that the rate of fatalities has dropped, and I hope that efforts continue up to be made to avert these tragedies, both in training and in races.

I think, as I see it, horse racing is a contradictory sport. It contains a kind of magic that draws you in. There are the crowds, in their jazzy finery. The famous old courses, the history, the betting, the buzz, the money flowing, the joy, the anxiety.

Then of course there are the horses, the most beautiful creatures on earth, bred and refined to the pinnacle of possibilities, parading their power. The sheer, exhilarating, impossible, thrilling speed of them, straining life and limb to please, just to please the demands of the predator perched on their back.

And then everyone dashed to earth, the crushing realisation hammered home that in the midst of celebrating one of the most triumphant moments in life, death has intervened.

It is two sides of the same coin. No wonder it stirs us, and also sometimes revolts us.

Maddie Moo

Visit site
France Galop are investigating Haya Zara’s death - results will be back in 10 days. This is the translated press statement.

LINK

The day after Haya Zark's death during the 103rd edition of the Qatar Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe, France Galop responded with a press release: "The loss of a horse is always a tragedy. We deplore this sad event and we share in the pain and emotion of the horse's entire entourage, and in particular his owners Odette Fau and Georges de La Rochebrochard. Yesterday, 1,400 meters from the finish of the Qatar Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe, the horse Haya Zark suddenly lost his action, gradually weakening. His jockey tried to stop the horse and the veterinary services present on site immediately mobilized. Unfortunately, the track veterinarian could only note the death of the horse, making an initial diagnosis of suspected abdominal hemorrhage. France Galop opened an investigation yesterday afternoon to understand the origin of the accident and its causes. It will allow us to know the precise circumstances that led to this tragic death. The usual biological samples (horsehair and blood) were taken immediately after the race, knowing that Haya Zark had previously been the subject of a sample before the race like all competitors in the Qatar Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe. As soon as the death was confirmed, an autopsy was requested in addition. The results of this investigation will be known within 10 days.”

Clodagh

Visit site
Good to hear that the rate of fatalities has dropped, and I hope that efforts continue up to be made to avert these tragedies, both in training and in races.

I think, as I see it, horse racing is a contradictory sport. It contains a kind of magic that draws you in. There are the crowds, in their jazzy finery. The famous old courses, the history, the betting, the buzz, the money flowing, the joy, the anxiety.

Then of course there are the horses, the most beautiful creatures on earth, bred and refined to the pinnacle of possibilities, parading their power. The sheer, exhilarating, impossible, thrilling speed of them, straining life and limb to please, just to please the demands of the predator perched on their back.

And then everyone dashed to earth, the crushing realisation hammered home that in the midst of celebrating one of the most triumphant moments in life, death has intervened.

It is two sides of the same coin. No wonder it stirs us, and also sometimes revolts us.
That’s beautifully put. I rarely bet as I think it demeans the beautiful animals to make it all about money.
I have no problem with people that do, as it keeps the sport going for me.

Smitty

Visit site

Well, years ago my ex was in a syndicate with a little mare who did well in lower grade hurdle races. They put her to a good stallion and bred a dear little chap who went on to be placed and win at a couple of West Country tracks. Sadly he fell in a hurdle race at Chepstow when landing in the lead at the penultimate fence and broke his leg. It was about 16 years ago and I can't remember how many of us went home totally gutted. I'm including the trainer, a one man band and her best horse, the jockey, not a hugely famous one, my sister who had ridden him out, OH who has only ever been to Chelt festival since where he won't see a horse in the flesh and another couple of chaps in the syndicate who had been there from day 1.

His mum, now roughly 30, wanders around at my sister's place and gets lots of carrots.

I have a miniscule share in an Owners Group horse who has been entered in a Grade 1 chase at Chepstow on Sat. I hope and pray his lovely trainer says going too soft and pulls him out. Whatever, I won't watch.

Ditchjumper2

Visit site
So the French horse didn't break his leg, it was a hemorrhage, but that could mean either heart or internal. Sadly, probably just one of those things.

Every horse is inspected by vets when they arrive at the racecourse.
I certainly thought it had as the near hind was swinging oddly but maybe as a result of the haemorrhage.

Maddie Moo

Visit site
I certainly thought it had as the near hind was swinging oddly but maybe as a result of the haemorrhage.

I watched the jockey cam from the race, assuming they’d cut the moment out (which they didn’t - definitely wasn’t expecting it to be kept in!) he went very uncoordinated which is very classic of haemorrhaging - the jockey shouted to the other riders to warn them to clear a path, otherwise I think it could have been much worse with other horses brought down.

Last edited:

Janique

Visit site
I know that some owners do like and care for their horses, also the trainer and lads do too.

But i worked in Pau ( France) for one meeting over the winter, they have NH racing and the ground is usually terrible et boggy.

So many horse were injuried, nearly one in every race, it was just too much for me. Young horses having their first race and falling everywhere.

Here in Switzerland, they have banned the whip in flat racing and reduced the use of the whip for the trotting horses too.

I really hope that one day, they will ban 2 years old racing here, they usually have only 4 starters and not long ago another broke a leg.

Don't tell me that it is right for a 2 years old to race, as horses mature slowly..... They are broken at 18 months are so small, even the
stable's lad are too heavy for them....

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
The amount Amo Racing are spending at the sales is obscene- not just one horse either

Wonder what will happen to those horses if they aren't any good

I think Time for Tea summed it up perfectly

bonny

Visit site
The amount Amo Racing are spending at the sales is obscene- not just one horse either

Wonder what will happen to those horses if they aren't any good

I think Time for Tea summed it up perfectly
It’s Amo racing and it shows how the racing industry is doing just fine at the top, there is a lot of money and jobs involved and us mere mortals can look forward to seeing these horses run next year. Maybe one of them will prove to be a champion and that’s the kind of money it takes to buy the top yearlings.