Racing today - Pric Arc de Triomphe

slimjim86

Visit site
I get that a lot of people in racing ( from owners, to trainers to stable staff) do care for horses and do try to do best by them, that unfortunately doesn't change the fact that ( in my opinion) the sport is set up in such a way that a huge amount of wastage and callatoral damage is inevitable. My issue is I don't see enough being done to try to change this.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Absolutely sickening leg snap on the approach to a jump, again

I honestly can't remember this happening previously if it's a crashing fall there's a clear cause but legs just snapping? Yeah I'm finding that harder to stomach I think the poster earlier in the thread put it perfectly

People on the racing comments saying they're shocked City of Troy is off to stud already, they will have people queuing up to use him at stud for thousands, they could race on and something like that could happen of course they're going to go with the stud value he's a multiple g1 winner

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
I’ve watched racing for years have always preferred jump racing but watched the flat as well . After seeing a couple breakdown recently on the flat I’ve stopped watching the flat and may not watch the jumping either..

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
That's the one I was referring to, hideous leg break but not even the result of a fall/misstep, bowling along in front at the time

It's not even just the jumps anymore it's happening more on the flat

Clodagh

Visit site
And if the people in this thread saying no one cares should watch Willy T-D crying over the horse. 😞

Last edited:

Smitty

Visit site
Just wondering: Are more NH mares being bred with flat stallions. I seem to remember Deep Run hurdled and while some of his bled, he did have a lot of horses that ran and ran.

The flat horses retire young. But then again, are there any NH horses that are entire at the moment. Alderbrook was the last I can recall.

Clodagh

Visit site
I’ve got an Owners group share in Wouldubewell. She’s a proper chasing mare and in goal to Kingston Hill.
But at the stud apparently she looks absolutely huge compared to all the flat mares so I guess she’s a rarity.
The mares racing program is really quite new. Hopefully it will encourage proven mares to be used at stud.
Jane Williams has an entire racing but he needs to up his game or is off for the snip, he’s Authoceltic.

reynold

Visit site
See Nicky H has got an entire called Palladium who won the German Derby this year. (Nice name as well)

NH says that as he's eligible for Grp 1 flat races he will run on the flat next year and will remain entire but will eventually go over hurdles. Someone paid 1.4 million euros for him. Will be interesting to see if he progresses in both codes and ends up at stud.

Part of the breeding problem is not just the stamp of the flat horses but that so much recent focus has been on sprint and middle distance and not stayers which often are more 'substantial' horses. Hence there is little interest these days in a 3yo getting the Triple Crown in the UK as the 1mile 6 furlong St. Ledger is viewed as a 'bad thing' for a horse to have on it's CV for its stud career. They only have a semi-decent field for the Ledger now by having opened up the race to older horses as well as 3 yolds.

As a Stradivarius fan I'll be watching over the years ahead to see how he survives at stud and how his progeny do.

Clodagh

Visit site
See Nicky H has got an entire called Palladium who won the German Derby this year. (Nice name as well)

NH says that as he's eligible for Grp 1 flat races he will run on the flat next year and will remain entire but will eventually go over hurdles. Someone paid 1.4 million euros for him. Will be interesting to see if he progresses in both codes and ends up at stud.

Part of the breeding problem is not just the stamp of the flat horses but that so much recent focus has been on sprint and middle distance and not stayers which often are more 'substantial' horses. Hence there is little interest these days in a 3yo getting the Triple Crown in the UK as the 1mile 6 furlong St. Ledger is viewed as a 'bad thing' for a horse to have on it's CV for its stud career. They only have a semi-decent field for the Ledger now by having opened up the race to older horses as well as 3 yolds.

As a Stradivarius fan I'll be watching over the years ahead to see how he survives at stud and how his progeny do.
Coolmore luckily have the money to stand stayers.
Love Strad and he certainly stamps his stock, it will be great to see them on the track.
Palladium won a terrible Derby and yowsers at the spend but best of luck to him.

bonny

Visit site
Coolmore luckily have the money to stand stayers.
Love Strad and he certainly stamps his stock, it will be great to see them on the track.
Palladium won a terrible Derby and yowsers at the spend but best of luck to him.
Somebody can obviously see something in Palladium that isn’t apparent to the rest of us and I think it’s a crazy amount to spend on an unproven hurdler who might well turn out to be not very good!