Racing today

Hackback

Visit site
I watched Snow Leopardess win her race, shouting at the TV, what a tense finish. The crap weather knocked out the satellite dish after the race though so I don't know what happened to the fallers. Did they say?

LeneHorse

Visit site
I was also shouting at the TV for snow leopardess to win! And they did say later that all the fallers were OK. A few photo finishes today - it was great viewing.

Visit site
Snow Leopardess was superb wasn't she! Ears pricked pinging out in front! As much as I wanted Craig to win I didn't want the trainer he was riding for to win ?? Aiden Coleman got 7 days and a £1550 fine for overuse of the Whip ... hmmmmm I think when jockeys end up with that much of a fine and ban they should forfeit their prize money too!

Edwardstone was mighty impressive too! Ankle this season, Queen Mother next!?

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Snow Leopardess was superb wasn't she! Ears pricked pinging out in front! As much as I wanted Craig to win I didn't want the trainer he was riding for to win ?? Aiden Coleman got 7 days and a £1550 fine for overuse of the Whip ... hmmmmm I think when jockeys end up with that much of a fine and ban they should forfeit their prize money too!

Edwardstone was mighty impressive too! Ankle this season, Queen Mother next!?
i think when its that close and the winner has overused the whip, the jockey should be penalised much more heavily, otherwise he will continue to do it...in effect he has broken the rules and doesnt deserve to win, although i love snow leopardess she won unfairly IMO

Visit site
i think when its that close and the winner has overused the whip, the jockey should be penalised much more heavily, otherwise he will continue to do it...in effect he has broken the rules and doesnt deserve to win, although i love snow leopardess she won unfairly IMO

It's not the fault of the horse and I do not agree that she herself won unfairly. Full blame must be laid at the jockeys feet and the punishment rarely fits the crime enough to deter them in big races like that sadly. The Whip rule has come into question on so many occasions and even now they are still discussing it and will continue to do so forever more. Until they scrap using the Whip for nothing more than safety it will always be abused.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i love the horse and wanted her to win , but would she have won if he hadnt broken the rules? i agree, the penalty is not harsh enough and i would like the whip only used for safety. i have no problem with a slap down the shoulder to sharpen up jumping or to keep horse straight but dont like seeing it used too much on the run in when they have had a long race..

Orangehorse

Visit site
A great day's racing with some lovely results.

I didn't know that the jockey on Snow Leopardess had been fined, but it would have been such a shame if she had been beaten at the last gasp.

Looking sideways on it often looks as though a jockey is using his whip and hitting the horse, although in fact they are not. The stewards can see, of course.

Bob notacob

Visit site
A great day's racing with some lovely results.

I didn't know that the jockey on Snow Leopardess had been fined, but it would have been such a shame if she had been beaten at the last gasp.

Looking sideways on it often looks as though a jockey is using his whip and hitting the horse, although in fact they are not. The stewards can see, of course.
Drawing a line at which use of the whip is excessive does create a problem , Frankly if I were a jockey now ,I would look at the possibilities of putting on a pair of spurs . I used to point to point with them . Far more effective than a whip. Are they banned on the flat , I dont think so? PS , Try to watch the application of spurs in a race, impossible.

stangs

Visit site
Frankly if I were a jockey now ,I would look at the possibilities of putting on a pair of spurs
I should hope this doesn’t happen. Very difficult to see misuse of spurs in comparison to a crop. And I would like to think that jockeys care about maintaining the animal’s welfare.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I have always wondered how much use smacking them with a whip really is, when the horse already appears as though they are giving the jockey everything they have; which is what is appears every horse is doing on the home straight.
A genuine question, I have never ridden in anything resembling a race or an in training racehorse so I wouldn't know.