Raffling a horse

Jambarissa

Visit site
Browsing dealer sites. There is one who is a very good and well respected dealer who is selling tickets to win a horse.

£2 per ticket, when he's sold £5k worth a winner will be drawn and can choose from a number of horses he has at that price bracket.

I dont really want to name him because I know he's a really good and caring dealer, but surely this is madness?

I bet at least half of those buying tickets are kids who don't have the means to keep a horse, and probably the rest are adults who don't have the means either.

Aren't there rules around these sorts of competitions? Like no under 18s and someone impartial has to oversee it and I'm not even sure you can give animals as prizes? Although I remember entering the Horse and Pony Win a Pony comp every year when I was a kid, so maybe you can.

If anyone knows real guidance around these sorts of things I can pm you the dealer. I'd rather he didn't get into trouble, he's one of the good ones.

meleeka

Visit site
I don’t mind that as much as the wannabe travellers who raffle horses, dogs and probably even their grandmothers if they wanted the money 😂

Whoever wins gets to choose, but I wonder what happens if theres nothing suitable available? It just seems like a way to make £5k for horses you can’t sell.

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
I don’t mind that as much as the wannabe travellers who raffle horses, dogs and probably even their grandmothers if they wanted the money 😂

Whoever wins gets to choose, but I wonder what happens if theres nothing suitable available? It just seems like a way to make £5k for horses you can’t sell.
I agree , i think these horses will be the failed vettings and the unsaleable ones. Just to get rid!

Peglo

Visit site
Some of that agri comps on FB advertise a trio of heifers as prizes.

It’s seems madness to me to advertise animals as a prize. But I guess people handing over money could as easily be a welfare case.

Visit site
My mum won an American Miniature Colt foal once in a raffle. It was Mare Stare running it and she bought 1 ticket just because that's what you do. People were buying hundreds of tickets because the foal was such a rare colour with good bloodlines. And of course my mother's single ticket won. There was no way she was bringing the pony over from America so she gifted it to the charity she sent proper shetland ponies out to there. That caused a ruckus! There were plans afoot to steal it, kidnap it and ransom it etc. Because they didnt want the charity to have it as they would geld it and that wasn't a good option for such a well bred, silver Colt. So he got moved and gelded in secret. People were really not happy about it! The pony lived a great life on the ranch looking after kids.

Jambarissa

Visit site
I've done some googling, looks like it is legal to give animals as prizes in some counties, but it does look like you need a license if its raising money for a commercial enterprise and there isn't a free entry route.

tda

Visit site
There was a fell pony foal being given as a prize from a raffle recently on fb, can't find it now
My friend ended up with a Hackney pony yearling filly after it was an unwanted raffle prize at the breed show

Sleighfarer

Visit site
I think what he's doing is probably illegal as it sounds like it's an actual raffle and he's not raising money for charity. If you know where he is based you could contact his local council and ask them to investigate it, as I think they issue licences for such things.

Jambarissa

Visit site
It's genuine. On his Facebook page, been running for over a week with people buying tickets on the comments and him replying to them.

I'm really very, very surprised with this. He's a very genuine dealer well known for taking horses back way after the trial ends and doing endless swaps to try to please people.

I think with him advertising on FB and not being able to put prices he must get a million people contacting him without a suitable budget and has just thought this will be a good way to help these people.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
It's genuine. On his Facebook page, been running for over a week with people buying tickets on the comments and him replying to them.

I'm really very, very surprised with this. He's a very genuine dealer well known for taking horses back way after the trial ends and doing endless swaps to try to please people.

I think with him advertising on FB and not being able to put prices he must get a million people contacting him without a suitable budget and has just thought this will be a good way to help these people.
Or to get rid of what he can't sell!

stangs

Visit site
Makes me wonder how many of us on here would buy a ticket? If i was looking, i would have been tempted.
I haven't got a clue who the dealer is so i am 'safe'.
If I had the space, there’d no stopping me from buying a ticket regardless of the quality of the horse, whether it was sound, or the ethical dilemmas behind a raffle. Rationality goes out the window when you’re someone who grew up reading National Velvet.

Jambarissa

Visit site
I am looking but he's quite a high priced dealer so his £5k horses are the sold from the field ones - generally a bit older but I've no doubt they're sound, he's not a bin end dealer.

He's said if this is a success he'll do it with the higher prices ones.

Thing is it could take months or longer for him to sell all the tickets. From the comments I think he's sold a few hundred. He's a few hundred followers, how likely is he to sell 2.5k tickets?

Goldie's mum

Visit site
Sorry, Jambarissa, but to my mind he just stopped being a "very good and well respected dealer". I would expect a good dealer to match rider to horse and refuse to sell to someone who was going to be very over-horsed for example. If he just wants to make as many sales as possible he won't be getting my business. Also no warranty if you win a horse, presumably?
(This is a hypothetical flounce off, since he isn't in my area! 😆 )

Last edited:

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site

Jambarissa

Visit site
It's not illegal as it's a raffle but giving animals as prizes is
Where did you find that info please?

According to the gambling commission website it is illegal without a license since its a commercial business and theres no free entry route.

Whilst the Rspca says giving animals as prizes is not illegal in England and Wales but is against regs in certain counties.

I've told a friend who bought from him, she's going to tactfully raise it. He may know and not care. Or he may have a license.

Sleighfarer

Visit site
I'm afraid I can't see how what he is doing is any different to a scam. Is there nobody on the Facebook thread asking him what will happen if he doesn't sell enough tickets? Will they get their money back? Is there some mechanism by which people can find out how much has been raised for this uncharitable venture, or do they just have to take his word for it? Why is there no draw date?