Raffling off a horse (legalities)

show_jumper

Visit site
hi everyone - we're trying to raise some money on a yard near us and were going to raffle off a horse as the main prize (like they did at hand once)....just wondering if anyone knew what the legalities were for this? other than making sure the winner is capable and confident to care for the horse???
thanks

annaellie

Visit site
Am not sure of legalities, but when I was younger a local riding school used to do this every year, the lady used to go down to beeston sales and buy a load of sec d foals to sell on she bought them for peanuts and used to sell them on but she would always take 1 out and raffle it off, she made a fortune on it.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
It is completely illegal for you to do so.
If you give me a moment, I'll find the law that you are breaking.
B
grin.gif

timmy1977

Visit site
as far as i am aware Hand didnt do it in the end they said they hadnt sold enough tickets, it was 25 a ticket, i wonder how many people didnt bother getting there money back i know i didnt, probably not a bad little earner for them.

CracklinRosie

Visit site
Apart from possibly being illegal I would say this is also irresponsible and immoral. Think there may be a lot of strong feelings on this here and maybe you are trying to get a rise out of us?

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
Right, in Scotland it is against the law - see extract below.
(I don't know where you live).
B
grin.gif

Animal Health and Welfare (Scotland) Act 2006 (asp 11)
Part 2—Animal welfare
31 Offering animals as prizes
(1) A person commits an offence if the person offers or gives an animal to another person as
a prize.
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply where the prize is offered or given in a family context.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
I don't even think you can give goldfish as fairground prizes any more (thank god). Legalities aside, who in their right mind FFF would offer a bloody HORSE as a raffle prize???? Are you mad??? It's a living creature FGS and needs money, a home, knowledge etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc or it will end up on a meat wagon somewhere.

I've got a better idea. Why not just offer as the prize the opportunity to send a horse to an abattoir? Cut out the middle step? Be a lot quicker and less torment for the poor bloody horse.

Jeez.

Ginger_Thing

Visit site
If it is illegal to give an animal as a prize, how does 'Your Horse' magazine get away with their 'win a horse' competition?
confused.gif
Is it because they have to pass selection tests, assessments etc? I suppose they don't actually give 'a horse' as a prize, they buy one for the winner of the comp?

JaneMBE

Visit site
yeh that's the way i read it Ginger.
They buy the horse for the winner, not actually have a horse ready wrapped as a prize.

Stinkbomb

goldenoakmochachino.blogspot.com
[ QUOTE ]
other than making sure the winner is capable and confident to care for the horse???

[/ QUOTE ]

How are you going to do this exactly??? If they have bought a ticket and won, they have won, regardless of whether they are capable of looking after it. Despite being illegal its totally immoral to raffle a live creature.
mad.gif

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
yeh that's the way i read it Ginger.
They buy the horse for the winner, not actually have a horse ready wrapped as a prize.

[/ QUOTE ]

They aren't actually taking money directly for the entry to the competition either - so it is more of a horse giveaway. So you don't have to buy a ticket.
laugh.gif

B
grin.gif

gemmahodgkinson

Visit site
it's also against the law as you would be classed as running a lottery, if you are selling tickets for money and it is a game of chance as to who wins it is classed as a lottery and you need a licence.

LadyRascasse

Visit site
bysides the welfare issues you are leaving yourself open to damages should anything go wrong with the horse and they are left with (for want of a better word) useless horse.

i personally wouldn't raffle a horse but what about getting a top rider to agree to give some lessons as top prize either on there own horse or one of theres.

show_jumper

Visit site
ok ok before this gets too heated... i'd just like to point out that i said we're helping a yard near us.... i have not provided the horse or aided in any way other than saying ill pass word around about the raffle - we're just trying to help them - its not us actually doing the raffle!!! i personally wouldnt do it! but thats my opinion -
however - i do know that its not like a huge open raffle its just for people on their yard and a few of their close friends (big yard)...rather than being open to any tom dick or harry!!!(and we all know the horse in question)
just thought i'd give u all an update incase you'd got the wrong idea.....
i simply wondered what legal hurdles they might encounter along the way - as its an idea they've only just put together (although i think from reading this - they'll most probably think twice now!!)

thanks..keep voicing your opinions!!!!

CracklinRosie

Visit site
If it wasn't illegal to have a live animal as a prize you can get round the licence buy making it a game of skill, i.e. spot the ball etc. That's how best of the best get round it at the airport for the cars and bikes they have as prizes!