Ragwort pulling

Mule

Visit site
My ragwort is currently dying courtesy of glyphosate ? I got fed up of other stuff not working so I went for the nuclear option

Mule

Visit site
An alternative to spraying is a weed wand to burn off the plants, especially if there aren't loads of plants.
I'm tempted to try to make a DIY one. The only thing I've found to kill mature docks is glyphosate and unfortunately it also kills grass. A weed wand would avoid the problem.

J&S

Visit site
My step daughter and husband live in an adjoining property to ours and they made a bank along their driveway and last year pre their wedding they planted what is described as Devon hedge row wild flowers. It looked really pretty last year but this year it has just come up with rather coarse white flowers and to our HORROR three huge ragwort plants!!! Needless to say these are now on the bonfire but I think this is a continuation of the theme of planting ragwort in the woodlands which I have heard mentioned. (some group doing a "save the ragwort " campaign!) In general, since I have been in Devon, ragwort in the ponies' fields has not been a problem. Where I was in the New Forest we had to have these ragwort working parties every summer. My big hate is the docks, a constant battle as I don't use spray because of step daughters little dog. she is a vet and just won't have it.

little_critter

Visit site
My step daughter and husband live in an adjoining property to ours and they made a bank along their driveway and last year pre their wedding they planted what is described as Devon hedge row wild flowers. It looked really pretty last year but this year it has just come up with rather coarse white flowers and to our HORROR three huge ragwort plants!!! Needless to say these are now on the bonfire but I think this is a continuation of the theme of planting ragwort in the woodlands which I have heard mentioned. (some group doing a "save the ragwort " campaign!) In general, since I have been in Devon, ragwort in the ponies' fields has not been a problem. Where I was in the New Forest we had to have these ragwort working parties every summer. My big hate is the docks, a constant battle as I don't use spray because of step daughters little dog. she is a vet and just won't have it.
I'd be surprised if Ragwort grew well in a woodland. I can't say I've seen it grow there naturally. It seems to prefer rough grassland and poorer areas where the grass isn't thriving.
Oh well, if it keeps them quiet by planting ragwort in an area where it won't grow well then that's fine by me!

AFB

Visit site
No, we're actively discouraged from touching it as YO wants to make sure it's removed properly, not just ripped off and the base left for next year. (DIY Livery)

honetpot

Visit site
An alternative to spraying is a weed wand to burn off the plants, especially if there aren't loads of plants.
Tried that and it didn't work.
I had a pet plant in my front lawn that I tried various methods of destruction on, including a weed wand on a large patch. Nothing really works apart from spot spray round up or removal including the roots, unless you pay for proper agricultural spraying. Mowing stopped it seeding, as do sheep.
It does best on 'poor land', so I use Suregrow fertiliser, because then the grass has a chance out competing it.

Last edited:

honetpot

Visit site
No, we're actively discouraged from touching it as YO wants to make sure it's removed properly, not just ripped off and the base left for next year. (DIY Livery)
I don't really understand that as just removing the flowers prevents them from setting seed and making the more seedlings, that's really why sheep are used to control ragwort. They do not kill it, they just stop it from reproducing and weaken the plants.
I visited somewhere at the weekend that had 3ft high plants in full bloom in a paddock, because they had,'no longer have goats'. Agh!

AFB

Visit site
I don't really understand that as just removing the flowers prevents them from setting seed and making the more seedlings, that's really why sheep are used to control ragwort. They do not kill it, they just stop it from reproducing and weaken the plants.
I visited somewhere at the weekend that had 3ft high plants in full bloom in a paddock, because they had,'no longer have goats'. Agh!
We have very little because it's managed well, if we tear the flowers off on our way past YO has no chance of finding whats left to remove it properly rather than us just weaken it. We leave it alone and let him know and hey presto, it's gone properly within hours.