Rain roulette!

Annagain

Visit site
My two are currently naked. The tail end of storm Michael is on the way. I intended to get them clean and rugged tonight ready for the rain and wind over the next couple of days. I'm now sitting in the office staring at the darkest skies ever hoping it doesn't arrive early. I was up at the yard this morning as the farrier was there and opted not to rug them then as it's still so warm. This time of year is so difficult!

SEL

Visit site
I know! Last night I just popped a no fill on as it was so warm and had a VERY grumpy "I got cold and I'm really not happy about it" mare this morning. She's also gone back out naked so if it rains this afternoon I'll definitely be off her Xmas card list.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
It is difficult, isn't it? The last time we were forecast very heavy rain and wind for a Saturday (couple of weekends ago?) we intended to bring them in for the morning to dry off, only to find that the rain had come sooner than expected, the girls had been eating all night and although their coats were wet, they were fine but during the summer they got very wet one day and were shivering because their summer coats just weren't up to the weather.
Our plan for tonight/tomorrow is to leave them unrugged because the wind here gets under the rug and could cause problems, put them into the field with shelter from weather from the south, give them loads of haylage and cross our fingers!

Polos Mum

Visit site
Temperature too - I've left for work at 6.30am and had to scrape my car to get the ice off then back at 6pm in 20 degrees ! I can't rug for that range!
Mine are too hairy to rug so they will be in during the worst of it. They won't melt but with the wind the sideways rain they seem to really dislike - I think the wind pushes the wet through their coat a lot more than if it's just falling straight down, when it runs off quite efficiently!

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
hoping mine will at least feel something during the next storm and shiver off some weight. you'd think that naked at 1400ft with little natural shelter, 70mph winds and torrential rain they might but I doubt it. nice to not have to worry about rugs in that sort of weather though.

Equine_Dream

Visit site
Hi Anna
I believe you are the same part of the country as me! I had the same dilemma with my lot. The one is a tb and a complete wuss so he is out in a rain sheet today. My section D and Welsh pony are both out naked but am now sat in the office looking at the black sky feeling like a very mean mam 🤔

Myloubylou

Visit site
Might deploy the stay dry fly rug which seems happy medium. Ride after work so really needs not to be soaked through

Annagain

Visit site
Hi Anna
I believe you are the same part of the country as me! I had the same dilemma with my lot. The one is a tb and a complete wuss so he is out in a rain sheet today. My section D and Welsh pony are both out naked but am now sat in the office looking at the black sky feeling like a very mean mam 🤔

I don't feel mean, am just dreading getting two greys clean enough to go out to play on Sunday!

Antw23uk

Visit site
Sadly its too warm to put sheets on mine today as much as I'd love to keep them clean I just cant do it to them. Friday morning I will reassess. one in particular is a big girl and doesn't cope with rain and wind so might put a 0g rainsheet on him but really it just too warm still regardless of the rain!

w1bbler

Visit site
It's 13° here & everything else at the yard is rugged. Mine are out grazing in the middle of the field in horizontal rain naked.
Each to their own, I never comment on what I see as overrugging, why does everyone feel the need to try & make me feel bad for not rugging. They are natives that I've owned for years so know their requirements well.

Annagain

Visit site
I have a grey, but it is warm where I am so he is naked even though we've had some showers today. I will just have to brush him if he gets muddy ;)

Mine too for that same reason. It's due to be much colder and very wet and windy here tomorrow though so I think I can get way with it then. We're going out to play early on Sunday so it's just to make sure I'm not up bathing them at 5am! I think I might just have managed to get it right today for once, the rain has been very light so far and I'm on my way to them very shortly!

AandK

Visit site
Mine too for that same reason. It's due to be much colder and very wet and windy here tomorrow though so I think I can get way with it then. We're going out to play early on Sunday so it's just to make sure I'm not up bathing them at 5am! I think I might just have managed to get it right today for once, the rain has been very light so far and I'm on my way to them very shortly!

I got it wrong today! So warm this morning (I rode in a tshirt) so both out naked, but the showers have turned into something a bit heavier now!

Fiona

Visit site
Hubby managed to catch our TB mare on retirement livery and put her rain sheet on on his own, this makes me happy as we are forecast fairly grim weather now until Sat teatime...

He says if it goes very warm again after that he'll go up again and take it off.

The other guys are at home, so are easier to manage.

Fiona

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Sadly its too warm to put sheets on mine today as much as I'd love to keep them clean I just cant do it to them. Friday morning I will reassess. one in particular is a big girl and doesn't cope with rain and wind so might put a 0g rainsheet on him but really it just too warm still regardless of the rain!

Ours are also naked but have just run to stand under the (massive) holly bush when we had a squally shower. I agree though that it is too warm to rug, or to bring them in. We are not forecast prolonged rain though but maybe a couple of hours at a time over this evening, tomorrow and Saturday.