Rain scald in august ?

Gingerwitch

Visit site
What if it is this would cause this, or any other suggestions ? horse not been left in rugs, and when it rained last week he was in rugs just back from cleaning, but today noticed a greasy patch on back and he was a little sore to touch.
washed in diluted hibiscus scrub and some coat came out, but he is moulting in other areas.
Will do same again tomorrow unless anyone has any other suggestions. It's warm, humid and loads of fly's, out over night and in during day.

saalsk

Visit site
I've seen it many times in summer - rugs, and no rugs (fly rugs, and rain sheets ) and horses kept groomed to within an inch of their lives, and those more turned away - seems to be more to do with hair loss due to coat change, as well as temp/rain/scurf on coat. I've seen papers talking about skin pores being more open ( temp, humid, coat loss ) and links to bacteria being more able to survive on skin in certain conditions, as much as the more classic out-in-rain-all-the-time type scenario. My arab lad gets patches on the front of his cannons as soon as he starts shedding his coat - which he is already doing, even though it is August !

Gingerwitch

Visit site
I've seen it many times in summer - rugs, and no rugs (fly rugs, and rain sheets ) and horses kept groomed to within an inch of their lives, and those more turned away - seems to be more to do with hair loss due to coat change, as well as temp/rain/scurf on coat. I've seen papers talking about skin pores being more open ( temp, humid, coat loss ) and links to bacteria being more able to survive on skin in certain conditions, as much as the more classic out-in-rain-all-the-time type scenario. My arab lad gets patches on the front of his cannons as soon as he starts shedding his coat - which he is already doing, even though it is August !
Hi saalsk, thanks for that. Feel a bit of of a bad owner though ! But the other 3 are fine and kept the same.
Is it better to leave to the air or cream,?

HashRouge

Visit site
What if it is this would cause this, or any other suggestions ? horse not been left in rugs, and when it rained last week he was in rugs just back from cleaning, but today noticed a greasy patch on back and he was a little sore to touch.
washed in diluted hibiscus scrub and some coat came out, but he is moulting in other areas.
Will do same again tomorrow unless anyone has any other suggestions. It's warm, humid and loads of fly's, out over night and in during day.
It was still quite warm when it rained (or it was here anyway) - could he perhaps have got a bit too warm?

Malaseb is really good as LL says, but tbh I've had good results with hibisrcub and just keeping the area dry and not allowing it to overheat. My old girl got some on her neck two winters ago and I just used dilute hibiscrub.

holeymoley

Visit site
Demoline medicated shampoo is great stuff for it and only costs about £7/8. Mine got it once while I was away for the week. He had a rainsheet on the day I left as it was chucking it down and they never took it off him for the next few days when it was sunny ? the rain was so bad it went through the rug so basically wet + warm conditions.

saalsk

Visit site
Not a bad owner at all - it happens and can appear in hours if the conditions are right. I have a dozen sheep as well as the 2 horses, and right now I am paranoid about fly strike on the sheep. Welsh pony is loosing his summer coat in handfulls right now, so between the various animals, and the various fly sprays and checks, I permanently smell of a mix of chemicals and vinegar/citronella.lavender and dettol. It is not an attractive thing !

(edit to add I use hibiscrub to wash the area, but don't tend to put on any creams unless the skin is red or looking sore, as opposed to just being tender to touch. If it is red/sore, I use a zinc oxide based one, rather than one with too much vaseline/oil/grease. )

Gingerwitch

Visit site
Not a bad owner at all - it happens and can appear in hours if the conditions are right. I have a dozen sheep as well as the 2 horses, and right now I am paranoid about fly strike on the sheep. Welsh pony is loosing his summer coat in handfulls right now, so between the various animals, and the various fly sprays and checks, I permanently smell of a mix of chemicals and vinegar/citronella.lavender and dettol. It is not an attractive thing !

(edit to add I use hibiscrub to wash the area, but don't tend to put on any creams unless the skin is red or looking sore, as opposed to just being tender to touch. If it is red/sore, I use a zinc oxide based one, rather than one with too much vaseline/oil/grease. )

Thanks saalsk, I have washed his back off again today with warm diluted hibi scrub and he was loving the washing, not so keen on the colder water rinse... i may be over cautious but do not like leaving his back exposed to the sun with a chemical on it, will do another wash and dry tomorrow morning and see what it looks like then.