Rain scald prevention advice

LOZHUG

Visit site
I am trying to prepare for winter.

Last year I rehomed 3 Shetlands one of which was very very timid and nervous but we are getting there. Now I hope this winter is better than last year the summer has been so I have hope of avoiding rain scald this winter but. You never know.

The oldest mare the very timid one ended up with rain scald last winter so problems I have 1. Can't get a rug near her 2. Fluffy mammoth +++++ 3. They have shelter but don't seem to use it.

Now sorry if I am being thick thinking this but I know these are used formed fever which is similar......

Would it be a good idea to start putting something like udder cream/pig oil stuff/Vaseline/goose fat just along the top of her back to protect and waterproof the area before it starts?

Any advice or experiences appreciated as had to get vet out and she was treated with antibiotics so hoping prevention may help us and don't want her to have it again as it can't be very comfortable for her x

Thanks in advance :)

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Hmmmmm ideally you would clip her, bath regularly with hexocil and pevidene shampoo and rug her. Its a bacterial infection and you need to keep it from happening for three years in my experience to get rid of it.

Is she really so bad that you can't get her over the nervousness, Shetlands I've had seem to get over things quite quickly if they have no option...

sonjafoers

Visit site
One of my horses suffers terribly, just getting caught in a summer shower can have her off work for weeks. However I've found that if I keep her back really clean she can get caught in a shower without too many problems, in my completely novice opinion it's not actually a case of forming a barrier it's more a case of not allowing the bacteria to take hold.

Can you gradually get her used to being shampooed? I've always used Fungatrol to prevent it but have recently found aqueous shampoo which doesn't have to be kept on for any length of time. It's anti bacterial, anti fungal etc etc so it works as prevention but if she does get a bout you will need something like malaseb.

Can you also get her used to being rugged? A rainsheet is a good idea so she doesn't sweat under it which is the last thing you need. I think you really have to persevere and get her used to these things before winter.

Good luck, it's really a horrible thing to have to deal with.

LOZHUG

Visit site
I have had her almost a year and she it's taken a lot of work and patience to get her to let me walk up to her and put a head collar on her. Clipping would be a no no, she is petrified of the head collar and lead rope so don't think I will get a rug anywhere near her to be honest. She is about 14 years old and not had much done with her - don't know any history as owner passed away. Oh and hosepipe is a no no as it will eat her! Had one hell of a battle trying to wash her with bucket and sponge she would shoot all over the place and get so stressed with just the sound of the sponge coming out of the bucket although tried to do as slowly and quietly as possible and she won't tie up!!!! Ahhhhhhhh one the other two is jumpy but this one is beyond bless her :( and the other is fine dope on a rope! It's just typical it's her.

It's a job to keep the area as clean as I would like as she gets so so hairy :(

be positive

Visit site
I have had the odd rain scald in the past but never had a problem with it re occurring, if she is now healthier in general it may not be an issue as they are better equipped to fight off any infection and can build up a good quality waterproof coat.
Feeding her a good supplement with some oil or linseed will help, maybe shut them in the shelter if the rain is really persistent so they can dry off completely may be the easiest way, then you can keep an eye on her and get her more used to being handled for the future.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
It's not really anything to do with rain. Once its in them they keep getting it and the way to prevent it is keeping the area scrupulously clean.

You could sedate her and clip her in a few weeks so she wouldn't be horrendously hairy and nor would she be naked.

Personally I'd have her shut in a stable and work with her to get her over the issues.

My friend took on a 13 yr old Shetland stallion who had never left his field or been handled in his life and in one week of intensive training they are about to back him! They kept him in a small area initially so they could work with him tho.

Miss L Toe

Visit site
I am a great believer in micronised linseed, it helps joints, hooves and skin, and condition, 50gms for a horse, translates as 15-20gm for a shetland I would think. I tend to go with the "making friends" by stabling with a friend or two, keep to a quiet routine, and just talk to them . One day you may need to handle [vet or injury] so really it is essential. It took me six weeks to get my foal to come to me, but once she realised we could do fun things together, she became really friendly.

maccachic

Visit site
A balanced diet is the key it will clear it up and prevent it from occuring. My new mare had rain scald when I got her and I didn't touch it I left her naked as it occured in summer and gave her a good supplement and it has gone and not come back, she was mostly naked over winter as well - we are comming into spring here.