Rain scald?????

SVMel

Visit site
:confused:Hi all. Have posted this in vet, but thought I'd pop it here too!

Quick question, can you still get rain scald if the skin has not been subjected to wet conditions? My mare reacts to some fly bites with yellow puss crusted scabs, which I pick off, hibi scrub and stick cream on. Usually solved within a couple of days. However, she suffered a large patch of the same last year, which I put down to one fly bite bleeding a bit and attracting the others in for a party. Used same treatment and cleared it up quick smart.

Today, I find the same again, so first time for a long time, but about 4 patches, with the largest on her loins very painful. I wasn't able to hibiscrub it all off, so I did my best til she'd had enough, covered it in aqueous cream to soften it up and will do a bit more tomorrow. Have bought som sudocream for after. She hasn't got wet in a long time, just a bit mildly damp once when we had a short drizzle shower. We've had no other rain for weeks, so she hasn't worn a rug for weeks, was last clipped in November and has her summer coat.

So is it just fly bites or rain scald? Or did she start rain scald because a fly bite let the infection take hold?

Answers hugely appreciated, and am I following the right course of treatment?

Hot choccy for all!!!!!!

SVMel

Visit site
I don't think so, she's a palomino, and only suffers with that on her pink nose, and doesn't even have it there yet!! Also, it has occured on her side, low down enough not to be prominantly (sp) in the sun, although of course, her loins are!!
Good idea though, but I feel its probably unlikely.

T xxxxxxx :)