rain scald....

L&M

Visit site
One of my cobs is in the process of being roughed off and turned away for the winter (out 24/7). In an ideal world i would like him to go unrugged, especially as he grows a coat like a yak.

However when we bought him many moons ago, he came to us in early winter, having also been left unrugged and with yak like coat, but had got rain scald. This wasn't too much of an issue as it was treated, then he was clipped and rugged prior to being put back into work.

If you were in my boots, would you still risk the no rug route, and hope that the previous rain scald was a one off, or lightly rug to prevent a reoccurrence?

Sorry if I have annoyed anyone as know 'rugging' can be a contentious issue on here......!

L&M

Visit site
Well I appreciate it is bacterial, but surely in wet conditions such as last winter, his skin is likely to be compromised, making him more susceptible to infection, hence the question.

Well I suppose there is only one way to find out.....!

Last edited:

SO1

Visit site
Depends on the weather if there is a lot of rain I would put a LW turnout on.

My pony got rain scald a couple of years ago when it was very wet and he has a thick coat so now he has a LW turnout on if there is a lot of rain forecast and it is wet and warm and that seems to have done the trick as he has not had it since. The rain scald comes from bacteria in mud and likes wet warm conditions so they can get it if rugged if they get sweaty enough to very damp, my vet said there also has to be cut for the bacteria to get in as well.

He does get clipped just a chaser or bib and belly clip which help prevent him from getting too hot and sweaty.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
It really does depend on how well his skin and coat condition is for me. If he has a good skin which is supple and shining with health (not because you've sprayed something on him!) then he should be able to manage particularly if he grows a thick coat which the weather can't get through. If his coat is dry and starey then he's not well enough in himself to shrug off any bad weather and will easily succumb. On the other hand, if he's rugged and gets too hot that will start it off anyway. Also do you have lots of trees in your field that they shelter under as there is a link between the acid that runs off the leaves which can jumpstart infection particularly if the horse is not in good condition?
I'd personally get cracking on his skin condition now by feeding something like brewers yeast and/or micronised linseed and leaving rugging to see how it goes. Never be tempted to put a rug on a wet horse (unless it's something like a Thermatex) you must dry them off thoroughly first.

L&M

Visit site
Thanks Maesfen - he is on brewers yeast and has been all summer. He had his shoes off 3 weeks ago and haven't groomed him since to build up the grease in his coat.

We only have natural shelter via trees and hedges, and interesting what you say about tree cover, so something to watch.

L&M

Visit site
Thanks Maesfen - he is on brewers yeast and has been all summer. He had his shoes off 3 weeks ago and haven't groomed him since to build up the grease in his coat, and is in good health.

We only have natural shelter via trees and hedges, and interesting what you say about tree cover, so something to watch.