Rainscald???

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
he's not rugged is he, kim??

leave him naked as often as poss...air circulation and all that....

[/ QUOTE ]He hasn't been rugged since winter but I did put a rug on lastnight as the weather was rotten... it chucks it down all night
frown.gif
it's literally a rainsheet... but won't be putting it on... might bring him in at night don't want him getting wet, but equally don't want to rug him now either
confused.gif

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I've just posted pictures of my shettie in pictures gallery that has sweet itch on his bum, but it does also look a little like rainscald, the vet said it is sweet itch but could be a bit of both. I have been using Camrosa and it is working really well, it's lifeted all the scabs and the clean skin is now showing, i'm on day 8 of using it a the moment and going to keep it up it's well worth the money.

[/ QUOTE ]Ohh will go and have a look at your piccys...

I was going to ask if anyone had used Camrosa and what the outcome was!!

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
yes, best to keep him out of the rain...til he shows some sign of improvement...

[/ QUOTE ]Yep - thankies guys
smile.gif

Poor ol' ponio - if it's not one thing it's another
frown.gif

S_N

Visit site
You and your poor ponio!! HUGE huggles to you and Jags
4.gif

I admit to not reading the whole post and no doubt you have been given some wonderful advice on how to get rid of it all.Wwhen it's gone, Aloe Vera would help the skin recover and the hair growth would be assisted with a mixture of Aloe and Cornucresine. For his immune system Aloe might help and Echinacea would DEFINITELY help!!

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
You and your poor ponio!! HUGE huggles to you and Jags
4.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Thankies hunni... I shall pass that on to Jaggles
smile.gif

<span style="color:blue">Happy Birthday to you though Chick from me and Jggles
smile.gif
</span>

[ QUOTE ]
I admit to not reading the whole post and no doubt you have been given some wonderful advice on how to get rid of it all.Wwhen it's gone, Aloe Vera would help the skin recover and the hair growth would be assisted with a mixture of Aloe and Cornucresine. For his immune system Aloe might help and Echinacea would DEFINITELY help!!

[/ QUOTE ]Thanks hun... have just been to the tack shop... have purchased...

Some IronXcell... which apparently is better than RedCell, some Hibiscrib, some Anti-Itch Salve that contains loas of oils and Benzol Benzolate (sp?) and pure Aloe Gel too, oh and some new sponge and a towel... a grand total of £83!! OUCH!!
frown.gif

Tia

Visit site
Sorry to hear this KJJ. Best thing I have found to deal effectively and quickly with rain scald is a product called MTG by Shapleys. You would have to order it from over here though as I don't think it is available in the UK.

Alternatively, wash with dilute Hibiscrub, rinse of well and then apply Protocon onto scabs. After 5 or 10 mins you should be able to gently rub off the scabs. Incidentally air kills off the bacteria involved and if you comb the hair backwards to allow the air to circulate then it will start to die.

Good luck - one day you will have a healthy horse!!
smile.gif

Ginn

Visit site
Mickey had something similar a while back - he got a reaction to something which went all fluidy and then the hair fell out and it went all scabby a few weeks later.

IMG_5791.jpg

We hibiscrubbed it daily and applied E45 moisturier at night when he was brought in and camrosa in the morning before he was turned out - it started to look better within a week or so and was all healed over within a month

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry to hear this KJJ. Best thing I have found to deal effectively and quickly with rain scald is a product called MTG by Shapleys. You would have to order it from over here though as I don't think it is available in the UK.

[/ QUOTE ]Ahhh will keep that in mind.. thanks Tia... will see how the 'gunk' I have been advised to get and have purchased works!!
[ QUOTE ]
Alternatively, wash with dilute Hibiscrub, rinse of well and then apply Protocon onto scabs. After 5 or 10 mins you should be able to gently rub off the scabs. Incidentally air kills off the bacteria involved and if you comb the hair backwards to allow the air to circulate then it will start to die.

[/ QUOTE ]Thankies.... will certainly brush his hair the 'wrong way' befoer he goes to bed!! LOL!!
[ QUOTE ]
Good luck - one day you will have a healthy horse!!
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]I do hope so!!!
crazy.gif

KJJ

Visit site
Hey Chick... thank you...

Will take a picture of Jaggles coat tonight to show you all...

Will be bringing him in and keeping him in at night now.... weater is so unpredictable right now!!!

SpruceRI

Visit site
My mare gets gooey sticky lumps all year round, mostly on her neck and shoulders. I wash them with diluted Hibiscrub and dry with a clean towel. Then rub Nappy Rash Cream (Sudacrem) in and pick at the lumps with my fingers if they're not too big, this soon clears it up. Obviously if your horses' lumps are more sensitive and bigger then you can't do the 'picking bit'

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
The conditions damp humid are perfect rainscald weather I'm afraid, plus his immune system will already be low making him susceptible to infections.
I would ensure he is having a good all round multi vit supplemet, Equine America do a liquid one I think which boosts the general system very quickly in our experience.
The only way to get the scabs off is to soften them, and I am going to suggest something unconventional. When two of our liveries had rainscald this winter I couldn't remove their rugs, so every other day I plastered the areas with net tex mud rash stuff (I think it was red or pink and smelled very strongly) then put the rugs back on..(this time of year a very thin rug obviously) After a week the scabs had almost all come off onto the rug by the movement against the skin and the areas were starting to grow new hair. They were no longer sore either.
If you put anything on without a rug it will just rub off on the grass, obviously you need to disinfect the rug afterwards or wash it well.
Most horses once they have overcome the rain rash bug can repell it the next time they meet it, so in a way this is a favour..
If the back looks infected you do need anti biotics too, so decide on that .

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Liquid paraffin will losen the scabs. Sure you can get this from the chemist.

[/ QUOTE ]Thank.. am using warm hibiscrub wash and it's doing the job ta. xx

KJJ

Visit site
Thanks HH, all seems to be going well at the moment.... I kept him in wednesday night, hibiscrubed the areas, dried and plastered him in Aloe Gel, then put him out yesterday morning... plastering him in ANti Itch Salve Complete... which is a water repellent cream which has oils/antibac/soothing stuff in it... then as it was meant to be dry lastnight I left him out ... I hibiscrubed the areas again, dried and applied Aloe and left him out.. however I MAY leave him out again tonight and as you suggest put a rug on... purely because - It's FREEZING and the Gel was clearly rubbed off on the grass...

It's his rump which is the worst effected area... but it's certainly not sore or 'angry' anymore... which is a good thing.. and when the scabs are coming off they are leaving just skin rather than a wound
smile.gif

Thanks for the advice. x

Honeyb060674

Visit site
O thatgreat, glad to hear you're getting ontop of it!! Bet he's alot happier to? Just keep up the hard work until its TOTALLY clear otherwise the buggers will come back. Hair will grow back slowly over time...Honey still has a patchy bit on her back from earlier this year (HEY whats a few more baldy bits between friends!!)
grin.gif

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
O thatgreat, glad to hear you're getting ontop of it!! Bet he's alot happier to? Just keep up the hard work until its TOTALLY clear otherwise the buggers will come back. Hair will grow back slowly over time...Honey still has a patchy bit on her back from earlier this year (HEY whats a few more baldy bits between friends!!)
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]LOL - Baldy bits!!!

Thanks hun... will def keep it up til EVERY last scab/patch has gone!!!

smile.gif

nicknack

Visit site
Hi Hun,

Sounds like you're getting on top of this now.

We used D-Itch by NAF on the old boy earlier this summer. His legs were absolutely dreadful but the D-Itch relieved it pretty quickly. I think you have to be careful about using it in strong sunlight though in case you fry the poor horse (lots of oil in it).

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Hi Hun,

Sounds like you're getting on top of this now.

[/ QUOTE ]I hope so... it's looking good now!!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
We used D-Itch by NAF on the old boy earlier this summer. His legs were absolutely dreadful but the D-Itch relieved it pretty quickly. I think you have to be careful about using it in strong sunlight though in case you fry the poor horse (lots of oil in it).

[/ QUOTE ]OK hun ta... I was thinking that about the stuff i was using but it's not so much oily as gloopy!!
tongue.gif