Rambly rant about my horses feet and ** farriers

smiggy

Visit site
My connie has hoof seperation syndrome, genetic thing wherby lipid layer of hoof is wrong and basically hoof wall layers just start to fall apart.
Past year he has been great, kept shoes on (after a fashion) been on full loan (from my yard) and out winning all sorts.
Few months ago back feet started getting bad to the point of not being able to shoe, managed in usual fashion with equicasts and shoes on top (has to have something on 24/7 or not field sound), happy as larry went off and won a le trec competion.
Then my farrier spoke to loaner about a friend of his who has "invented" some new plastic glue on shoes, was looking for horses to try them on and sounded really interesting. After a struggle loaner managed to pin guy down and get some info, all sounded good (though guy very vague). 3 weeks ago front shoe came off and chunk of wall (left), horse sore, farrier out, trimmed up ready to use a cast and shoe but disaster struck-only cast he had had gone off in the heat and was no good, and it was friday night. So buted up sore horse over weekend and it was decided now might be a good time to try plastic shoes.
inventor farrier met my farrier at yard on the monday, showed him how to put them on etc. I was concerned re the amount of glue used and the fact that there was glue between the sole and shoe, uneven blobs putting pressure on the already sore sole. inv farrier said no fine. I was worried as after shoes on, horse still lame. Normally whatever you put on gives instant relief, but thought maybe due to fact that had bee without anything all weekend. So more bute for a week, then seemed okish in the field (not right). plastic then started wearing off from shoe (in new state you cant see metal shoe, just plastic). at this point it was obvious that shoe was too small for the foot, siting inside hoof wall.
My farrier had a look, said thats strange, yes they are a size smaller than I would use, which is odd as had discussed size with inv farrier. But said to leave on. Also said that he was concerned at the way glue had been put on, in such a way as to trap infection? apparently other glue on shoe people are very clear about this. He had mentioned it to local vet farrier who said "he did what" filled me with confidence :mad:
week later, casts due off back feet so used glue on shoes on back. 4 days later, one missing. found in field with metal shoe completely detached from plastic. contacted inv farrier, some ramblings about wrong adhesive (though farrier used glue given by the guy). loaner drove to him collected new hind shoe.
yesterday farrier came to put on new hind shoe, when I brought pony in for him, was concerned by fact that right front looked loose (been on less than 3 weeks) and even smaller on foot. Farrier said no its fine.put back shoe back on.
Today front right has come off. hoof looks horrific, worst i have ever seen it. loss of hoof wall but its all wet, like its been rotting under the glue or something. whole hoof is hot, very tender. I cried :mad:
loaner sent pics to inventer farrier, he said looks fine, we said shut up and tell us how to get thses fecking things off now. Ah he saiod, just peel away with a hoof pick.
loaner spent 2 hours trying to get other front off, its still on :mad::mad:
am completely at a loss to be honest

TwoStroke

Visit site
What a nightmare!

No suggestions for getting the thing off, I'm afraid. Have you tried mineral balancing as a means of improving the foot quality? I've heard some very positive experiences with it for HWSS.

smiggy

Visit site
Tostroke tell me more, have never found anyone who had any success with anything with this so am intrigued. Have tried pretty much everything but working in the dark! Will give anything a go

HappyNeds

Visit site
I'm sorry I don't know anything useful that might help you, but I just wanted to say I'm sorry you're in this situation. I hope someone on the forum will be able to help you x

smiggy

Visit site
Thanks happy neds :)
am completely at a loss to be honest. poor pony has one bare foot thats really sore, cant get the others off and my farrier doesnt seem to want to come. To be fair to him I think he is at a loss.

Jools1234

Visit site
Thanks happy neds :)
am completely at a loss to be honest. poor pony has one bare foot thats really sore, cant get the others off and my farrier doesnt seem to want to come. To be fair to him I think he is at a loss.

your farrier probably feels he is being mucked about cos you want to try new inventions-my farrier would probably have said if you want to allow your horse ('that i have kept sound@) as a 'guinea pig' go ahead but get the inventor to do the work!

sounds like a nightmare hope you get things sorted

TwoStroke

Visit site
It's worth a chat with Sarah at ForagePlus imo http://shop.forageplus.com/. Nutrition is key to hoof health, and when you have genetics stacked against you it's worth fine tuning everything that's within your control.

Also perhaps bear in mind that the horse's foot has evolved to bear weight not only on the hoof wall, but also the sole and frog. If your pony had this extra support you may find an improvement in the hoof wall, as it won't be bearing the entire weight of the horse as it does with shoes.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Is it the imprint shoes? If so my boy had them and they were great but it sounds like they guy has messed up.
You need to rasp them off as the glue is strong.

smiggy

Visit site
your farrier probably feels he is being mucked about cos you want to try new inventions-my farrier would probably have said if you want to allow your horse ('that i have kept sound@) as a 'guinea pig' go ahead but get the inventor to do the work!

sounds like a nightmare hope you get things sorted

No no it was my farriers suggestion, its his friend!

Jools1234

Visit site
wow, mine would never do that he has just been on holiday and we knew my daughters mare would struggle to last till he got back (he was away 3wks) as her hoof condition is not good at the mo but he said 'only get someone else to do her if you really have to!'

Oberon

Visit site
The farrier didn't invent them - they've been around in the US for a while now.

[YOUTUBE]G_dMY5p0YXI[/YOUTUBE]

When a horse has a problem with hoof wall separation - I do wonder at the logic of making the horse bear all it's weight on the wall (which wasn't designed to work alone) via shoes?

Surely it would be better to spread the load between the wall, sole, frog and heels?

hoofshodsnow-1.jpg

baresnow.jpg

Last edited:

Jools1234

Visit site
The farrier didn't invent them - they've been around in the US for a while now.

[YOUTUBE]G_dMY5p0YXI[/YOUTUBE]

When a horse has a problem with hoof wall separation - I do wonder at the logic of making the horse bear all it's weight on the wall (which wasn't designed to work alone) via shoes?

Surely it would be better to spread the load between the wall, sole, frog and heels?

hoofshodsnow-1.jpg

baresnow.jpg

sounds sensible

smiggy

Visit site
oberon-no they dont look like that. more like the sigafoo ones.
I cant understand it to be honest, this guy supposedly invented them and is having them manufactured, talked endlessly about the process and glue selection etc. But having researched since, they look like sigafoos, so dont see how he thinks he can patent them?
All very odd

smiggy

Visit site
this is what they look like on-this one been on about ten days
thunderagain007.jpg

heres what it looked like off (front one after two weeks ish), hard to see depth of deficit from pics

thunderagain009.jpg

bit of shoe showing hoof wall stuck to it

thunderagain016.jpg

underneath

thunderagain014.jpg

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Ouch!
Is the 'inventor' a qualified farrier? If not, he is not alowed to work on horses feet. IMHO he needs reporting to the WCF :eek: and his mate (your farrier) for allowing this to happen on his recommendation!
Get vet in asap & get recco from him/her - for a good master farrier to work with your vet to get those feet back to how they used to be.

Good luck!

smiggy

Visit site
no qualified farrier, been up shoeing at olympics the last month !
not knock of imports either, he has them made