Rambo Optimo Turnout Rug Sizing

Spilletta

Visit site
I'm thinking about buying a Rambo Optimo turnout rug, but understand that Rambo rugs come up big.

I have Shires rugs in 6'3" for my TB, who is a shade under 16hh, and they fit really nicely. Do you think I should try 6' for the Rambo?

I've seen a few negative reviews of the Optima, but they seem to be from a few years ago, and I'd be interested if anyone has recently bought one, and if they are happy? The design concept makes sense to me, but that could just be good marketing! Would be especially interested to hear from anyone who's got one for a TB as it seems some makes fit certain shapes/sizes better than others - but any opinions/experiences welcome as it all helps build up a picture.

Kallibear

Visit site
I had one. My horses both take 6'6 in pretty much most makes and sometimes 6'9. One's a weedy ISH youngster, the other an elderly cob mare. I got a 6'6 Optimo second hand and it absolutely swamped them, even the big wide cob. They come up HUGE.

They are extremely deep and I found the belly piece far too big even on the shortest webbing.

They're very waterproof and I liked the shoulder darts and tail flap. The depth would keep them dry and warm even in the worst wind. Neck attaches well. I didn't use the liner so don't know how that held up. I needed to sell it cos it looked like primary school kids wearing their dad's old shirt for painting lessons!

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
My big gelding normaly takes a 6'9" .... So I got that size in the optima with two different weight under rugs, now the under rugs fitted nice, but the rug itself was too big, but he had worn it for a night, rolled in most muddy part of field! So I could not send it back for a smaller one.. Expensive mistake, it's just used as a rain sheet now for shows as it fits ok over tack. I then got another housewares rug that also went with the under rugs. So yes they do come up big, and then if they are too big they fall to one side .

Spring Feather

Visit site
I got one last year. Personally I'd never buy another. I much prefer the Rambo Originals. The Optimo was absolutely enormous! I bought a size smaller than I wanted (6'3") but it still fits none of my horses (and I own 27 horses!), not even the stonking great Holsteiner mares! So it sits in the tack room gathering dust. If you buy one, I'd go for at least 2 sizes smaller as even with the under rugs they are still way too big.

Spilletta

Visit site
I got one last year. Personally I'd never buy another. I much prefer the Rambo Originals. The Optimo was absolutely enormous! I bought a size smaller than I wanted (6'3") but it still fits none of my horses (and I own 27 horses!), not even the stonking great Holsteiner mares! So it sits in the tack room gathering dust. If you buy one, I'd go for at least 2 sizes smaller as even with the under rugs they are still way too big.

Thank you. I wonder why they do this. It's putting me off a bit as it could turn out to be an expensive mistake! I know different types of rugs vary a little, but they sound very out. I do like the idea of the 'separate' sections for front and back, though.