Rambo Sweetitch Hoodie - HELP!

appylass

Visit site
This might sound a silly question but...

I have taken over the care of a friend's elderly mare who has Sweet Itch. She came with a Hoodie and I went to put it on her today only to realise I don't know how to fasten the surcingles! From the length of the straps they 'seem' to have been fastened front to front, middle to middle, and back to back - if that makes sense? Is that right? Having been used to crossing normal 'cross' surcingles I'm just wondering if I'm meant to cross the fronts and backs?

Sorry, this sounds very confusing, I hope someone can make sense of my post
grin.gif
confused.gif

Hattikins

Visit site
nope its front to front, middle to middle, and back to back
smile.gif
or atleast thats how i have mine on my mare and its never been a problem
wink.gif

brightmount

Visit site
I cross them, back to front, front to back and middle to middle, in that order. I have a Rambo turnout as well with 3 surcingles and have always done it that way, I am certain it's correct. Anyway the rug stays on.

Spyda

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I cross them, back to front, front to back and middle to middle, in that order. I have a Rambo turnout as well with 3 surcingles and have always done it that way, I am certain it's correct. Anyway the rug stays on.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's how Horseware themselves described doing up the 3 surcingles on their rugs. I remember clearly, from when they first came out and I first got one!

I think as long as the 3 surcingles keep the belly flaps of the Hoody rug securely covering the horse's sensitive tummy area, it doesn't really matter! I personally do it the above way, but I know lots of people who also do it the other. Many ways to skin a cat and all that!
grin.gif

connie1288

Visit site
I have done them crossed over on some rambo rugs, but on the turn out ones, the front and back are angled, on the sweet itch rug the surcingles are at 90 degrees to the edge of the rug, hope that makes any sense, tbh not sure it makes any difference it wont move!!!

Haniki

Visit site
I do mine the same as brightmount and Spyda but I have always wondered if it was right! (That's on turnout rugs).

appylass

Visit site
Thank you all! It has stayed in place with front to front etc so I will stick with that for a while and see. I did look on the Horseware site but it is hard to tell from the pictures! It did look as if the surcingles are angled more on the turnouts but not on the hoodie. It also says 'three surcingles, not crossed', on the description for the hoodie so I'm guessing that's how it is meant to be.

Thanks again
smile.gif

Cyberchick

Visit site
I sell these and in theory they are meant to go straight (front to front etc). You can cross them but sometimes it bulks up a bit underneath. I found this with my Rambo Protector when someone turned out for me and crossed the straps.

appylass

Visit site
Thank you for clearing that up, I did wonder if the belly flap would scrunch up if I crossed the surcingles, that's great, thank you for replying
smile.gif

Foxford

Visit site
I thought with rambo turnouts you crossed the surcingles and with the hoody you do them straight? I'm sure I read that on their website?

brightmount

Visit site
Since I first replied on this thread to say I cross them, I've tried them the other way, and I now think you are right, that's how they are meant to be as it keeps the tummy flaps better tucked around the body.

However I don't think any horses will have died from being fastened the other way! I was just used to crossing them as I have Rambo turnouts.

appylass

Visit site
Brightmount, that was exactly why i asked, faced with three surcingles I suddenly realised that I had no idea what I should do with them! My first thought was to cross them 'as normal' but then I thought about it and wasn't sure! The belly flap seems to staying nice and flat so I'll stick with front to front etc.
smile.gif