Rambo Wugs - do they slip?

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I’m tempted to get a 50g Rambo Wug for the wonky PSSM mare.

I’ve two questions about Wugs if anyone can help me.

Do they fit in the the same size as standard Rambo originals with leg arches, or should I size up or down?

Do they slip? I’ve come across some second hand Wugs on eBay and most have some rather extensive repairs to both inner and outer 😳. This concerns me as original Rambos are incredibly tough. I don’t want to buy trouble. How on earth does the liner get so shredded?

paddy555

Visit site
most of ours are wugs. all heavier than 50g but I can't see that is relevant. I use the same size as for a normal rambo (ie not a Wug design)
they don't slip, in fact I think they may slip back less than an ordinary rug. They don't slip in any other direction either.

most of my wugs have been going for around 10 years and I have no shredding of the liner, nor do they have any repairs inner or outer. I find they are just a tough as ordinary rambos. No difference really just a different neck style.
Only disadvantage which wouldn't affect now is mine don't have provision for a neck cover in the worst of the winter. That is the only thing I could fault them on for a "cold" horse in winter.

Mine do well but I don't ever wash them or reproof them. I prefer dirty rugs (and the insides do sometimes get greasy) that remain waterproof.

wiglet

Visit site
I've got H/W wugs and I've always bought the same size as a normal Rambo - no need to size up/down.
Mine have never slipped (I've heard the Optimo slips on some horses) and I've had them years, still in super condition although my mare is not a rug trasher.
I have mine washed and proofed once a year, they remain waterproof.

Arzada

Visit site
I've had a 0g Wug for about 15 years. Our rugs are only used in very wet, or wet and windy weather so light use by a horse who is careful with his rugs!. It's undamaged inside and out. I would say that it fits slightly bigger than the Rambo 100g, also undamaged inside and out. I've wondered if that's because of the room taken by the filling.

Edited to add that the Wug has never slipped. Nor has the Rambo Original

Last edited:

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
I had a Rambo wug for many years and used it on different horses and it never slipped or ripped , I sold it to my YO and it was in perfect condition.. it’s a good rug if you don’t want their mane rubbed but it doesn’t cover much of the next if you have a mucky horse

asmp

Visit site
I have a no fill Rambo wug bought second hand from eBay and it doesn’t slip even though it only has a tail strap instead of leg straps.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I have a Rhino Wug and its probably been my most used ever rug. Mine has never slipped or been damaged. I do agree though, having been on the lookout for more they do seem to be advertised quite damaged.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I have the 50g wug and it doesn't slip at all. As other have said they are the same size as standard Rambo's.
Are you pleased with the 50g weight? I think that it's going to be very useful on cooler wet late spring/summer/early autumn days.

I'm dithering between 0g and 50g, I suspect that a 50g is going to be more useful. I've got waterproof fly rugs for her if it's warm and wet.

My finger is hovering over the buy it button 🤣. The prices for Wugs seem pretty reasonable, or at least less scary compared to the other Rambo turnouts.

paddy555

Visit site
I have a Rhino Wug and its probably been my most used ever rug. Mine has never slipped or been damaged. I do agree though, having been on the lookout for more they do seem to be advertised quite damaged.
my Rhino wug has been on my little pony all winter ie Sept - Apr every winter since 2012. (she is very old) If I was buying another rambo I would probably go for a Rhino. Just as good as the rambo and this one has certainly lasted and most of all is still waterproof with no cleaning at all.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
my Rhino wug has been on my little pony all winter ie Sept - Apr every winter since 2012. (she is very old) If I was buying another rambo I would probably go for a Rhino. Just as good as the rambo and this one has certainly lasted and most of all is still waterproof with no cleaning at all.
Also some very good deals on them new from time to time.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I'd certainly consider a Rhino Wug if they did them a 50g, but sadly they don't. There's a new 100g Rhino Wug in her size (6'9") for £109.95 on ebay, but that's just too much filling for what I want ☹️.

Cracking buy for someone, though.

EmmaC78

Visit site
Are you pleased with the 50g weight? I think that it's going to be very useful on cooler wet late spring/summer/early autumn days.

I'm dithering between 0g and 50g, I suspect that a 50g is going to be more useful. I've got waterproof fly rugs for her if it's warm and wet.

My finger is hovering over the buy it button 🤣. The prices for Wugs seem pretty reasonable, or at least less scary compared to the other Rambo turnouts.
Yes, I have both the 50g and the 0g and use the 50g more. I used it even on some of the milder winter days.

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
I'd certainly consider a Rhino Wug if they did them a 50g, but sadly they don't. There's a new 100g Rhino Wug in her size (6'9") for £109.95 on ebay, but that's just too much filling for what I want ☹️.

Cracking buy for someone, though.

I use a cotton sheet or a 50gm fill under the no fill Wug and heavier quilts when it is colder.

marmalade76

Visit site
My experience is they don't slip or rub. I think Horseware have got more skimpy with the cloth and the rugs are not as generous in size as they were originally (far more noticeable in the Amigos, they are really skimpy now!) so I definitely wouldn't go a size down.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
... because if they are in good condition, you wouldn't sell as they are so useful.

Mine did a little mane rub but I had it for a specific horse who would get a wither rub in normal rugs. The Wug's cut seemed to avoid a wither rub as it doesn't seem to 'rest' at the front of the wither in the same way.

Because of mane preservation, I only had the heavy Wug to use when it was really cold. For warmer days, and lighter rugs, I prefer a normal cut so as not to over heat the mane.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
50g 6’9” Rambo Wug ordered Sun eve from the Redpost outlet eBay store, arrived Tuesday.

Has had first and second fit checks over a Dri Rug (to keep the inner clean in case it didn’t fit).

Looking good, a generous fit, and she’s under supervised turnout still over the Dri Rug. No sign of slipping yet - she’s got a wonky pelvis so it won’t be the rug’s fault if it slips.

As a PSSM horse I need to keep her back warm, plus she had a treatment from the chiro vet yesterday and I particularly need to keep her back muscles warm after that.

Still, if it doesn’t work out there’s a good second hand market for barely used clean Rambo rugs.

IMG_1484.jpeg

IMG_1489.jpeg

IMG_1496.jpeg

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Another happy 50g Wug owner update. It's ruddy brilliant. It slips the least of all her turnouts - she has a wonky pelvis and her right hip is lower than her left hip.

She has a muscle myopathy so must be kept warm, and not allowed to get chilled.

Came in really useful again last night, which was yet again was unexpectedly wet. Slung it on instead of her fly rug at 7pm because temps were supposed to dip, the un forecast rain came all night too and she was happy as Larry this morning.

A great buy 👍.

IMG_1562.jpeg

Peglo

Visit site
I had a Rambo Wug for my TB and I loved it. It lasted years and took a good battering so I was very sad when it finally gave up.
Glad your one is doing a good job.