Random question

Denali

Visit site
A long time ago in a land far away I rode hunters in the US. Chit chatting a few weeks ago I was told that earrings are a reason for disqualification in the working hunters? I had never heard of a rule in the hunters I know nor have I ever been eliminated for them when I did show.

Can someone enlighten me please?

We were speaking about a show in the UK where this happened.

Abacus

Visit site
If you read older type etiquette books on hunting they will say that earrings are inappropriate (I went out with the pytchley once and the friend who invited me told me that it would be frowned upon). The local drag hunt here couldn’t care less. But I guess it may be a reflection of hunting tradition. And is sensible… although they do look pretty!

eggs

Visit site
30 years ago I was down at the start box of my local riding club cross country competition and was told I had to take my earrings (small sleepers) out before I could start. Wasn't easy as my mare was raring to go

Goldenstar

Visit site
Possibly as earrings can, in theory, get ripped out if they happen to get snagged on twigs etc when out hunting.
This is why , Ladies traditionally did not wear earrings to ride the first yard I worked on had a strict no earring rule .
It’s also horrible if you’re hairnet gets wrapped round them .

Denali

Visit site
Thanks for all the information! In college we couldn’t have earrings but I never paid attention to the rules outside of that. I want to say I didn’t wear earrings when I showed but it’s been so long I can’t remember.

@Goldenstar that is funny and somehow not surprising 😂