Range Rover - talk me out of it

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I got rid of a16 year old disco last year, it was costing an awful lot of money to keep on the road, the mechanic was like part of the family, I saw him that often! Of had the cdu changed, the suspension bags changed, lost park completely and it still kept giving up at the side of the road! By the time it went the dashboard looked like Blackpool illuminations!
Got a Ssangyong Rexton with 40 miles on the clock and love it!

SOS

Visit site
I too have a defender like many other posters... but range rovers are different to defenders. They don’t hold their value as well (which is useful as they are more affordable!) and aren’t as much of a work horse.

That said from my experience, close friends with range rovers, they are much more comfortable and driver friendly. They also are just as good to tow with on the roads. However like all land rovers they love their mechanic. If you have a mechanic in the family go for it, but if not I’d be cautious!

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
I was contemplating buying an old (15-20 years) freelander or disco once I pass my towing test next month (hopefully). My plan was to spend £2-3k and then run it into the ground and sell for scrap once something expensive went wrong. Will I be doing so within a few weeks or do you think for what I want from it I’d be ok? I’d only really use it 50 miles a week max.

E.T.A the original plan was to buy a 5 year old Tiguan or Jeep but now we are saving for a wedding I could do with postponing a big expenditure like that for 2-3 years, hence the plan of buying an old banger to hopefully last that time. I’d also only be towing one 400kg pony so think the tow capacity of a freelander would be ok.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I was contemplating buying an old (15-20 years) freelander or disco once I pass my towing test next month (hopefully). My plan was to spend £2-3k and then run it into the ground and sell for scrap once something expensive went wrong. Will I be doing so within a few weeks or do you think for what I want from it I’d be ok? I’d only really use it 50 miles a week max.

E.T.A the original plan was to buy a 5 year old Tiguan or Jeep but now we are saving for a wedding I could do with postponing a big expenditure like that for 2-3 years, hence the plan of buying an old banger to hopefully last that time. I’d also only be towing one 400kg pony so think the tow capacity of a freelander would be ok.

Eep do not buy an old Freelander!! Actually most of them are long dead anyway. Rule of thumb with anything from JLR is never get their first version of anything, as it's usually experimental.

I've got a Freelander 2 and I love it, but if I was going for something old and useful I'd buy Japanese every time.

DirectorFury

Visit site

I know I bang on about them endlessly but the 200tdi Discos (1989-1994, G reg to L reg) are nigh on bombproof mechanically and electrically, but they do rot. For 3k I’d expect to get one that wouldn’t need welding in the immediate future. We paid £500 for our J reg one and he went through 5 MOTs with no issue and no work needed!

They’re going up in value so when you come to sell there’s every chance you’ll get a good chunk of money back.

Please don’t buy an older Freelander ?.

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
Thanks both, that makes me feel a bit better about my preference to the disco than the freelander. OH is aghast at the thought of a 20 year old car on our drive but "luxuries" in a car don't really interest me, I'm more interested in the pulling power! Plus with working from home and the yard being 3 miles away I don't do enough driving to warrant the expense at the moment.

If anyone spots a decent Disco please feel free to send me the details! (within reasonable distance of Surrey).

Sorry OP for hijacking your thread!