Rant - anybody got a racehorse for £100

sally678

Visit site
I read with great interest the article in H&H about getting an ex-race horse for £100.

Interestingly enough, I've had my application in since last November with no joy whatsoever.

I have emailed in the last week and was told these things take time - OK, but why is the person with the lovely gray getting a second - NOT fair me thinks!!

Has anyone in the general public got a horse using this scheme?

Would they be willing to publish a list of who's got the horses and when the application forms were completed??

No, I don't think so ..... cynical lol

pelly

Visit site
I only paid £25 for the bay in my Sig. FOLLYFOOT FRED. winner 1st time out.

Sister got a £47.000 winning racer RIVER TERN for zilch

JM07

Visit site
maybe after looking at your application they thought you not suitable??
confused.gif

hellspells

Visit site
Sorry can't help re your application. But I was very impressed by the set up there. Didn't say that something like they are only ever producing 11 (or so) at a time. I'd imagine with such a small number horses being re schooled every year there must be a waiting list a mile long. Especially with said article in HH. I'm sure they will get back to you, they're really fussy about matching horses and owners so may not have anything suitable at the mo, but hope to soon.
I'm sure if it was an out right no they'd have said so, so you didn't bother contacting again. Hopefully they'll get back to you soon

H-J

www.piczo.com
I was also interested by this when I read it in the Hound but I knew it probably wouldnt be a quick process so went and looked myself - ended up with an ex-racer anyway! Not for £100 but very cheap for what his is
smile.gif

And to the person who said maybe you wasnt suitable - im sure they would have let her know when she mailed surely
confused.gif

PennywithHenry

Visit site
I know where there's an ex racer for £400 lol

I don't know, I assume they have waiting lists...do you specifically want an ex-racer or a £100 horse?

zigzag

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I only paid £25 for the bay in my Sig. FOLLYFOOT FRED. winner 1st time out.

Sister got a £47.000 winning racer RIVER TERN for zilch

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you really got River Tern?! the one that was in training with Milton? I loved that horse he was so clever, he used to be stabled next to our mare Grace (he beat her as well lol)

sally678

Visit site
thought I could give it a good home rather than being disposed of ..... have had horses for a looooong time and my current one I've had 14 years. Do complete at affiliated dressage so not completely wet behind the ears and only want to do rc, circles and happy hacking, it needs to be 16.1 - 16.3hh - any bigger and a new trailer is required!"! Husband not impressed with that idea.

PennywithHenry

Visit site
He's 16.2hh dark bay, but he's 15 rising 16, retired from racing aged 9, he was a hurdler, crap on the flat, didn't win a single thing, don't think he got placed lol but racked up £36,000 over fences. He's by Alzao, out of a french mare, can't remember her name, nor his racing name....His old owner got him for teamchasing but he was too slow(!!!) Was turned away for a couple of years, then my friend had him for RC, she's not riding now due to an accident, I've been riding him here and there for her, he can be a donkey a few days in a row, then suddenly wake up one morning with a "tonight matthew, I'm going to be...a t*at" moment! He's an angel to school, you could put a total novice on him, but can be sharp out hacking. If something genuinely spooks him he'll merely squat, if he's playing on the fact that something 'should' be spooky he'll try and turn from it, back up a few times, go sideways past it eyes on stalks. he doesn't listen at all if you back up your aids with a crop, but yell at him and he's a lamb. If he decides a certain place looks 'jolly good fun for a canter' he'll start jogging a bit, he threatens to rear but has never done it with me. I laugh at him when he does this, you just feel him 'bounce a bit. I throw the reins at him when he does his (not literally lol) and he stops dead like "Ooooh sh*t, what now" and he's a lamb again. She's asking £400 with bridle (he's snaffle mouth, cavesson noseband and no aids so to speak) 2 t/o rug and his stable rugs.

She keeps trying to flog him to me lol

Bubblegum

Visit site
My friend has had a recent experience of this place. The horse was totally unsuitable for her. The staff at the rehoming centre didnt take enough care and attention with the match IMHO. They didnt take up her references, didnt assess her style of riding and didnt come out for a home check. The horse was given to her with a promise that they would check up in 3 months time. Not good enough. Not anywhere near good enough. The horse has since been returned. I know there are better centres than this one.
mad.gif