Rant not really horse related but any dog lovers on?

blitznbobs

Visit site
sorry but I have to rant at someone...

I've just had a very odd experience and need someone's point of view on it.

I went for a run this evening and as my Mum has not been very well over the last few days (nothing serious) and hasn't been able to walk her border collie, I said I'd take him with me (this is a 5 y o healthy dog).

Anyhow from my Mum's the route I took was about 7.5 K which I was taking at a jog (planning to get round in about an hour so nothing quick). About 2/3 of the way round an old man walking a Yorkshire terrier literally grabbed my arm and stopped me. And then proceeded to rant at me about making my 'poor dog' run with me and that I was a cruel woman for making this poor abused animal go running with me. In the end I had to yank my arm out of his grasp and run to mums a bit quicker than I'd planned...

I personally think it is good for a dog such as him to do a bit of more strenuous exercise and he never seems tired when we've finished but I certainly don't want to do him any harm and whilst I am of the belief that this guy is a nutter and had no right to grab me like he did, I certainly don't want to do mum's dog any harm...

Any thoughts?

Copperpot

Visit site
My dobie used to regularly do 8 miles x country runs with me. Did her no harm. At 8 years old she looks and acts like a younger dog. I'd have told him to mind his own! If perhaps you had been running with a less suitable breed he may have a point but still it's not his place to confront you.

hnmisty

Visit site
I know a bloke who does 40+ mile ultras with his husky x, they get to the end and he's knackered and the dog thinks they've done the warm up and the real exercise is to come!

Night nkt

Charlie007

Visit site
I am slightly on the fence on this one!! I think when your running with a dog its easier to tell if it's tired. I hate to see people cycling with their dogs tho. I suppose if the dog is fit and is used to that amount of exercise then I wouldn't have thought it would be too much of a problem.

FlaxenPony05

Visit site
Definitely just a nutter, and it really wasn't okay for him to grab you like that, especially as you were running.

Urgh, what a creep.

Suffolkangel

Visit site
Up until last year my little dog (pic in sig) used to come out with the ponies, he's 13 now and still behaves and looks like a puppy... I don't take him anymore as he gets a good run around the fields and he's happy to sit in the car as I'm now taking youngsters out more then my sensible girl...

ridefast

Visit site
Providing this border collie isn't morbidly obese and spends its life in a cage, I think you're probably fine and the old man is jealous of your young athletic body

touchstone

Visit site
I'd think that plenty of exercise can only be beneficial, with the proviso that the dog should be built up to doing distances at speed, just the same as a horse or person. :)

hnmisty

Visit site
Tried to edit my reply but my phone was going crazy.

Was trying to say basically the same thing as touchstone has said. It probably wouldn't be the best for a juvenile that is still developing, but as an adult dog it certainly won't have harmed him! You'd know if he was knackered because you'd be dragging him along.

Totally not on for that bloke to have grabbed you like that.

Apercrumbie

Visit site
Sounds ideal for a collie tbh, most pet collies I know don't get nearly enough exercise for such an intelligent breed and have behaviour problems as a result. Ignore the silly man, how horrible of him to grab you.

blitznbobs

Visit site
Should 've mentioned this is mums agility dog so he's not obese and very active - he looked fresh when we'd finished I was pretty much on my knees...

x-di-x

Visit site
Collies are working dogs running around for hours and hours, if the dog enjoys the run then why not.

The man however HAS committed a criminal offence! By grabbing your arm, he has committed assault! I personally, would be inclined to contact the local officers to have a word with him and warn him off. No one has the right to grab you. You are younger than he is, female and on your own what he did was just wrong.

Ok I know I may sound paranoid, and may be reading too much into his actions however, society is not what it used to be and my job has taught me to be paranoid!

Nicnac

Visit site
Collies are working dogs running around for hours and hours, if the dog enjoys the run then why not.

The man however HAS committed a criminal offence! By grabbing your arm, he has committed assault! I personally, would be inclined to contact the local officers to have a word with him and warn him off. No one has the right to grab you. You are younger than he is, female and on your own what he did was just wrong.

Ok I know I may sound paranoid, and may be reading too much into his actions however, society is not what it used to be and my job has taught me to be paranoid!

Blimmin' heck - what's your job? Society is very much as it used to be; we just know more now through the media.

OP - wouldn't worry about your dog.

chorro

Visit site
Border collies are working dogs, they are like the duracell bunny they just go on and on. Generally they don't get nearly enough exercise.
My miniature poodle could do that jog with you so don't worry about it.

babymare

Visit site
pmsl at OP. our pups learnt from early age running shoes WERE FUN! Bouncy bouncy come on dad we want to go lol. And walks across moors were2 pups and 2 cats lol miles we walked with pups and cats :)

irishdraft

Visit site
my 2 border collies come out to the beach with me and give my mare a fair run when Im having a fairly fast canter for 2/3rds mile and still have energy left over, im sure your mums BC loved it

Sunshine

Visit site
We have border collies and I definitely don't consider a 7k run too much for this breed. In fact it is more cruel to keep them cooped up in the house and walked 200m round the block twice a day like some dogs get. Our dog goes everywhere with us and likes nothing better than spending the whole day running round each of the paddocks checking out the horses.

Just think how much running at top speed a working sheepdog will do out on the fells each day.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Agree with everyone else, running that distance for a fit agility collie probably didn't even cause him to be out of breath. As long as a dog is over 12 months and you build up gradually its good exercise. If I am feeling energetic I sometime go jogging with my GSD and if someone grabbed my arm she would probably grab them back although she is normally very friendly. :)

cronkmooar

Visit site
Not really qualified to comment on personal experience as I have only ever had St Bernards, who don't need as much exercise as people would think!

However, I do know a couple of farmers and for a fit healthy border collie 7.5k is nothing more than a quick leg stretch!

mynutmeg

Visit site
My collie used to come on hacks with me - getting on for an hour long or more including a fair amount of trot work and the dogs did miles more than we did on the horses. Never caused a problem and by far better to have a decent amount of exercise for collies.

When I was at uni she'd come out on the hills all day with me and be on the go non-stop - an hours run will be nothing to a fit and healthy collie dog.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
I spent last weekend tying dogs to wheeled vehicles and forcing them to run and pull humans at speed for several miles at a time, I wonder what this chap would make of that. :p

blitznbobs

Visit site
Agree with everyone else, running that distance for a fit agility collie probably didn't even cause him to be out of breath. As long as a dog is over 12 months and you build up gradually its good exercise. If I am feeling energetic I sometime go jogging with my GSD and if someone grabbed my arm she would probably grab them back although she is normally very friendly. :)

My last dog was a gsd and I did think at the time that if it had been Boz he wouldn't have been on his feet very long (I say Boz was my gsd but really I was his human)...

Thanx for the replies...

B xx

Ps just spoken to Mum and The dog has just gone off with Dad for another walk ... Obviously I knackered him out ;)

mperson01

Visit site
That wouldn't tire out my Pomeranian. She'd do that twice over any day of the week. This is a dog that stands at less than 2hh.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Until their great escape, my youngsters would gallop round the woods at top speed for up to an hour. I have no idea how much ground they covered, but it was lots! I don't think 7.5k is much, tbh.

We did a 16 mile walk in the Lakes and took one dog who ran like a loony the whole way, he must have done miles and miles more than us, he was galloping round the whole time and ready for more the next day.

Bloke shouldn't have grabbed you, that's common assault! :eek3:

xTrooperx

Visit site
When I was younger and rode miles daily (4-5hrs) I took my dog collies x springer and he was fine infact I think it was this daily exercise that made it easier for him when he lost a leg due to better fitness.
Deff nothing wrong taking your mums dog out with you.

bearTessy

Visit site
Far better than being cooped up in a cage all day have seen the effects that had on one Collie who became neurotic and would jump and try to grab invisible things, never stopped pacing. I must be really cruel then for taking our German Pointer out with me on the bike, she happily runs beside and that's a good 1.5 miles at a constant jog.