RANT People hacking in the dark!

legaldancer

Visit site
I don't normally do this but I have just got in after driving past two people hacking dark bay (I think) TBs in a country road approaching a neighbouring village without a stitch of hi - viz between them!

I'm a shy person, but wound the window down as they passed & told them I couldn't see them. They may not have heard as they were trotting, presumably to get home fast.

For goodness sake! Hacking at quarter to seven with no refective gear - not fair to put the horses & public at risk!

babymare

Visit site
I agree totally - summer/winter,dark/light, bright /dull hi vis should always be worn it gives you that extra moment of driver seeing you - ok its not trendy but your life and your horses life is worth more than fashion. and lights come on loads out there for dull winter days When will people sit up and think and realise for sake of a few pound you could actually save both yours and your horses life - I see people esp youngsters hacking out with no hi viz and I cringe - its not rocket science really is it - mmmmmmm how can we make it trendy to wear hi viz? so im with you on this :)

Pedantic

Visit site
I cant' get my head round this behaviour either, Enshrine of Tools.

I hacked yesterday, and even though I went out about 3.30pm for an expected 1.5 hours, which turned into nearly 2, I went prepared, his headlight is fitted, it has brand new batteries in it, I clipped my flashy light into the back of my half chaps, I had my tabbard on, he has his reflective martingale and viz leg tabs on, "just in case" I ended up in the dark, which I will at some point.

Lucinda_x

Visit site
We saw four teenagers out riding in the dark last week - no hi-vis either! Just cannot understand why they dont put hi-vis on if going out late as even if it isnt dark the light at dusk can be horrible to see a horse in!

legaldancer

Visit site
I'm still flabergasted to be honest, & I know not everyone wants to wear hi-viz for hacking (I do - would rather be alive looking uncool than dead which is far more uncool),but at that time of night it's idiotic not to do so. The reflective strips would have shown up in my headlights. If they had been riding a bike it would have been an offence not to have had a light.

I know this has been done to death, but I was so shocked to see it locally. It wasn't getting dark, it was actually dark already.

babymare

Visit site
oh pedantic just spat wine over laptop @ " his headlight is fitted" lol im still giggling - please not that at he has a "headlight"(good on you girl) but just so made me laugh reading it lol ok ok ok im having coughing fit now lol :)

Pedantic

Visit site
oh pedantic just spat wine over laptop @ " his headlight is fitted" lol im still giggling - please not that at he has a "headlight"(good on you girl) but just so made me laugh reading it lol ok ok ok im having coughing fit now lol :)

WTF, "girl", I'm a bloke :D, you obviously have missed previous night riding debates.........
SAM_0038.jpg

legaldancer

Visit site
I can deffo see you & I note there are street lights too. This was on an unlit road.

By the way Pedantic, I thought you were a bloke. You sound like one on your vids, despite people referring to you as a she on those threads.