RANT! (Rugs)

Blizzard

Visit site
Why do they do it?!

Why do manufacturers make rugs in big sizes, my boys are a 7ft in rugs, but then why dont they adjust the depth and width accordingly too!

Grr, Ive had so many 7ft rugs that mustnt be any deeper than a 6ft! Does it not make sense that if the horse is longer its going to be bigger everywhere?!

The only rugs I can find that are deep enough are Masta, even Rambos and Rhinos come up a bit short.

I put one of Beau's stable rugs that came with him on the other night as an extra layer, Weatherbeeta, he looked bloody ridiculous
blush.gif
mad.gif
: and it was still too tight!

DSC03282.jpg

And he isnt even a broad horse!
frown.gif

It did fit him when we first got him, but was 100kg underweight!

Excuse his expression, he was wanting me to scratch his backside!
wink.gif

pnap

Visit site
He is bl**dy massive though to be fair
grin.gif
I do know what you mean though - it would make sense that if the horse is longer then there's a good chance he'll be deeper too

jacks_mum

Visit site
Have you tried Rhinegold? I find they are deeper. I use a 3'9" rhinegold on my mini shet who is 'round' shall we say. I find all other makes of rug although long enough - short enough lol - are not deep enough but the rhinegold are a good fit ecept the neck line which i put a dart in on each side.

sorry rambling there.

Bettyboo1976

Visit site
i can sympathise with you, my small 16h takes a 6'9 rug, so i have the opposite trouble, all the leg straps are way too long, and the chest is way to big.. hmm..

Can i suggest an queen size duvet cover???

On a different note.. WOW beau is mahooosive but ever so lovelly.. (still planning to steal him!!) ooh and we deffo need some more pics of lance up..

Blizzard

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Have you tried Rhinegold? I find they are deeper. I use a 3'9" rhinegold on my mini shet who is 'round' shall we say. I find all other makes of rug although long enough - short enough lol - are not deep enough but the rhinegold are a good fit ecept the neck line which i put a dart in on each side.

sorry rambling there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Beau's Rhinegold
blush.gif
:

DSC08562.jpg

Yes that is his belly you can see at the bottom of the rug!
frown.gif

tabithakat64

Visit site
Shires Typhoon, Mark Tood and Premier Equine rugs are quite deep even on Fudge who is very 'deep' himself
laugh.gif
The cheaper Weatherbeeta rugs are like micro mini's on him but my Orican fits him really well.

zoesophie

Visit site
Ah bless - he likes skirts obviously
wink.gif
I have the same problem and have resorted to the chest extenders although the weatherbeeta stable rugs I have are pretty good. Cant think of the propper name of them - gross colours but they fit well.

I also got him 2 7ft3 premiere equine turnouts which are actually a bit long
blush.gif
but are nice and deep (you can see him in them in my video in the PG) I think you should invest
wink.gif

Oh how is he BTW?

Blizzard

Visit site
I need another rug likea hole in the head, but i wil look anyway!

He is loads better thanks Zoe, starting walking to build up mucle, however I do not have a saddle to fit him, he has totally outgrown his, I tried Lance's GP on him, but even with a 58" girth it wont reach around him because he is so big! and he is skinny if anything!
blush.gif

zoesophie

Visit site
hehe - I have way too many rugs too but as he grew/filled out I sold his original ones and got better ones (well thats my excuse to fuel my rug habbit
smirk.gif
)

Glad hes doing better though. What will you do about a saddle/girth? Have one made to measure??
crazy.gif
Ive no idea wot girth size Osc is Ill look tonight and if its massive you can borrow it to tide you over coz I wont need it for ages
smirk.gif

Blizzard

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
hehe - I have way too many rugs too but as he grew/filled out I sold his original ones and got better ones (well thats my excuse to fuel my rug habbit
smirk.gif
)

Glad hes doing better though. What will you do about a saddle/girth? Have one made to measure??
crazy.gif
Ive no idea wot girth size Osc is Ill look tonight and if its massive you can borrow it to tide you over coz I wont need it for ages
smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I have just put a post in stable yard, hopefully someone can reommend some brands which may suit his shape.
smile.gif

Ooh thank you that would be very handy because I dont really fancy taking him over the fields bareback!
blush.gif

ironhorse

Visit site
I had a HUGE irish cob (16.2 and cob proportions!) and the Rambo excel turnout fitted him a treat.

The only stable rug that ever fitted him was a Shires typhoon - their fleeces are good too, with generous darts for big shoulders.

Both rugs are very tough as well, and resisted his efforts to kill them when he got too hot! Sadly he's no longer with us, but has bequeathed them to any other big thugs we get in the yard!

moodymare1987

Visit site
I have a GFS on ben which fits him perfect, I do have the same problem though having a big beastie myself
laugh.gif

I have a turnout rug that looks the same as beaus haha.
My weatherbeeta ones are fab on ben fit really nice and a little on the long side which I prefer makes a change from all his miniskirts
tongue.gif

L

lilym

i have a problem with rugs too......why the f&&k are the "top brand" rugs such as FAL & rambo, so ruddy narrow?????? i have a welsh cob, who has a big neck, these rugs will not even do up and if by some miracle they do, he cannot put his head down......come on manufacturer's there's a whole untapped market out there!!

JessPickle

Visit site
have to admit the other day I put on my sisters rug on pickle by accident (they have exactly the same rug obviously in different sizes 5ft 9 and 6ft 9) was obsessed it had shrunk or pickle had put on weight oops

Blizzard

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
i have a problem with rugs too......why the f&&k are the "top brand" rugs such as FAL & rambo, so ruddy narrow?????? i have a welsh cob, who has a big neck, these rugs will not even do up and if by some miracle they do, he cannot put his head down......come on manufacturer's there's a whole untapped market out there!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I absolutely agree!

Lance is only 16.2hh, but has a very big neck, and is pretty chunky for a WB, and Im always having to buy chest extenders for anything other than a Masta, very annoying!

I bought Lance a horseware and like you say, he couldnt even put his head down!
mad.gif

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
I have the opposite problem
tongue.gif
My horse is 14.2hh but takes a 6ft 3" rug, so everything comes down to her knees! Masta rugs fit her best around the chest and her ample behind, and I've recommended them to several other people with big round horses. I just wish they did a slightly shorter version of them for little cobs!