Rant, stupid, inconsiderate horse riders.

Thistle

Visit site
I live in an isolated house, about a mile from the village and our driveway is also a bridleway. It splits at the house, the bridleway going down alongside the other paddocks and the other part going to the house.

I have 2 recently gelded colts (yearling and 2 year old) turned out in my front paddock.

2 people have just ridden past, they came off the bridleway and onto my house driveway (our gates are set back to allow the farm traffic to pass)

I heard squealing so went outside to look. These idiots have ridden their horses right over to my fence and are standing there with their horses heads right over the fence allowing their horses to 'chat' with mine. They are laughing as little Wally is rearing and getting a bit over excited.

These two are in this paddock as it is totally seperate from my other paddocks, they are away from the mares and are also well away from the bridleway. (My other paddocks are also bordered by bridleways, we have great hacking)

Firstly, I don't want any unknown horses in nose to nose contact with mine, it's not good practice and bad management.
Secondly they don't know whether my horses are healthy.
Thirdly they were in danger of causing an accident, either by them of their horses being struck by hooves or by the colts attempting to jump. The colts were also kicking out at each other as they wanted to get the mare first.

I shouted from the house that what they were doing was dangerous as the colts were still hormonal, they were totally bemused that what they were doing was a bit stupid.

OK I could understand if I had put the colts next to a path but these people rode onto my drive to do this. Aargh!

Last edited:

CBFan

Visit site
OMG! I'd have marched out there and given them a piece of my mind!! Colts or no colts, how utterly stupid and thoughtless to let their own horses come into direct contact with two unknowns... never mind on private land and over a fence etc etc... I am utterly dumbfounded daily by twonks like this...

Batgirl

Visit site
I totally understand, I would be livid, but could you do a double fence to stop them getting nose to nose contact?

Idiots are common unfortunately!

Patterdale

Visit site
I'd have let the dogs out :D

How bl**dy rude!! I hope you said something to them!
Someone did something similar with my horses about a year ago, left the (clearly marked) bridleway and came into the yard while mine were in the paddock. I saw them letting them 'talk' and went marching over - at which point one if the women said 'I hope your horses are vaccinated, we don't want to catch anything!'
I suggested they leave immediately before I caught them ha!

Morons!!

Marydoll

Visit site
OMG! I'd have marched out there and given them a piece of my mind!! Colts or no colts, how utterly stupid and thoughtless to let their own horses come into direct contact with two unknowns... never mind on private land and over a fence etc etc... I am utterly dumbfounded daily by twonks like this...

^^^^^ this
I have people who want to stop and feed mine, we're well off the main road, but walkers, cyclists all want to try to feed them god knows what, bread being the favourite, PLEASE DONT FEED THE HORSES THANKS .

Thistle

Visit site
I totally understand, I would be livid, but could you do a double fence to stop them getting nose to nose contact?

Idiots are common unfortunately!

Why should I go to the expense of double fencing, the paddock is at least 10m from the bridleway and is bordered by private land - my driveway.
I can't fence the bridleway way off as the farm needs to get large machinery past.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I'd have told them you think they had strangles! That would make them think about ever doing it again!

Seriously, a private sign on your drive may get through to the really thick ones.

We have the opposite - people complain because my horses canter along the fence when people ride past their field! Not quite sure what I'm meant to do to stop them.

Thistle

Visit site
I'd have let the dogs out :D

How bl**dy rude!! I hope you said something to them!
Someone did something similar with my horses about a year ago, left the (clearly marked) bridleway and came into the yard while mine were in the paddock. I saw them letting them 'talk' and went marching over - at which point one if the women said 'I hope your horses are vaccinated, we don't want to catch anything!'
I suggested they leave immediately before I caught them ha!

Morons!!

My dogs (3, fairly large and scary) were all out, but inside my gates. They are good guard dogs but I tell them off when they bark at horses, I'm considerate like that, so they just let out a gentle woof.

Batgirl

Visit site
You said you didn't want nose to nose contact, that is why you would do double fencing, putting an extra bit of electric tape is surely worth the expense to protect your horses form idiots?

They obviously have not right to come of the bridle way but obviously they do, it was just a suggestion, no need to bite my head off.

Firewell

Visit site
Eeek some people! We ride past a shetland farm that has stallions in the fields and mares with babies. We do often stop and look at the foals and let the horses look but we would never let them play with them over the fence!

Some people just don't think.

On the subject of bridleways and private land we have a bridleway that is also used as a footpath up the side of our house. Well one day we caught a random guy just walking through our garden! My OH asked what on earth he thought he was doing and the guy said he thought our garden was just part of the woods and countryside. Errrrrr No! Did you not notice the gate you just opened and walked through and the fact this is a Garden!!

Honestly some people.

Thistle

Visit site
I'd have told them you think they had strangles! That would make them think about ever doing it again!

Seriously, a private sign on your drive may get through to the really thick ones.

We have the opposite - people complain because my horses canter along the fence when people ride past their field! Not quite sure what I'm meant to do to stop them.

These people would have no idea what strangles is unfortunately.

A local lady lets novices borrow her horses, which is very kind of her. The people riding the horses were however local and well aware where the path runs. They just have no idea what so ever about horses. Next time I go past her house I may well just pop up her drive for a wander about and explain the problem to her.

Patterdale

Visit site
So frustrating. Unfortunately I don't think there's much you can do. Luckily most horse owners would have more sense (you would hope!) but idiots will always be idiots no matter how many fences and signs you have :(

We are in an AONB and some of the fields are near/on popular walking/sightseeing routes. I have tried and failed to stop people feeding mine. Every day thus time of year there are carrot crumbs etc round the gate.
Re the feeding, I finally realised I CANT stop them :(
So what I have done is put signs up on the gate saying what NOT to feed them, and this seems to be working. Not ideal though!

Thistle

Visit site
Eeek some people! We ride past a shetland farm that has stallions in the fields and mares with babies. We do often stop and look at the foals and let the horses look but we would never let them play with them over the fence!

Some people just don't think.

On the subject of bridleways and private land we have a bridleway that is also used as a footpath up the side of our house. Well one day we caught a random guy just walking through our garden! My OH asked what on earth he thought he was doing and the guy said he thought our garden was just part of the woods and countryside. Errrrrr No! Did you not notice the gate you just opened and walked through and the fact this is a Garden!!

Honestly some people.

Had something similar in my old house, someone left the foot path and walked across 2 fenced off paddocks to see the cute foal. They lifted child up into the mares face getting between her and the foal. Luckily the mare bit the mans shoulder rather than the child

Thistle

Visit site
You said you didn't want nose to nose contact, that is why you would do double fencing, putting an extra bit of electric tape is surely worth the expense to protect your horses form idiots?

They obviously have not right to come of the bridle way but obviously they do, it was just a suggestion, no need to bite my head off.

The only biting I've seen is the colts! As I said I'm not prepared to double fence.

Patterdale

Visit site
You've got me ranting too now lol!
People are ALWAYS walking into the farm, across the garden, in the fields etc. They seem to think that the reason we farm is to provide a petting zoo.
I am v friendly and if people ask I will take them to see the horses (we have a big caravan site so they often do....all summer lol) and the lambs but it's when they just march in like they own the place. If they got hurt it would be 'our fault' legally!

One thing that really winds me up is when people try and 'rescue' my dog. She is a little cute terrier and free ranges round the farm all day. She doesn't wear a collar because she has been caught on it twice by wriggling through stuff so it's too dangerous.

Twice now I have found holidaymakers with MY dog under their arm, right away from the farm saying 'oh, we found this poor stray dog in that farmyard, were going to go and hand her in/take her home.'

Unbelievable!!

And breathe...... :D

Littlelegs

Visit site
Having a word with the owner sounds the best plan. We regularly ride past a couple of fields, I was completely shocked when we hacked out & a woman riding ahead of us stopped to let her horse 'say hello', woman has had horses long enough to know better too. I calmly mentioned it may not be a good idea & why, but she thought it was sweet. Some people are pretty stupid. Realise the riders were novice in this case, but you don't need to ride at all to realise trespassing isn't on.

ROG

Visit site
As another said - use a simple sign with arrows on it
PRIVATE with pointing arrow (perhaps with a no entry Highway code sign)
PUBLIC with pointing arrow (perhaps a pic/silhouette of a horse and rider on it)

Batgirl

Visit site
Each to their own, you'll just have to come and rant every time someone goes over to your horses or put signs up like others have said and see if they work.

undertheweather

Visit site
Maybe a sign about how they have "ahgajdkh disease" which is a deadly disease for humans and they must only be approached with full breathing apparatus??

Flame_

Visit site
Nothing helpful to add but have some sympathy. There's just not a lot that can be done to prevent people being complete divs.

IIWY, I'd have given them a mouthful having caught them. They perhaps really don't know any better, not that it should be up to random strangers on the receiving end of people's stupidity to have to teach them basic horse stuff.

Marydoll

Visit site
People are ALWAYS walking into the farm, across the garden, in the fields etc. They seem to think that the reason we farm is to provide a petting zoo.
I am v friendly and if people ask I will take them to see the horses (we have a big caravan site so they often do....all summer lol) and the lambs but it's when they just march in like they own the place. If they got hurt it would be 'our fault' legally!

One thing that really winds me up is when people try and 'rescue' my dog. She is a little cute terrier and free ranges round the farm all day. She doesn't wear a collar because she has been caught on it twice by wriggling through stuff so it's too dangerous.

Twice now I have found holidaymakers with MY dog under their arm, right away from the farm saying 'oh, we found this poor stray dog in that farmyard, were going to go and hand her in/take her home.'

Unbelievable!!

:eek::eek::eek: please tell me shes chipped so if they ever leave with her you can get her back :D

Patterdale

Visit site
Yes she's chipped :D

I really don't want to lock her up all summer, but it's not safe no put a collar on her, she nearly hanged herself squishing through the fence one of the times!

It's not as if she leaves the yard or immediately surrounding fields, they have to actually trespass to 'rescue' her!!

Would like to spray 'I AM NOT LOST PLEASE LEAVE ME ALONE' in sheep spray on her but shes not big enough I'd run out of room :D

LollyDolly

Visit site

Unbelievable!!

Oh my goodness Patterdale that's terrible!! What do you say to them?
I know what I'd say if they were carrying off one of my dogs, then again they'd have a job to carry off two Collies under their arms haha! :D

Patterdale

Visit site
They can't carry the collies but one of them wanders a bit and they call them and try to make her go in a walk with them. Luckily they won't go with anyone else though.

I went absolutely mental btw - proper 'insert expletive here' stuff haha! :D
What would they do if I went into their garden and nicked off with their dog??
So yes, I went nuts. Ha :D

CathySirett

Visit site
gosh how frustrating OP -- esp since they had ot actually come away from the bridleway to do that -- VERY impolite!!!

my horses are surrounded by bridleway and footpaths - so I have done some workshops for the locals re what to feed and not feed a horse -- which seems to work as someone said earlier -- but I too am still stuck on how to fix what is apparently my problem of my horses running along the fenceline when other horses ride by LOL

I did suggest that if they stayed on the bridlway (which is 15 feet from the field) and didn't ride on the verge right next to the fence -- and if they walked relaxed -- that would make a difference as I know in those cases my horss just walk over, take a look and mosey away again -- but have learned that such advice doesn't go down well because its my horse's fault LOL

Cathy

Littlelegs

Visit site
Lol at your terrier Patterdale. Years ago I worked on a yard that in summer would get tourists & day trippers past it, people often came in to rescue mine when she was obviously lost in the outdoor arena, & on one occasion I hadn't seen her for 20 mins or so which was unusual. After some frantic searching a lad from the local hunt kennels turned up with her! Apparently she was 'rescued' by a couple, who instead of knocking on the house whose gates they'd opened to grab her, had driven to the hunt kennels in the next village to hand her in. Luckily as hounds were often exercised past the yard she was recognized & returned.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Thistle I feel your pain. We bought our smallholding, having first made sure that there were no rights of way across it. We live at the end of a track, the last of six houses. The yard starts half way along the house and has a gate across. The lane is prvate, this doesn't however prevent people coming up the lane, standing outside our living room window and feeding the horses! :eek: I have also ridden out with people who feel it is acceptable to allow their horses to lean over and 'talk' to other horses. A recent outbreak ofstrangles in the area has, thankfully put a stop to most of them :)