Rape Straw?

nic85

Visit site
Have seen bales of chopped Rape straw for sale in my local Country store. Its cheaper than shavings, big bales but ive never used it and dont know if it would cope being used as deep litter bedding?

Anyone use it? I might buy some instead of shavings for next year if its any good?!

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Some people like Rape Straw bedding, also branded as 'Bliss' & some don't. We are in the 'Don't' camp. I found it to be horrible, the horses were messy on it & although they advertise it as highly absorbant we didn't find that at all. They do it with 'Citronella' smell for the summer & 'Eucalyptus' in the winter (or used to). It still didn't make us want to stick with it. I sold the remaining bales to someone & went back to shavings.

If your horse is pretty clean in the stable then wood pellet is one of the best, but as with most beding, it depends on the horse, some don't get on with some bedding.

Janah

Visit site
I use Bliss, fantastic. Almost as absorbent as Aubiose but cheaper. My boy does well on it. Have deep littered for 6 months and also semi deep littered. It sits well and is light to muck out. No horrid smells. I recommend giving it a try.

JillA

Visit site
I have used it and like it - it performs pretty much like shavings IME. I only stopped on cost grounds - I get big bales of straw for a fraction of what it costs me to use that sort of product.

forever broke

Visit site
I've just changed onto it, I'm using the bedwell equinola. I started a deep litter bed with it about a month ago. So far I love it, looks warm and comfy, its absorbant and smells fab. Haven't taken any wet out and bed still looks dry and tidy. The base compacted down after a week or so and is solid and doesn't move so I think its good for deep litter.