Rarer than the giant panda

harveysmom

Visit site
It is true the Cleveland bay is rarer than the giant panda do you think the WWF would raise funds to save this endangered species if i asked nicely
It seems such a shame that we risk losing this breed because they are not in fashion
Its not suprising that we may lose them as even horse lovers have turned their back on them
They all have negative opinions of the breed, as they are so rare i doubt these critics have any real contact with a cleveland bay and are acting on hear say which is only making the situation worse
Take time to love and understand a cleveland bay before we lose them

harveysmom

Visit site
Unbelieveable as it sounds i red this in equestian life magazine they are rarer than the giant panda
There is no big breeding program, its down to mare owners to decide whether to breed or not and with things as they are at the moment not many are doing so
Only about 200 mares of breeding age worldwide and only on average 20 foals born per year the figures speak volumes

Rapidash

Visit site
Well, Cleveland Bays are not a species so I doubt the WWF would be interested...

There are lots of breeds with small numbers- including lots of interesting, unique ones. I'm probably being a bit unfair, but CBs do look like just another big brown horse.

harveysmom

Visit site
Well, Cleveland Bays are not a species so I doubt the WWF would be interested...

There are lots of breeds with small numbers- including lots of interesting, unique ones. I'm probably being a bit unfair, but CBs do look like just another big brown horse.
I have to agree with your comments but as i am trying to spark a bit of a debate you could say a panda is a black and white bear why save that
Yes Cleveland bays are boring bay,with the risk of getting my wrist slapped they do come in other colours as well but as far as the breed society are concerned this is a faulty colour
Unfortunatly for the CB, irish drafts and warmbloods are in vogue at the moment which mean cleveland bays are in the scrap heap
Some warmblood breeds have actually used cleveland bay to improve their bloodlines seems a shame Cleveland bays dont get the recognition for this
Our foreign conterparts seem to recognise the potential

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
The Cleveland, Suffolk, Eriskay & Hackney are all in the highest category; Critical
Exmoor & Dales are on the endangered list - which is better for the Exmoor than back in the 1970's as it really was critical then & people were being asked to put their mares in foal where possible then.

These numbers are from breeding animals (so geldings do NOT count)

harveysmom

Visit site
Exmoor Ponies are also said to be rarer than Pandas. I tell everyone that but nobody ever seems to care! :confused3:

Quite possibly as all our native breeds are on the RBST list.
Only 4 on the critical list Sufolk punch, Cleveland bay,Eriskay pony and now the Hackney has joined the critical list
Right again no one seems to care

Equinus

Visit site
I like Clevelands too, and have had dealings with a couple of breeders in the past. But unless they outcrossed in some way to get new blood I don't actually think they can survive as it seems inbreeding is common, which is bound to bite them on the bum one day. No idea about other rare breeds.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I'm not sure a horse breed is comparable to panda's (being a species and all that not, for the most part, a man made breed)....... and as such if they don't fit the 'market' their numbers will drop.

and Exmoor isn't really that big so it's not really a surprise that numbers should be small.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
possibly one of the biggest risks to Exmoors is idiots dumping other stallions/mares out on the moor to interbreed :( there are two other free living herds (Scotland and Cumbria) but they aren't that big and I'm not sure what happens when those breeders stop breeding as we need a proportion of them to be moor bred IMHO. It will be a crying shame if the go of the way of Bodmin and Dartmoor ponies. Exmoors do have a dedicated fan base though!

harveysmom

Visit site
I like Clevelands too, and have had dealings with a couple of breeders in the past. But unless they outcrossed in some way to get new blood I don't actually think they can survive as it seems inbreeding is common, which is bound to bite them on the bum one day. No idea about other rare breeds.

I am glad you are a Cleveland fan They need as many friends as they can get
I agree that in the future inbreeding may become a problem but at the moment the CBHS have the SPARKS scheme to make sure that nothing to closely related are bred
but if numbers continue to decrease this will become more difficult
I just hope their popularity increases which will lead to more being bred which will turn things around for them just as it did for the Exmoor