Ratcatcher meet hip flask

DizzyDaisy29

Visit site
Due to covid my hunt are putting on some ratcatcher meets as a finish off for the season. Anyone know the etiquette for hip flasks at ratcatcher meets?
Not sure I could do it without something merry in me but can find more discreet ways of getting my fix ??

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I have only ever really hunted bloodhounds, but it would never have occurred to me not to take the hip flask (as long as someone else was driving). I mean, how indiscreet is your hip flask?

palo1

Visit site
Due to covid my hunt are putting on some ratcatcher meets as a finish off for the season. Anyone know the etiquette for hip flasks at ratcatcher meets?
Not sure I could do it without something merry in me but can find more discreet ways of getting my fix ??

Traditionally I think, a hip flask for Autumn Hunting was not the thing but more likely because of the very early start and lack of formality to meets. Some hunts adopt ratcatcher after the Cheltenham Festival or 1st of April (Spring Hunting) but I suspect that this is more likely to be weather related or possibly to signal the coming end of the season. In any case I have noticed that whilst hip flasks are not especially public in the Autumn, for late end of season hunting there isn't quite such a thing about it. Take your hip flask!! No need to be offering it around anyway at the moment (in fact, certainly not) so you can be very discreet if that feels the right thing. Enjoy.

palo1

Visit site
What is a ratcatcher meet?

Tweed! Usually ratcatcher (which means the outfit of tweed with brown boots and either a tie or coloured stock) signals a more informal meet. It is basically never wrong to wear but is particularly correct for Autumn Hunting and late in the season. Ratcatcher can also signify non-subscribers, visitors who have a high 'rank' in another hunt but don't want to demonstrate that/show off or can be the handy outfit that you wear to signal that you are new to hunting/less experienced (so people will be understanding of any confusion you have lol). :) It's always lovely to wear tweed - we have the world's best here in Britain too. :) :)

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Tweed! Usually ratcatcher (which means the outfit of tweed with brown boots and either a tie or coloured stock) signals a more informal meet. It is basically never wrong to wear but is particularly correct for Autumn Hunting and late in the season. Ratcatcher can also signify non-subscribers, visitors who have a high 'rank' in another hunt but don't want to demonstrate that/show off or can be the handy outfit that you wear to signal that you are new to hunting/less experienced (so people will be understanding of any confusion you have lol). :) It's always lovely to wear tweed - we have the world's best here in Britain too. :):)
Thanks! ?

P.forpony

Visit site
In my neck of the woods you'd be looked askance at for turning up without a saddle flask, whatever you're wearing!
Go for it, have a merry day and enjoy yourself.